Notices

about how much would it cost to title an imported car from japan?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2003, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default about how much would it cost to title an imported car from japan?

I know emissions is an issue, and the windshield used to be. but what does the government want to issue a legal title for a car?
Old 07-04-2003, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: The Land Of Car Thieves/Rising Gas Prices Daygo, CA, US
Default Re: about how much would it cost to title an imported car from japan? (crxcess)

a lot depending on the car......
Old 07-04-2003, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: about how much would it cost to title an imported car from japan? (crxcess)

on a crx si-r
Old 07-04-2003, 01:13 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crxcess &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">on a crx si-r</TD></TR></TABLE>

You cant legally
Old 07-04-2003, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why oh why oh why...... are u really considering this? i mean come on.
did u know they made crxs in the USDM too?
Old 07-04-2003, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: about how much would it cost to title an imported car from japan? (Bryant)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bryant &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You cant legally</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm not so sure about that, I saw, I think it was a "US Customs"
website that had all these criteria and guidelines for importing cars.
Try searching yahoo or google for that. Or, search here on HT.
And call your state DMV for more info.
I know NJ has a special ph# for it.
Old 07-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: about how much would it cost to title an imported car from japan? (elmalouno)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elmalouno &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why oh why oh why...... are u really considering this? i mean come on.
did u know they made crxs in the USDM too?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Come on, why oh why?
Power steering, ABS, Glass roof, power windows, leather interior and, Oh yeah, factory insatalled VTEC, need any more reasons. Come on.
Old 07-04-2003, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: about how much would it cost to title an imported car from japan? (4crx4me)

if u got the loot then fine but it takes alot.
Old 07-04-2003, 03:14 PM

Default Re: about how much would it cost to title an imported car from japan? (4crx4me)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4crx4me &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I'm not so sure about that, I saw, I think it was a "US Customs"
website that had all these criteria and guidelines for importing cars.
Try searching yahoo or google for that. Or, search here on HT.
And call your state DMV for more info.
I know NJ has a special ph# for it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope you can not leagally have a RHD honda from japan in the US. If you want I can get the list of cars that are eligable to be imported here and the only RHD car i know of right now is the skyline.
Old 07-04-2003, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: about how much would it cost to title an imported car from japan? (Bryant)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bryant &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Nope you can not leagally have a RHD honda from japan in the US. If you want I can get the list of cars that are eligable to be imported here and the only RHD car i know of right now is the skyline.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Bryant, You could be correct. I never actually actively persued it.
But how can you explain the right hand drive cars I've have seen on the road then. Granted, where I live it's an ocaisional Rolls or MG, not honda.
But still, how can that be explained?
Show car status?
They must be allowed in under some exemption.
Old 07-04-2003, 03:35 PM

cars over a certain # of years dont matter. I would have to look it up or ask my friend about it I think canada is 15 years and USA is 20-25 or something. So the older benz and such are okay.
Old 07-04-2003, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, that explains the old british cars I see.
But what about the occaisional Ferio and such or City turbo?
Old 07-04-2003, 03:53 PM

ppl. may have them, but they are not supposed to. Just trying to help ppl out so they dont get in trouble with the law or worst. Have to pay to have the car exported or have the car crushed.
Old 07-04-2003, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info, man. Cause I was always wondering how they did, too.
Old 07-04-2003, 05:32 PM

Want to know how? Import two and let the US crash test one of them...
Old 07-04-2003, 06:20 PM

Default Re: (sparq)

You can do it legally, But no one want to take the time and money (lots and lots of money) to do it the right way. :Shrugs: oh well. RHD is pointless in the US, unless you deliver mail
Old 07-04-2003, 06:29 PM

Default Re: (Bryant)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bryant &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can do it legally, But no one want to take the time and money (lots and lots of money) to do it the right way. :Shrugs: oh well. RHD is pointless in the US, unless you deliver mail</TD></TR></TABLE>
Exactly, to do it legally the car must be crash tested. Japan doesn't have as strict of safety regulations. Motorex spent ALOT of money to get the Skyline legal. They went threw multiple cars before it was legalized. Basically to do the CRX you would have to add door supports, more roofsupport, and i believe more front and rear support. Then it has to be crash tested and PASS. If it doesn't pass, gotta get another car and try again. THAT'S why no one does it.
Old 07-04-2003, 06:33 PM

Default Re: (boosted_zc)

Hooray someone that useses their brain!
Old 07-04-2003, 06:38 PM

Default Re: (Bryant)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bryant &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hooray someone that useses their brain! </TD></TR></TABLE>
Yup, there are a few of us out there.
Old 07-04-2003, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sparq)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sparq &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Want to know how? Import two and let the US crash test one of them...</TD></TR></TABLE>
Actually it takes twelve cars to get crash tested (head on, offset, side impact, etc.), and that's only if they are approved. There is a list of cars that are legal for import, some even RHD, but they must have all the same emission equipment and safety equipment as their US counterparts. So basicall in answer to the original question, you can not import an SiR legaly for use on the roads. But it would still serve as a good parts car.
Old 07-04-2003, 11:29 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bryant &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ppl. may have them, but they are not supposed to. Just trying to help ppl out so they dont get in trouble with the law or worst. Have to pay to have the car exported or have the car crushed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I seriously doubt the car would have to be crushed, haha... What if it were a parts or all show/race vehicle. I mean at worst, what?? Hard time on insurance maybe... But i would mos def say having a car crushed or exported is alittle extreme... My dad has a RHD mini-cooper that he had imported and it is over 15 yrs old but he still had a hard time with insuance, becasue if you got generic isurance ,i.e."state farm" or somion then somin like a RHD honda CRX or mini-cooper more then likely will not be in there system.
Old 07-04-2003, 11:32 PM

Look around, dont got throught the trouble of importing when there are already a few in the US for sale... Would save you time, and tons of trouble.
Old 07-05-2003, 02:39 PM

Default Re: (sxecustoms)

Hey, I didnt say it wa illegal to buy one and then use it as a parts car or for off road use. But its highley illegal to use it on the street is what im trying to say.
Old 07-05-2003, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re

heres one forsale on ebay... go buy that http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...=6255
Old 07-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: re (elmalouno)

you can also get by if it is only for race and show purposes but still wouldnt be legally street driven. Only after the crash test. To legalize a crash approved vehicle is very expensive. I think it was like 19k dollars to register just an R33. It varies on year of vehicle....

Quick Reply: about how much would it cost to title an imported car from japan?