Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ANOTHER "Will not start" DOHC ZC

Ok folks, so here's the run down...

1991 Honda Civic SI
OBD0 Dohc zc w/ stock pm7 computer

I bought this car and allowed it to sit a month or two before I dove in. It needed a couple things, such as a new head gasket and a fuel pump. So I got those things taken care of and I take it for a spin right? Long story short, the car stalls. I push the car home. (wow am I out of shape)

The timing had skipped considerably. I'd say 2-3 teeth. My bad. Maybe the tensioner wasn't the tightest. So I re-time and still I get nothing. At this point I'm thinking I for sure bent the valves. Damn it! I get the compression tester out and what do I find? 150-151-150-150 Consistant numbers across the board. Some would say a little low for a jdm zc, but not "bent valve" low. Sigh of relief.

I covered all the bases. Fuel, Compression, Spark, Timing, and NOTHING

FUEL:
I turn the key to the on position and I definitely hear my fuel pump prime. I check pressure at the fuel rail and I definitely have pressure. I check the plugs and they are moist with fuel. Just for shiggles, I poured a small amount of gas into the throttle body and cranked. Still nothing. Conclusion... I HAVE FUEL. (And my main relay is functioning perfectly)

COMPRESSION:
Once again, my numbers across the board were 150-151-150-150. That seems good to me.

SPARK:
I checked spark at each plug wire and I've got what looks to be excellent spark... I'll double check tomorrow, but it looked WHITE. (aka strong spark) I also replaced the plugs with brand new ngk copper cores.

TIMING:
Timing the zc is pretty easy. I hope to god the guy I bought it from purchased the right belt (I'm pretty sure it is) but the lines just seem a little crooked. Keep in mind, I had the thing running well with this belt, so I find it highly unlikely it's the wrong one. Anywho, this is one of my only theories... That possibly I have the timing off slightly, which would account for my lower compression numbers and the car not starting. But wouldn't the motor at least TRY to start if the timing was off very slightly?? You'd think it would putter or backfire.

Lastly, I questioned the ECU. But it is priming the motor. Check engine light ON for 3 seconds then OFF. Also when I turn the key to the on position, my little red light on the ecu flashes once. I've read that this is an indication that it is working properly.

CLIFF NOTES:

I have fuel, compression, spark, timing.

This motor should start.... Any suggestion or ideas are much appreciated. I have faith in you honda-tech!
Old 09-09-2011, 12:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ANOTHER "Will not start" DOHC ZC

It's got me stumped guys..
Old 09-09-2011, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nobody?
Old 09-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Assuming you have air it seems you have everything needed to start. The only thing I would question is your timing. Dohc zc's arent the easiest to time but mine starts with it off one tooth. So at TDC (crank) are your cams perfectly even with the head or just close? And how much slack is in your belt (since you mentioned it jumped and wasn't tensioned properly) on the exhaust side compared to the intake side?
Old 09-09-2011, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the input JDpower. I figured it out today. You'll never guess.

It was the freaking rotor bolt in the distributor. It had fallen out. What made it soooo hard to find was the fact that I was getting excellent spark! I had all 4 plugs out at one time and I had a friend crank the motor and I was getting a syncronized 1-3-4-2 so I never guessed to look under the dizzy cap. I just got curious a looked.

Thanks again. Wow this was a short thread.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:45 PM
Trial User

You know I think I am having the your exact problem. I have all the above good signs but no start. The funny thing is I took apart my distributor and found a tiny screw(bolt) in it. Was yours tiny? I am thinking that might be my exact problem. I am going to go take a look at it tomorrow and see if its the same problem. I hope and pray this is it I have nearly replaced everything on my Rex and getting close to fully restoring it. I would appreciate any feedback you could give me. Thank you