Notices

car wont idle right after valve lash adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 04:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default car wont idle right after valve lash adjustment

it idles at about 200 rpms after its warmed up but when i first start it it wont idle for ****, any ideas?
Old 09-25-2006, 05:23 PM

Default Re: car wont idle right after valve lash adjustment (gold_ef)

200 rpm? are you sure you didnt tighten them too much?
Old 09-25-2006, 05:27 PM

Default Re: car wont idle right after valve lash adjustment (Suck my DX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Suck my DX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">200 rpm? are you sure you didnt tighten them too much?</TD></TR></TABLE>

200 sometimes, 1000 sometimes...its a dohc zc
Old 09-25-2006, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gold_ef &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it idles at about 200 rpms after its warmed up but when i first start it it wont idle for ****, any ideas?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea you messed up the vavle adjustment. do it agian and make sure it is at TDC compression when you do it. best way to do it is set cylinder 1 to TDC compression and do the adjusment on that cylinder then rotate the crank 90 degrees and do cylinder 3 then 4 then 2. hope that help and hopefully you didn't bend a vavle
Old 09-25-2006, 05:55 PM

Default Re: car wont idle right after valve lash adjustment (SFlCrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SFlCrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yea you messed up the vavle adjustment. do it agian and make sure it is at TDC compression when you do it. best way to do it is set cylinder 1 to TDC compression and do the adjusment on that cylinder then rotate the crank 90 degrees and do cylinder 3 then 4 then 2. hope that help and hopefully you didn't bend a vavle </TD></TR></TABLE>

i didnt bend a valve, i know that because it runs perfect at higher rpms
Old 09-25-2006, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Redo the valve adjustment. Remember if you are using feeler guages, try putting in a the next larger feeler and if it goes in, its too loose; If the smaller feeler doesnt even go in, then its too tight. Also maybe try putting in a long screwdriver into the spark plug holes, turn the crank and catch each piston at TDC when you notice the screwdriver at its peak.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:16 PM

Default Re: car wont idle right after valve lash adjustment (CRXperiment)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRXperiment &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Redo the valve adjustment. Remember if you are using feeler guages, try putting in a the next larger feeler and if it goes in, its too loose; If the smaller feeler doesnt even go in, then its too tight. Also maybe try putting in a long screwdriver into the spark plug holes, turn the crank and catch each piston at TDC when you notice the screwdriver at its peak. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i did that, thats why im confused
Old 09-25-2006, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You sure you had the right valve lash specs on the DOHC ZC? I'd double check them with another source or an FSM. Also, maybe you forgot to rehook some breather hoses from the valve cover?
Old 09-25-2006, 07:01 PM

Default Re: car wont idle right after valve lash adjustment (CRXperiment)

to do it in half the time you can do cylinders 1 and 4 at the same time and 2 and 3 at the same time
Old 09-26-2006, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Re: car wont idle right after valve lash adjustment (Suck my DX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Suck my DX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">to do it in half the time you can do cylinders 1 and 4 at the same time and 2 and 3 at the same time</TD></TR></TABLE>
good way to end up with valve adjustment too loose - when #1 piston is up on compression, #4 piston is up on exhaust - when #4 piston is up on exhaust, the camshafts are in the overlap position - on overlap, both intake and exhaust valves are slightly open - adjusting them when they are open will result in them being loose when they are closed

you can save a little time by bringing it up on compression on #1 and adjusting both intakes and exhausts on #1 - adjust exhausts on #2 and intakes on #3 - rotate engine 180 degrees to bring #4 up on compression and adjusting both intakes and exhausts on #4 - adjust intakes on #2 and exhausts on #3

Modified by jlicrx at 9:05 AM 9/26/2006
Old 09-26-2006, 07:05 AM

Default Re: car wont idle right after valve lash adjustment (jlicrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jlicrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
good way to end up with valve adjustment too loose - when #1 piston is up on compression, #4 piston is up on exhaust - when #4 piston is up on exhaust, the camshafts are in the overlap position - on overlap, both intake and exhaust valves are slightly open - adjusting them when they are open will result in them being loose when they are closed</TD></TR></TABLE>
no ****? ive never run into a problem that way...and i always double check my clearances afterwards...weird
Old 09-27-2006, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you could of also missed up the firing order by swapping the plug wires at the dizzy done that before
Old 11-16-2006, 05:58 AM

Default Re: (SFlCrx)

if your valve lash too close (tight) then valve will not close completely means compression leak, poor performance and noway you can adjust your idle to smooth.

by all means do it again.

keep it loose side. (but not too loose) insert the feeler gauge - pull it back now did you feel tiny drag when you pulling the gauge, yes your valve adjustment right on the dot.