Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Replace Gasket between Bell Housing and Drive?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace Gasket between Bell Housing and Drive?

I have been posting a few threads on here, and I greatly appreciate the help.

In taking my automatic transmission off of the block (also, in ignorance) I loosened all the bell housing bolts and separated the bell housing from the rest of the transmission, thus breaking the seal the gasket created.
Should I replace that gasket? If so, how do I get the bell housing entirely off? i have all the lower bolts out and it is lifting off about an inch and then catching on something; I do not know what it is.

If the seal will be fine, then I would much rather just bolt it back down... but if it's going to leak, can someone give me a tip on what might be holding me up in removing the bell housing entirely?
Old 08-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replace Gasket between Bell Housing and Drive?

I was told that leaving the old gasket on there and putting "gasket maker" on the shape of the gasket would suffice. Would that work?
Old 08-15-2010, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would just tighten it up and see if it leaks. You shouldn't have any issues unless you actually damaged the gasket. But if you wanted to be safe, you could put a little of RTV sealant in place of the gasket; if you can open it enough.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by zx92027xz
I have been posting a few threads on here, and I greatly appreciate the help.

In taking my automatic transmission off of the block (also, in ignorance) I loosened all the bell housing bolts and separated the bell housing from the rest of the transmission, thus breaking the seal the gasket created.
Should I replace that gasket? If so, how do I get the bell housing entirely off? i have all the lower bolts out and it is lifting off about an inch and then catching on something; I do not know what it is.

If the seal will be fine, then I would much rather just bolt it back down... but if it's going to leak, can someone give me a tip on what might be holding me up in removing the bell housing entirely?
i would just put a new gasket!!!:
Old 08-15-2010, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dazzb20swap
i would just put a new gasket!!!:
i have all the bolts connecting the bell housing off right now and i can get a 1/2in gap, but it doesnt want to come all the way off. what am i missing? I would be more comfortable replacing the gasket, seeing as how i hvae the tranny off the car right now... don't want to pull it again to do something i could have done the first time, you know?
Old 08-15-2010, 04:09 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by zx92027xz
i have all the bolts connecting the bell housing off right now and i can get a 1/2in gap, but it doesnt want to come all the way off. what am i missing?
You're missing a special puller from Honda, you just about need it to get the transmission apart. Its a really strange looking outfit. Its not something you can just buy either, Honda doesn't sell specialty tools over the counter.