Notices

*HELP* battery light fading in + strange electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *HELP* battery light fading in + strange electrical problem

AH! ok so this is what my car is doing. At idle, the battery light on the dash will fade in, but once i touch the gas, it immediately goes away. Its been doing this for some time now, maybe 4 months, and i've just been ignoring it. hehe. but yeah, now my car has some starting issues.

SOMETIMES, when i turn the key to the "on" position, the dashlights fade in, i hear a click sound, and the lights go out. Over and over, it'll do this, really quickly.. click! click! click! click! when i go to crank the motor, it doesn't.

now, i'm pretty sure the battery is in ok shape, it is adequately charged, and my alternator outputs about 13 volts at idle, and is relatively new. I was thinking, there is a bad connection somewhere... its as if the chassis power comes on and off, kinda randomly. Sometimes it'll start right up, no problem, sometimes the lights flicker. Everytime it has happened, i jump start it, and its fine.

sorry for the long post and thanks for reading it and helping me out!
Old 09-09-2002, 12:46 PM

Default Re: *HELP* battery light fading in + strange electrical problem (carsaregood)

Even though ur alternator is outputting 13 (I believe norm is 14 though) I would still recommend getting it checked out. There could be a piece in there that is not functioning properly.

Haha, I blew up my alternator 4x in one yr. That's an amazing feat !!! But it was coz i had faulty ones all the times b4.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: *HELP* battery light fading in + strange electrical problem (EF8_SiR)

I had this same prob with my crx, check to make sure all of your ground connections (thermostat, valve cover, and tranny) are hooked up, and have a good connection. Clean your battery posts using sand paper, and also, what made mine work right, was make a connection (ground connection) from the negative (black) side of your battery to the body of your car. Hope it helps.
Old 09-09-2002, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: *HELP* battery light fading in + strange electrical problem (GroundZer0)

thanks for the input! i think i found the problem. I have a corroded negative battery cable (it goes from the terminal to the tranny). Its insulated, but at the ends there is exposed braided wire. If i squeeze it at the insulation and **** with it a bit, lots of greenish white powder comes out... so i'll try replacing that. GroundZer0, maybe yours is the same way. that would explain why an extra ground solved your problem. thanks again everyone! i'm going to replace that as soon as i can find a ride... hehe. i'll let you know if it fixes it.