Notices

Axle Boot Leaking: How long do I have?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle Boot Leaking: How long do I have?

I was doing an oil change on my 1990 CRX Si this afternoon and noticed that the inner CV boot on the right side of the car has a small hole is leaking. I don't anticipate being able to replace the boot and/or axle for ~4000 miles.

Here is the question:
Will the axle last this long, or is failure guaranteed?

Thanks for your input/experience.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Axle Boot Leaking: How long do I have?

how small is it? how messy is it? if it's early enough you may be able to pull the axle out, clean it, replace or repair the boot, and re pack with grease. but if it's clicking and completely messed up and is way dirty, then you're SOL
Old 05-22-2009, 12:18 PM

Is the axle clicking yet? I've driven clicking axles under mild boost for 10K miles without them breaking. You should be fine, but avoid heavy acceleration in tight turns.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can get a replacement boot cheap, like $10. taking the axle out is not that hard.
if you insist on waiting, you could squirt some grease in there, clean the hole, and fill it with urethane or something. but dirt has probably gotten in and you need to take it out, clean, grease and new boot.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well you can just ride that bitch out till it breaks, like i used to do, not reccomended lol
or you can just go and grab a new axle. i might have a couple layin around let me know i can ship them out to you if you want!
Old 05-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Reject Papi

rebuilding it is probably the cheapest option you would have. there was a diy in the last issue, or two issues ago of honda tuning magazine. explains from start to finish how to rebuild an axle.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:55 PM
Track Advocate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my inner cv boots have been ripped to shreds for over a year...nothing clicking...although i have have just jinxed myself
Old 05-22-2009, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you all for your responses.

Originally Posted by Bunger
Is the axle clicking yet? I've driven clicking axles under mild boost for 10K miles without them breaking. You should be fine, but avoid heavy acceleration in tight turns.
I drive like an old grandpa these days, compared to when I first started driving. 10k miles, I can do that.

Originally Posted by zrickety
you can get a replacement boot cheap, like $10. taking the axle out is not that hard.
if you insist on waiting, you could squirt some grease in there, clean the hole, and fill it with urethane or something. but dirt has probably gotten in and you need to take it out, clean, grease and new boot.
I was wondering if there was some way to temporarily seal the boot. Thanks for the suggestion of using urethane. I'll try to clean it up and get some urethane curing tomorrow.

Originally Posted by jhammond_82
rebuilding it is probably the cheapest option you would have. there was a diy in the last issue, or two issues ago of honda tuning magazine. explains from start to finish how to rebuild an axle.
Thanks for the tip about the Honda Tuning article on axle rebuilding. I quickly browsed it and it looks good. I will read the article more thoroughly later.

Originally Posted by BLU CIVIC
my inner cv boots have been ripped to shreds for over a year...nothing clicking...although i have have just jinxed myself
May the axle gods treat us well in keeping our CV joints happy.

My situation is that I'm heading off for summer employment and won't have my tools or a place to work on the CRX. That's why I won't be able to fix it for about 4000 miles. What would be great is if someone would let me use their driveway/garage and tools so I could fix the boot. I'm hoping to meet someone once I start work that will let me utilize their resources, but the worst case scenario is that the job won't get done until late August.

I guess I won't know if I don't ask: Is anyone on H-T in the Milwaukee/Racine Wisconsin area feeling super generous and willing to let me use their space/tools to fix my boot some weekend?

Thanks again guys!

-----
For future reference for myself and others, here are a few links worth browsing:
Lower ball joint removal: https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/popping-front-lower-balljoints-other-random-observations-887859/
Brief axle replacement instructions: https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...83720&p=671717
CV boot banding tools: http://www.brandsplace.com/0384-kdt3191.html , http://www.toolking.com/alltrade_648479.aspx , http://www.toolfetch.com/Category/Au...xle/KD3191.htm
-----
Old 05-23-2009, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

They have these axle boots that you can buy that are cut in half, and only require you to cut off your old one and wrap the new one over. You just bolt up the new one with the supplied bands and your done.

All you'll need is a jack, 1 hour probably, and a knife.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Fook_me_honda
They have these axle boots that you can buy that are cut in half, and only require you to cut off your old one and wrap the new one over. You just bolt up the new one with the supplied bands and your done.

All you'll need is a jack, 1 hour probably, and a knife.
It seems like almost all the feedback I read about split boots is negative. Do you have experience using them? Regardless, it might be a good temporary solution for me!

I found a writeup on installing split boots on an Integra, but unfortunately the images didn't load for me. They reference Speedi-Boot kit #03606 for their application. It turns out that according to the manufacturer, the same kit will work for a CRX. It concerns me a bit that they don't specify inner/outer...I'm guessing it is universal and will work in either location. I found the boot kit available from O'Reilly Auto Parts for $16.99...pretty reasonable IMO.

Thanks for motivating me to look into split boots rather than ignore them as an option. I would be interested to hear if you have any experience with them.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im actually replacing my front outer driver side boot in like 15 minutes, ill let u know how it goes lol.

btw when i called autozone they had two types, the 2 piece boot and the one piece. and the guy told methere its better to get the one piece and suffer through taking off the entire knuckle and such becuase you will have less problems with it.