Notices

cluster says overheating but not overheating

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cluster says overheating but not overheating

i have a 91 crx sir shipped from japan that the cluster has been saying lately that the engine is overheating. i pulled a spare thermoswitch from my other crx and tried plugging that into the harness where the thermoswitch connects under the distributor. the car still says it's overheating, though the thermoswitch is just hanging there. i reconnected that thermoswitch under the distributor and tried the same with the thermoswitch on the back of the block, leaving it hanging while i restarted the car. still said overheating. i reconnected the thermoswitch on the back of the block and tried with the intake air temp sensor on the manifold. all of these i connected to the same thermoswitch that was pulled from my spare crx, and all have the same connector. the cluster still said overheating. it says so from the time i start the car, whether it's been driven lately or not. i live in minnesota and it is highly unlikely that my car can overheat immediately. checked the oil and found no mayo under the cap. upper and lower radiator hoses heat up. i even slid under the car and disconnected the sensor that goes into the catalytic convertor, thinking that may give a signal of overheating as well. no avail. does anyone have any input as to whether something is just grounding out and giving this false dummy light? any input would be greatly appreciated. racking my brain but still driving the car because it isn't really overheating. i don't think it is anyway.
thanks in advance.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: cluster says overheating but not overheating (stmizner)

See if the yel/grn wire that connects to the temp gage sending unit is grounded.
If the yel/grn wire on the back of the block was grouned your radiator fan would always be energized.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cluster says overheating but not overheating (eda6)

energized as in running? the fan isn't running. thanks for the reply though. any other ideas?
Old 04-30-2005, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: cluster says overheating but not overheating (stmizner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stmizner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">energized as in running? </TD></TR></TABLE>

yes

is the yel/grn wire under the distributor grounded?
Old 04-30-2005, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cluster says overheating but not overheating (eda6)

i'll check tonight.