CRX cable to hydro swap Q's

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRX cable to hydro swap Q's

So my Y1 tranny took a doodoo on me 2 month ago and I've managed to pick up an ITR trans within the last few days and I'm kind of back and forth on my options for conversions. I already have a hasport mechanical conversion but it's 2nd hand and i've read many poor reviews about them. This morning i've been looking at the innovative cable hydro conversion that uses the master cylinder and it look like it's the best bet for proper function.

My question are...

Is the old mechanical design as **** poor as people make it out to be, Would innovative mechanical version be any better of a design?

OR'

Would the hydro system from innovative be a more solid system? Also with it you're given the options for a 5/8th or 3/4 master cylinder, At which point of aftermarket clutch would I need to make the jump from one to the other? Lastly where would you purchase the line to run from the master to slave?

Please forgive my noobness, I've dealt with strictly cable until now.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CRX cable to hydro swap Q's

Hasport makes a hydro conversion to use a clutch master cylinder too. Thats the way i'm going when i switch to an LS hydro.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 99SiStyle
Hasport makes a hydro conversion to use a clutch master cylinder too. Thats the way i'm going when i switch to an LS hydro.
Question: I have the Hasport Cable-Hydro kit (older version?) where it doesn't have a reservoir or whatever, just straight metal pieces. Anything wrong with it? Bought it awhile back but have never done the conversion yet, just picked up a hydro tranny so .. opinions?
Old 02-22-2010, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KevinT707
Question: I have the Hasport Cable-Hydro kit (older version?) where it doesn't have a reservoir or whatever, just straight metal pieces. Anything wrong with it? Bought it awhile back but have never done the conversion yet, just picked up a hydro tranny so .. opinions?
If your talking about the Hasport "EFBHCL" http://hasport.com/store/index.php/efbhcl.html
We have sold a thousand of them and they work great for stock type clutch, IF they are assembled correctly with the correct hardware. If they are taken apart and not put back together the right way or if you use the wrong hardware they don't work worth a damn. We have taken steps in the last few years to insure you can't put them together wrong or mix up the hardware. But a lot of the older ones have been resold and re-assembled by others. If you have one that isn't working the way it should, contact Hasport and we can go over it with you.

The Hasport "CMA" http://hasport.com/store/index.php/cma.html works with both stock type clutches and racing type clutches with high pedal effort pressure plates or multiple discs.

I hope this info is useful.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:55 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we used a hydro gsr transmission with the hasport hydro to cable conversion (no reservoir, all mechanical pieces) and have no complaints. worked very well for us.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a 90 dx with a b16a. gsr hydro trans...im currently using the newer version of the mechanical arm conversion kit. i also had the master cylinder adapter on the car for awhile too but i didnt like the release at all...seems it just didnt engage the clutch enough so im sticking with the mechanical arm setup
Old 02-23-2010, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a willwood cable to hydro conversion. It works awesome!!!
Old 02-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by keithg
If your talking about the Hasport "EFBHCL" http://hasport.com/store/index.php/efbhcl.html
We have sold a thousand of them and they work great for stock type clutch, IF they are assembled correctly with the correct hardware. If they are taken apart and not put back together the right way or if you use the wrong hardware they don't work worth a damn. We have taken steps in the last few years to insure you can't put them together wrong or mix up the hardware. But a lot of the older ones have been resold and re-assembled by others. If you have one that isn't working the way it should, contact Hasport and we can go over it with you.

I hope this info is useful.
Very useful, thanks a lot! The 1st link is exactly what I have + the mount for the hydro tranny. I bought it used but I looked it over awhile back and it seemed to be together and not missing anything. http://hasport.com/store/tech/efb2.pdf
Originally Posted by EFRue57
we used a hydro gsr transmission with the hasport hydro to cable conversion (no reservoir, all mechanical pieces) and have no complaints. worked very well for us.
Thanks for your input. I will be using my existing ACT-HD Pressure Plate, think my leg will fall off or I might be fine?
Old 02-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome, Looks like the crowd is in favor of the mechanical version. I'll purchase the innovative version tonight as I've had poor service from hasport in the past.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by diamondstarsforever
Awesome, Looks like the crowd is in favor of the mechanical version. I'll purchase the innovative version tonight as I've had poor service from hasport in the past.

the innovative clutch master cylinder adapter seems to work excellent from what my buddy says. he has it on his rex. it may bee cause of how the innovative design is slanted more than hasport's.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by diamondstarsforever
I am truly sorry to hear that, Is there anything I can do to help? Please email me. keith@hasport.com
Also, I did not mean to hi-jack your thread, I was trying to be helpful.

Last edited by keithg; 02-24-2010 at 08:53 PM. Reason: added contact info
Old 03-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also will my current (DA-Integra) axles work with my B-Series Hydro tranny? What else is needed for the cable to hydro swap besides the different clutch disc + mount kit?
Old 03-05-2010, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KevinT707
Also will my current (DA-Integra) axles work with my B-Series Hydro tranny? What else is needed for the cable to hydro swap besides the different clutch disc + mount kit?
your axle seal in the tranny will most likely be different and leak. DA and DC axle seals are different sizes on the drivers side of the tranny. be sure to get the seal that matches your axles.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jonnyt1130
your axle seal in the tranny will most likely be different and leak. DA and DC axle seals are different sizes on the drivers side of the tranny. be sure to get the seal that matches your axles.
Yeah, I was told about the seals before. So when you say, "DA and DC axle seals are different sizes on the drivers side" do you mean that their lengths are different or that the splines are different?
Old 03-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The seals themselves are different sizes. The DC axles need a seal that I guess you could say has a male end. I have the part numbers for both.

DC: 91205-PL3-A01 OIL SEAL (35X56X8) (ARAI)

DA: 91205-PL3-B01 OIL SEAL (40X56X8) (ARAI)
Old 03-15-2010, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jonnyt1130
The seals themselves are different sizes. The DC axles need a seal that I guess you could say has a male end. I have the part numbers for both.

DC: 91205-PL3-A01 OIL SEAL (35X56X8) (ARAI)

DA: 91205-PL3-B01 OIL SEAL (40X56X8) (ARAI)
Thanks!
Old 03-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The best solution here is probably to find a '92 - '93 Integra Cable tranny case and swap the hydro ITR guts in it. It must be a '92 - '93 case, '90 - '91 use a smaller input shaft.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry to thread jack
But I have a D-series hydro trans I was going to get the mechanical linkage...but I have a heavy duty clutch setup. So Im going to buy http://hasport.com/store/index.php/cma.html. My question is does anybody sell just the mounts for the hydro trans?
Old 03-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
The best solution here is probably to find a '92 - '93 Integra Cable tranny case and swap the hydro ITR guts in it. It must be a '92 - '93 case, '90 - '91 use a smaller input shaft.
Hey, would that be the S1 or YS1 transmission code?
Old 03-15-2010, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm shocked nobody has suggested the Suja 1 Motoring EF cable/hydro conversion. It's a little more work to install, but IMO is the most proper way of doing the conversion. It completely replaces the cable and mounts the MC directly on the clutch pedal.

I installed it on my LS-VTEC with B16 hydro transmission and a Stage 4 Competition Clutch. Even with a clutch that has a holding capacity of over 400ft-lbs of torque, it is only slightly stiffer than my OEM clutch, and I don't have to worry about snapping a clutch cable or worse; snapping a pedal assembly.

I've never used a mechanical assembly so can't comment on them, however just looking at how they work I do not want to deal with stretched cables.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JustOneOrTwoPosts
Hey, would that be the S1 or YS1 transmission code?
YS1
Old 03-15-2010, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon7 Re: CRX cable to hydro swap Q's

Originally Posted by 94EG8
YS1
Thanks buddy.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jorsher
I'm shocked nobody has suggested the Suja 1 Motoring EF cable/hydro conversion. It's a little more work to install, but IMO is the most proper way of doing the conversion. It completely replaces the cable and mounts the MC directly on the clutch pedal.

I installed it on my LS-VTEC with B16 hydro transmission and a Stage 4 Competition Clutch. Even with a clutch that has a holding capacity of over 400ft-lbs of torque, it is only slightly stiffer than my OEM clutch, and I don't have to worry about snapping a clutch cable or worse; snapping a pedal assembly.

I've never used a mechanical assembly so can't comment on them, however just looking at how they work I do not want to deal with stretched cables.
Whats the cost for it?
Old 03-15-2010, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive messed with lots of them all mech. cable to hydro conversion.... but the willwood with resevior im using at the moment works well i got stage 4 6 puk CC and the release is light and smooth. thats the ez way or like other said to do a lil more work and get the full conversion.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I bought this used kit awhile back and have even compared it with Hasport's: http://hasport.com/store/tech/efb2.pdf but I'm still unsure on which nuts/bolts/washers I will absolutely need. Keep in mind that I'm currently running a cable tranny (B-Series) in my CRX already; not sure if any of the existing trans. bolts or whatever can be used so wanted to throw that out there. If someone could tell me EXACTLY what I need (hardware wise) I would greatly appreciate it!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: CRX cable to hydro swap Q's