Notices

90-91 EF Sedan Auto Belt Fix!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 90-91 EF Sedan Auto Belt Fix!

alright i've seen so many threads asking, "my auto belts dont retract.", or "why does my belt indicator light flash and beep even tho my belts are buckled?". I was one of these people but i have finally fixed my belts to work perfectly, i thought i'de share what exactly i did and i will post pics later to help out with my instructions.

First, you have to make sure the seatbelt motor wires are connected to your positive batter terminal. These wires are white/red and white/green, one wire per side. These need to be connected either with fuses or directly connected to the terminal. Also, check if you have the OEM positive battery terminal with the fuse holders for the belt wires, make sure the fuse holders are nice and clean. (pic will come shortly)

Second, look behind the center console (where the stereo/climate control is) and you will notice a male plug that is green in color, and the female plug which is also green. This controls the passive restraint sysem as a whole, and NEEDS to be plugged in for anything seatbelt related to work. (pic will come shortly)

Third, in the under dash fuse box, fuse #1 is a 15amp, which controls the seatbelt indication. It also controls cluster lights, hazards, and a few others. Make sure this is not blown, replace if it is. (pic will come shortly)

Fourth, under the driver seat and passenger seat, there are wires coming up out of the floor board that are both about 8" long. They have male connecting ends that need to be plugged in to the female recieving plug coming out of your auto seat belt drums. (seat belt box or whatever you want to call it). These wires are for the seat belt indication light on the cluster, as well as the beeping sound if either person does not have their belt buckled. (pic will come shortly). There is also a fuse in the engine bay fuse box located above the passenger side wheel well. In there, is you Horn/Brake fuse, and for some reason if this blows, your belts dont work. I dont know why, but check to make sure its good and replace if its not. (pic will come shortly)

Lastly, inside each door jamb, there is a "L" shaped plastic piece that is held on by one screw and is connected to one wire. These control the "door" indicator on your cluster and are related to the auto seat belts. The passenger side "L" piece is the most important, as this allows your belt buckle to slide along its track when the door is either open or closed. The driverside belt buckle is tied into the ignition, when the key is turned to the ACC position, the buckle slides towards you, "strapping" you in. When the driver side door is opened, the buckle does nothing, when the key is taken out of the ignition, the buckle slides down letting you out of the car. the "L" plastic pieces are notorious for being "stuck" in one place as they move left or right when the door is open or closed. So like i said, check to see if these are plugged in and functioning properly. (pic will come shortly)

Thats pretty much it, assuming all of the electrical components are working, no frayed wires, and motors still working, your belts should work fine. Please post here if there are other problems i may have missed, or other components related to the belts, indication, or beeping.

if your belts travel along the track but you still hear beeping when everything is pluggged in, its because your under seat plugs are not connected. this happened to me and was driving me crazy until i rememberd there were plugs under there.

i hope this helps!

Last edited by 4g4dcruisin; 05-05-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 90-91 EF Sedan Auto Belt Fix!

needs to be a sticky!
Old 04-25-2009, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

found my fix, and it needs to be listed on your list...
the fuse holder connected to the battery is bad. its so bdly corroded that it doesnt hold current.
i guess ill replace it with a brand new honda oem part.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmmm great topic but we need something for the hatch guys lol! My seatbelts dont retract and the dealership kinda scared me away with a $150 fee if its just a dirty retractor or something.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondahustle
Hmmm great topic but we need something for the hatch guys lol! My seatbelts dont retract and the dealership kinda scared me away with a $150 fee if its just a dirty retractor or something.
the hatch had autobelts? i had a 90 EF hatch and it was manual belts.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great thread! Very useful, this hapd to me wen i changed my battery n it beeped all the way to work! Gggrrrrr!!! I gotta hook up the lil fuse box properly...thx!
Old 04-08-2012, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks!
Old 09-17-2012, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanx 4g4dcruisin.... finally got my seat belts to work.....been trying to figure it out for awhile now and you came to the rescue...lol.. thanx
Old 12-30-2021, 08:20 PM
Trial User

I know old old thread. But I’ve done all the steps everything is connected, haven’t checked the mechanics inside the pillar for the passenger auto retractor. But my question is can I just daisy chain the seat belt batterycable so both works on the drivers side side of the fuse. everything is correct I have both fuses on the battery terminal, behind the center console I have a green plug and a gray plug both everything in working order the L shaped on the door jam works… so my last will take the pillar out and check that connection. But would that work in the fuse box by the battery
Old 12-30-2021, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by frank9000
I know old old thread. But I’ve done all the steps everything is connected, haven’t checked the mechanics inside the pillar for the passenger auto retractor. But my question is can I just daisy chain the seat belt batterycable so both works on the drivers side side of the fuse. everything is correct I have both fuses on the battery terminal, behind the center console I have a green plug and a gray plug both everything in working order the L shaped on the door jam works… so my last will take the pillar out and check that connection. But would that work in the fuse box by the battery
sorry I can’t help. Sold that car over a decade ago.
The following users liked this post: