Notices

89 civic si sunroof help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 civic si sunroof help!

hey whats up i just recently bought an 89civic si and the sunroof looks like its silicone shut im not sure if it works tho any ways just wondering if the 91civic si complete sunroof assembly fits in my 89 so i can buy one and swap it out cause it will be easier for me to find a 91civic si sunroof then an 89 civic si sunroof
Old 01-15-2015, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 89 civic si sunroof help!

Sunroof assembley is the same from 89-91. It was probably siliconed shut because the drain tubes inside were plugged, causing water to get backed up and come out of the headliner. You might not need a newer assembly, but extra parts never hurt either.

I have an 89 Si as well, when I bought it the sunroof glass was cracked. I bought another complete assembly with good glass. I swapped all the good parts over, painted the top of the shade with flat black paint, regreased all the slides, and blew out the drain lines. When you blow yours out, I guarantee there will be dirt "plugs" that come shooting out. Also look for rust where the drain lines connect to the sunroof assembly. There will be metal shims where the glass is bolted to the slide, make sure you save the extras. You might need them if the glass needs to be pushed up more for a proper fit/seal.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Riceburner247
Sunroof assembley is the same from 89-91. It was probably siliconed shut because the drain tubes inside were plugged, causing water to get backed up and come out of the headliner. You might not need a newer assembly, but extra parts never hurt either.

I have an 89 Si as well, when I bought it the sunroof glass was cracked. I bought another complete assembly with good glass. I swapped all the good parts over, painted the top of the shade with flat black paint, regreased all the slides, and blew out the drain lines. When you blow yours out, I guarantee there will be dirt "plugs" that come shooting out. Also look for rust where the drain lines connect to the sunroof assembly. There will be metal shims where the glass is bolted to the slide, make sure you save the extras. You might need them if the glass needs to be pushed up more for a proper fit/seal.

yeah mine is cracked too I will buy another one cause mine looks all ugly and there's silicone everywhere all over the window and roof so I will just pull it out sand around the sunroof really good drain the lines out with my compressor then put the other sunroof in and I should be golden thanks alot
Old 01-16-2015, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A cordless drill battery comes in handy when you need to manipulate the sunroof while its out of the car. Make a couple 2' wire jumpers and touch the motor wires to make it move back and forth.