Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ZEX sohc help! muffled knocking noise coming from engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 03:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZEX sohc help! muffled knocking noise coming from engine

just installed my stage 2 59300 zex camshaft for the d16z6 using the stock cam gear. valve lash settings are .006 intake, .007 exhaust. everything is lined up with tdc and the crank was not adjusted with the timing belt off.

well i started the car, it idles constant at 1000 rpm. there is a muffled knocking sound (does not sound like chatter) from the engine. i thought ignition timing would be off so i played with that retarding and gradually advancing, which did not help. the sound is random and does not seem to have a pattern. all parts were torqued in the right order and to the correct specs (double checked everything).

i am afraid to leave the car on for more than a few seconds because the sound does not sound good to me. i have been doing hours of searchingand have not found anything really useful. many owners of the zex cams say they are louder and they chatter, but mine does not sound like chattering. it does not sound like its loping either (buh, buh, buh, buh).

any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance
Old 08-03-2003, 03:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: ZEX sohc help! muffled knocking noise coming from engine (cxSOHChatch)

how is the belt tension and timing? did you follow the torque procedure when installing the lost motion assembly holder (cap).
make sure that the valve train is seated properly (as in rocker arm no swining around).

what I personally do is take the LMA holder off and check again for any missed parts or over torqued items.

btw. the cam will be much louder then stock but should not make any metalic noises, you'll need to adjust the valve lash again
Old 08-03-2003, 12:49 PM

i just installed mine last night... and when i got my header installed the tick got louder.. ticks like 6-8 times a sec..
then when the cam was installed it got lots louder...
i broke the cam in .. and lased at .01 on ex side and .008 on in side..

still loud as hell.. should i make the gap smaller?

also have the 59300

Modified by bushfreakz at 3:59 AM 8/4/2003
Old 08-03-2003, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (bushfreakz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bushfreakz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

still loud as hell.. should i make the gap smaller?

also have the 59300</TD></TR></TABLE>

006 intake, .007 exhaust or even for the extremely loud and worn valve trains .005(i) and .006(e)
Old 08-03-2003, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (eg6ajk)

do .007 in and .008 ex...you valve lash is too tight...thus the ticking
Old 08-03-2003, 07:00 PM

dont bigger gaps between the tapper and the valve cause more tapping?

where does the actuall tap come from?
Old 08-03-2003, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bushfreakz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bushfreakz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont bigger gaps between the tapper and the valve cause more tapping?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I've been told. Loose valves = lots of valve noise. Taken from http://www.pelicanparts.com/te...t.htm --

Now, back to the valves, and the valve clearances, and why they are so important. Figure 2 shows a close-up of a valve and rocker. The clearance that needs to be adjusted is located between the valve tip and the rocker arm adjusting screw. This screw has a little swivel foot that rotates to meet the valve stem flat. This prevents wear on the tip of the valve. If the clearances of valves are too tight (not enough space), then you can have valves that don't completely close. This can cause leaks through the valves during the motor's compression and/or power stroke, which results in significant power loss, and in some cases can cause engine damage. If the valve clearances are too loose, then you might have a situation where not enough fuel is getting into the cylinder head, or the piston is working extra hard to push out exhaust gases through the narrow opening of the improperly adjusted exhaust valve. Also, valves that are <u>loose</u> are notoriously noisy.

But maybe it could also be when they're too tight? I know that passage is for a Porsche 911, but the idea is still the same for a Hondacura I'm sure.
Old 08-03-2003, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Daniel)

ok i checked the lost motion assemblies and i cant push one of them down! i am going to take off the LMA holder and see what got stuck...im just hoping there is no major damage...

i believe the tighter the valve lash is, the less ticking sound there will be...

ill let you guys know what happens after tonight...
Old 08-03-2003, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cxSOHChatch)

ok i checked the lma and torqued everything to specs again. didnt help

now that i listen closely, it sounds like random sputtering. weird...

i checked the spark plugs and 2 and 3 had unburned fuel on the tips...

by the way i have not broken in the cam...as soon as i attempt to by reving to 1500-2000 rpm, i get paranoid and shut the car off. due to the sounds i have not left the car on at idle for more than 10-15 seconds max

i am running out of ideas. someone please help
Old 08-03-2003, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Daniel)

I have heard from Mista Bone that tighter valve clearances causes the effect of having a higher lift cam, thus creating more power. I think he runs as tight as .003 and .004.

I am personally still at .007 and .008. I was going to try mine at .006 and .007 though.
Old 08-03-2003, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ZEX sohc help! muffled knocking noise coming from engine (cxSOHChatch)

Maybe the cam's just noisy and makes weird sounds? If you've thoroughly checked everything then it's probably just some strange cam noise.
Old 08-03-2003, 11:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ZEX sohc help! muffled knocking noise coming from engine (Daniel)

i say again, too tight will result in slapping of valves as the return...
Old 08-03-2003, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RoyFokker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RoyFokker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do .007 in and .008 ex...you valve lash is too tight...thus the ticking</TD></TR></TABLE>

i will try that tonight...thanks

but the sound is more like sputtering, not ticking...
Old 08-03-2003, 11:30 PM
HAnda-Tech Member

dirty ?
Old 08-04-2003, 03:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18C_DC2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C_DC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dirty ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

whats dirty?
Old 08-04-2003, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

tried some more things, but nothing worked. i am thinking it is an ignition problem because of the fuel on the 2 and 3 spark plugs. the sound is definitely a "put.....put, put......put.....put" basically a muffled compressed air(?) sound or muffled knocking?..definitely NOT ticking or tapping. car purrs very nicely aside from the random sounds going of every few seconds. at totally random intervals.....what does an engine misfiring sound like? anything that i described?

by the way the engine doesnt seem like it is going to die..the rpm stays constant

thanks in advance
Old 08-04-2003, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i decided to play with the distributor retarding it all the way. i turned on the car and there was no sound! so ifigure the problem went away and i start to rev it up to 1500 for a few minutes to break in the cam according to instructions that i recieved with the cam.

i then decide to let it idle and play with the dizzy some more, gradually advancing it little by little. the put put put sound came back! i go to retard it again and the sound does not go away.

while i adjust the dizzy it SENDS A JOLT OF ELECTRICITY THROUGH MY BODY. how did that happen and is it normal???

the engine now idles like crazy! it shakes very violently and uncontrollably. i am just hoping i did not do any serious harm. it is no longer constantly at 1000rpm, but is at 200rpm and it feels like it is going to die on me. there is also smoke coming from near the header area, bt i think that is from the oil i dripped from the valve cover, so i am not worried about that.

HELP!

Old 08-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone up on this? i replaced my headgasket in my d15b7 and i now have the same problem
at idle, or when im just cruising with no throttle (i.e. foot barely on the gas to hold speed) it goes PUT PUT PUT. seems like there will be one PUT followed by a PUT-PUT, and sumtimes its a violent PUTPUTPUTPUT.... and i can watch the revs drop every time it does this.......im stumped

i've replaced the ignition rotor, internal coil, wires, plugs, full tune up and even tried 94 octane w/ octane booster, nothing stops it

maybe my motors shot
Old 08-06-2003, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lilredej2)

yah theres barely any compression to the #2 and 3 cylinders, so i am assuming i bent the valves somehow. running on basically two cylinders so i am looking for a new head i guess...
Old 08-06-2003, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

put put there is a lott of puttong gooing on, maybe someone will get a hole in one,

not reall bump for the guys cause I got no good answers SOHC rule.

well not really but they do hold thier own..