Notices

Are CRX's a big risk at getting stolen?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are CRX's a big risk at getting stolen?

I read another thread about a car disappearing. I know I can have a lock installed to keep one from going anywhere but what kind of retribution risk am I looking at?

I am not interested in having any kind of monster stereo; I'd be happy with a pullout head unit simply connected to factory level speakers. As much as I'd like to put nice seats I won't risk that. If I leave the interior stock and make it unstartable am I still asking for trouble simply because of what it is?
Old 02-23-2006, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Are CRX's a big risk at getting stolen? (es330td)

mhm. it's not the stereo- it's the car.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Are CRX's a big risk at getting stolen? (rsca_crx)

The CRX was never expensive so it didn't come from the factory with good security features. Someone who knows what they're doing can easily get into a CRX with little more than a license plate. Their ignition switches are easily overcome so it's easy to steal a CRX. CRX parts are in demand, both aftermarket and OEM stuff. So you have car that's parts are in demand and they are easy to steal the math isn't hard. Things like fuel pump cut off switches will help but the security would be Lojac..........
Old 02-23-2006, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hondas get stolen too much
Old 02-23-2006, 04:26 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by es330td &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">am I still asking for trouble simply because of what it is?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Pretty much. Its a Honda, and its a model that is sought after and OEM parts are getting harder and harder to come by. Its going to be a target no matter what you do.

Get a alarm, get a autolock/club and park it in a garage. Dont park it in shitty places, just take some precautions and you should be ok.

I wish they made aftermarket satellite tracking devices that you could use for your car. I would get one down the road.

oh yea expletive THEIVES
Old 02-23-2006, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Are CRX's a big risk at getting stolen? (stankin95CX)

I mentioned the stereo because having no stereo equipment to steal means that even if they break in there is nothing to take. Even when they break in as long as the car doesn't disappear i'm not out anything.

The current owner of the one I may get is pretty adept at working on vehicles. He is also a welder by trade, doing both artwork and commercial design and manufacture so I imagine he could probably come up with something that would be amazingly difficult to overcome.

Say you could do anything to the CRX you wanted. Where would you start to make a car that couldn't be stolen short of picking it up?

I am thinking it wouldn't be too tough to make something that could make it impossible to move the shifter.

Something could also be built in under the dash denying access to the pedals, say a metal box that locks in over them.

A hood lock could make it tough to get into the engine compartment.

Anything else?
Old 02-23-2006, 04:58 PM

id say yes cause right now they are cheap shell, and they are easily accessible. i dont even lock my doors usually cause it wouldnt be hard to break into, and i would rather have at least a recovered shell that is in decent shape lol
Old 02-23-2006, 05:37 PM

Yes they are, thats why when my boys park their Hondas there are 4 Dobremans watching over them.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Are CRX's a big risk at getting stolen? (wood)

well what ever u do u better think of somethine VERY tricky because i live at travis AFB and just last night over at my friends shop MS AUTO there are a bunch of car shops there, well his friend has a shop right around the corner and he left a 2000 Intrepid out side over the night and came to his shop today and it was gone.. you know the funny part IT DIDNT HAVE A MOTOR now who the expletive wants a intrepid with no motor and how the expletive did they take it? thats kinda wierd...
Old 02-23-2006, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (goCRXgo)

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!
Old 02-23-2006, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Pee Wee)

big, but not as big as integras.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:15 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVW

quick release steering wheel hub. Instead of buying some bullshit JDM shift **** or something like that, get this for 30 diollars.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hb420)

i use to have a crx for a daily driver . i kept it 110% stock so nobody would want to steal it . well somebody stole it . now days if its a honda , its a target to get stolen .
Old 02-23-2006, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MrDanger)

Ive gotten my CRX broken into 2 times already, the first time they took my photo albumn my check book and registration....left the car alone thank GOD!!! but after that i felt violated and my crx didnt feel the same for a couple weeks....i guess those same guys came back but this time INFRONT of my house...i dont live in the ghetto either...im guessing they got the address off the registration..or checkbook...but that time they took my head unit. SONY XPLODE, really nice too...and they took my amp. 800 watt MA audio, and they took all my cds....broke my center console and my air climate control.... i hate FCKING THIEVES....atleast send back my photo albumn...u got the address, and u got nothing out of my pictures.... after that i got power locks on my crx, and an alarm. and park it in the garage..... if i ever catch a person in my car..please believe they are gonna get a .45 slug in the chest.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (MrDanger)

88-00 hondas and acuras
Any car with HID's..
s2000's for the Seats,and radio..
Neons and saturn get stolen alot..
Ford pickups also..And toyota camrys..
5.0 mustangs used to be crazy stolen..All I can tell you is get lowjack..
Old 02-23-2006, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a MOMO hub, and JDM ITR non SRS steering wheel. How can I get a quick release setup to work on my 91 hatch?
Old 02-23-2006, 09:44 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Its true, popular to be stolen. As mentioned above, a steering wheel release is a great idea.

Old 02-23-2006, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dont matter what security equipment you have, thief can always push the car up to a trailer and tow it. I say everyone get some source of satelite tracking device/service. So that when your car become stolen, you'll know exactly where it's at. Then come over and say hi to the theif whichever way you decide to. Just remember one thing, be "polite", lol.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (123_vtec)

It's the car and everything on or in it. Thieves got inside my car (must have been at least 2 people), pushed it out into the main road and used their car to push my car up the street while they tried to get it started. They couldn't get it started so they just dumped it. Didn't take a thing inside the car, not even my girl's purse that was on the passenger side floor. I was very lucky to get the car back intact. Unfortunately, I didn't learn from it and while parked at friends house, someone broke in and stole my stereo and eyeglasses within 2 hours. Both times, there was no damage to anything. I know now how they did it after studying it myself and took several measures to make sure it doesn't happen again. Don't leave valuables in the car that will entice thieves either. Don't wait till it happens!!!! to do something about it...because it will happen eventually.

Now that I think of it, the bastard also stole my registration. Probably wanted to know where he could find my car in the future or something. I've since moved, so it's not an issue but what else could thieves want with the registration?
Old 02-24-2006, 03:44 AM

I hope this can help me in my future purchase, but it is true, nomatter wat it can get towed when the people know what they are looking for, i guess wat u really need to take into consideration is who you talk to and what meets you co show up to, because if they know your name thats enough to take your car for thiefs. Kill swithes seem to be the way to go, because it worries me since i would want to do the quick release steering since the stock one look too good for me i guess.

but can thiefs work around any of the kill switches?
Old 02-24-2006, 04:08 AM

I think I know how to keep the car from being driven off. For about $300 I can get one of those car immobilizers like the parking cops use. It covers the lug nuts and makes it so the car won't roll. It could always be dragged, of course, but a car with an alarm going off being dragged seems to be something thieves would just as soon leave alone, especially if the car also has a detachable steering wheel and a pull out stereo head unit.

I realize that a determined thief can steal any vehicle given enough time but with a combination of:
-an alarm
-a "boot" immobilizer
-a removable stereo
-a hood lock
-quick release steering wheel

is a thief likely to just leave it alone or mess it up because he is pissed about being thwarted. Do they take this personally or is it all about grab the goods to sell or move on?
Old 02-24-2006, 04:19 AM

best thing to do is to be careful what u say to strangers about your car even tho they seem cool and "legit" ... my 91 hatch got stolen back in '04 2 weeks before x-mas after getting fired from my job!! i kinda blame myself cuz i told a friend of a friend that i had a b16 but i really had a d16... i cant prove it was him cuz for one it was left in the mud and rained on so the cops didnt wanna check for fingerprints and for 2. the idiot left one of his shoes in my car full of mud.. they were pretty upset to find out that they just stole it for nothing... pissed off enuff to bust out my windshield, pass front, pass rear, and rear hatch window out. take my steering wheel cover, door speakers, jack-in-the box antenna ball, battery, radio, and cds (i just bout bob marleys greatest hits, DAMN). The ONE time that i didnt set my alarm or put on the auto lock... thats all it takes is one time!
Old 02-24-2006, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Re: Are CRX's a big risk at getting stolen? (chong951)

Low JACK! they are going to GPS tracking. Check with your state police to see if they are low jack friendly... i'm pretty sure they are. once low jack calls them... they all "hunt" for it... they love catching car theifs... they tend to net more cars once they track the low jack car down as well. for $15 a month its worth it.

now i just wish there was a motorcycle low jack installer that wasnt in florida! because i need to keep that under lock and key too!
Old 02-24-2006, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostedb16a3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedb16a3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a MOMO hub, and JDM ITR non SRS steering wheel. How can I get a quick release setup to work on my 91 hatch?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 02-24-2006, 06:10 PM

Default Re: (123_vtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 123_vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dont matter what security equipment you have, thief can always push the car up to a trailer and tow it. I say everyone get some source of satelite tracking device/service. So that when your car become stolen, you'll know exactly where it's at. Then come over and say hi to the theif whichever way you decide to. Just remember one thing, be "polite", lol.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Smart man, This is what I tell everyone.
Along with getting full coverage so the financial loss won't be as painfull.

However for some CRX'ers, it's a financial loss no matter how much insurance pays (especially if it has a K-series in it)

Police will never truely help you find your car unless you have lo-jack. They "accidently" run your plates when it's parked illegally with broken windows, on blocks.

My biggest gripe with people that are victims of car theft is that they do nothing to earn their CRX back... they sit on their *** and hope the police run across it.
I searched for 3 weeks, every day, investigating craigslist and ebay sales of any parts that could possibly be from my car and at the end of week 3, I found it. I would NEVER have seen it again if i hadn't hunted it down on my own.
Helped that the interior was custom and paint was fairly unique.

See my gallery if you want to see the before and afters.
http://www.norcalcrx.org/gallery/Nikozai

Modified by NikoZai at 7:40 PM 2/24/2006

Quick Reply: Are CRX's a big risk at getting stolen?