Old 06-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D15B VTEC w/Random hiccup/hesitation

I've been driving with my swap for over a week now, ED7 Hatch with
-D15B VTEC bare longblock
-TD42U Z6 dizzy
-Rywire OBD0->OBD1 conversion harness w/ New Denso 4 wire o2
-SPIDERRPM P28 ECU chipped w/P08 map->*CEL CIRCUIT BURNED OUT, CANT FLASH CODES!*
-Still using ORIGINAL A6 Intake manifold, engine harness, TPS/Map sensors, original injectors.

Its weird, it feels like im hitting a dead spot in the RPM band, it feels like a slight hiccup or hesitation, kinda like if you had a bad or loose ground and suddenly makes good conact it makes everything normal. Im leaning more towards electronics or ignition, i know its not FUEL particularly cause it would sound like fuel cut when it happens. It only happens in the 2600-3600rpm range while under load only. The more i apply throttle in that range the worst it feels, with really light throttle i can get past it unfelt(almost unoticeable, but still there). I dont suspect TPS due to being an RPM related not throttle position. Narrowband (Autometer) A/F gauge reads dead lean(almost 1 red bar) till 3600 then snaps out of it and goes rich @ WOT. Lets say if im cruising then need to accelerate up hill in 3rd gear, kinda feels like im boggin out(with partial throttle all the up to WOT!) till i pass 3600rpm or downshift to get into a higher rpm. I never had any drivability issues with my old engine, ran strong for the 100k+ miles i put on it(Daily Beaten)...The distributor is questionable and may be the possible weak link to this whole swap, i mean the ignition coil and or ignitor module. Bought the dizzy second hand with unknown # of miles on it, it was the only thing i didnt buy brand new. It has brand new OEM cap & rotor, Brand new Denso plugs came with the engine, not even used yet. Brand new NGK wire set...Engine grounds check out good, added 3 extra ground points to make sure, connections all tight & secured. Really sucks that i dont have a check engine light, that would probably make diagnosing this problem a lot easier!
Anybody else wanna clue me in on what i might be missing?
Imma go back to the shop on sunday to recheck all the mechanical stuff, valve clearance and cam timing, i know my t-belt is a little tight, whines when i rev it up.

Checked the ignition timing like 4 times this week, dailed in @ 16*, seems the mark on the crank is jumpy when checking or setting ignition timing(bounces back and forth in relation to timing cover markers. Also passed CA Test only smog! Super clean, i dont think its misfiring.
My gut feeling tells me its gotta be the coil or ignitor module...suspect high milage dizzy.
Increased ambient temp ( 81*) got it to act up consistently @ 3k RPMs

Last edited by StOHC EF; 06-05-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: D15B VTEC w/Random hiccup/hesitation

Sounds like an ignition problem. Have the same engine, but cant relate to your issue, sorry. But it really sounds like an ignition problem. Get an autozone dizzy