Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

tweeters in 96-00 civic si

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tweeters in 96-00 civic si

I have a question about the tweeters in a 96-00 civic si. I changed the head unit and the front "woofers" in a civic si and the stock tweeters are not playing loud... I can only hear a sound from the tweeters when I an right in front of it... u know... I would like to remove the tweeters from the car and I want to know how it is connected... whit a crossover? And can I remove it and not connect the wires or short-circuit the tweeters?
Old 11-05-2004, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: tweeters in 96-00 civic si (Moskoi)

I have been meaning to ask this as well, it is all that is left in my car stock in audio.. I know there is someone here who has taken those out...

I know the wires just go down and connect to a splicing not far from your woofer... I do not know how to remove the tweeters though, nor if you can add new ones in there...

Bump for directions on removing tweeters and tweeter mount... and for if new ones can be installed.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:24 PM

Default Re: tweeters in 96-00 civic si (CooBlueDAB)

bump to remove the pesky plastic?
Old 11-06-2004, 01:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A friend of mine simply spliced the wires to new tweeters that fit in the mount... it's a pain to find some that fit well though... his don't fit well but they're lauder and not shorting out so I guese mission acomplished.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:56 AM

Default Re: tweeters in 96-00 civic si (NUB-96EK)

Do you happen to know how he removed those tweeters? and does anyone know the size of the tweeters?
Old 11-06-2004, 06:57 PM

i replaced mine with clarion tweeters
Old 11-06-2004, 07:03 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CooBlueDAB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you happen to know how he removed those tweeters? and does anyone know the size of the tweeters?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't remember how to take them out exactly, try the audio forum for that one. From my installing days I used to use black hot glue and glued the new tweeters in, worked like a **** and if you wanted them back out you could cut them out and clean them up. Just be careful. Not really much to it. REMEBER you need a crossover or SOMETHING to keep them from blowing.

Peace,

Chris
Old 11-06-2004, 11:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tweeters in 96-00 civic si (THEHARDWAYEK)

yea u definately need a crossover or your tweeters will be playing the same frequencies your other speakers are playing. u need to have the tweeters play the highs only. thats wut crossover is for
Old 11-07-2004, 04:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When you remove the sail panel the tweeters are held in from behind with a screw. There is type of "grill" so the new ones should be easy to flush mount. If you run the tweeters parallel from the ones in the door speakers you shouldn't need a crossover... it's how the stock ones are run.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:59 AM

Default Re: tweeters in 96-00 civic si (NUB-96EK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NUB-96EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When you remove the sail panel the tweeters are held in from behind with a screw. There is type of "grill" so the new ones should be easy to flush mount. If you run the tweeters parallel from the ones in the door speakers you shouldn't need a crossover... it's how the stock ones are run.</TD></TR></TABLE>

But if you look on the back of the stock ones, they have a little bitty capacitor on the back of them (or it's on the back of the woofer). That's SUPPOSED to be their crossover. TRUST ME, you need a crossover, or prepare to buy two sets of tweeters. I wouldn't know anything, I installed every day for seven years... .
Old 11-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the tweeter's end connector connects behind the door panel ... have fun
Old 11-07-2004, 09:11 AM

do any of u know off any extra door sails with the tweeters?
Old 11-07-2004, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tweeters in 96-00 civic si (THEHARDWAYEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by THEHARDWAYEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

But if you look on the back of the stock ones, they have a little bitty capacitor on the back of them (or it's on the back of the woofer). That's SUPPOSED to be their crossover. TRUST ME, you need a crossover, or prepare to buy two sets of tweeters. I wouldn't know anything, I installed every day for seven years... .</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep, there is a capacitor, which is basicly a 6dB high pass crossover, wired inline with the tweeter between where it plugs in and the tweeter itself. As far as where it plugs in, here is a pic of the plug.

And do not just splice a new tweeter in after the cap and expect the cap to protect it without making sure. The crossover frequency will change if the impedance (ohm) of the new tweeter is different.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:32 AM

Default Re: tweeters in 96-00 civic si (georgelb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by georgelb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And do not just splice a new tweeter in after the cap and expect the cap to protect it without making sure. The crossover frequency will change if the impedance (ohm) of the new tweeter is different.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is absolutely correct. The crossover will vary by what tweeter you use. NEVER use the stock one from Honda. Again, if you don't you will buy more than one set, GUARATNEED.

-Chris

P.S. Damn nice post georgelb.