Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

quick question

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick question

i need to change my fuel pump in my 93 civic ex coupe, can i change it just by removing the rear seats or do i have to drop the tank. i dont think i would have to drop the tank but a buddy of mine say yes and another buddy told me no i should be good which is it??
Old 07-19-2008, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: quick question (badassracer)

no!

just take to bottom part of back seat out. its right there, take you 15min total.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

The diagram below shows how replace the fuel pump. Removing gas tank is not necessary.

Are you sure you don't have a bad main relay instead of a bad fuel pump?

Old 07-19-2008, 05:54 PM

Default Re: quick question (RonJ@HT)

i thought so i knew it had to be simple, yea im pretty sure its the fuel pump i cant hear it turn on at all and there is no fuel going to my lines at all i just dropped my motor in my car yesturday for the 4th time....long story finally got everything squared away and it wouldnt start so i check to see if it was getting fuel or spark and i took the fuel line off and no fuel even started to come out of the filter or the line itself, so then i tried to see if i could hear it kick on and nothing. the pump has over 180k miles on it and i havent really had it running in about 6 months its just been sitting there.

its just my luck that id finally get one thing squared away and another thing has to go wrong with it lol

thanks guys for the help, i will check the relay tho just incase but i do need a fuel pump any way, its a complete turbo build
Old 07-19-2008, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The main relay controls power to the fuel pump, so a bad main relay would act the same as a bad fuel pump. In addition, the main relay is a more common cause for the "no fuel" problem. You should test the main relay. Start by listening for the clicks after turning the ignition key to ON.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:35 AM

idk what clicking your talking about, i never heard any clicking b4 this happened. am i suppose to??
Old 07-20-2008, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, you typically only hear the main relay making its clicking noises if you are listening for them. The absence of the clicking sounds can be used to diagnose a bad main relay. This idea is nicely described here:

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq....html
Old 07-20-2008, 08:23 AM

ok now i know what your talking about, good thing your helping me out b/c i didnt even really take time to notice that the check engine light isnt turning off b4 i start it so would that mean its the relay then? or could this be still my fuel pump

like i said b4 i need a new fuel pump any ways seeing im turboing my car and im going to need more fuel delivery than way the stock one can put out
Old 07-20-2008, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Retrieve the CEL code(s) (see link) and go from there.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1901557
Old 07-20-2008, 08:53 AM

a quick question thats off topic but will a 96-00 civic front wheel hubs/spindles fit on my 93 civic? mine arent in very good condition and the axels are rusted together and is impossible to break loose and on of them has a blown bearing so im just going to replace the whole thing on both sides and put new axels seeing how mine are shot any way and im probably going to do a rear disc conversion on it too that way i have all new stuff all around
Old 07-20-2008, 06:50 PM

bump
Old 07-20-2008, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes the whole hub fits. Ii have a 99 hubs on my 92 hb.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:54 AM

Default Re: quick question (Gunni)

sweet i thought so, thanks guys for all the help especially RonJ@HT for lookin out
Old 07-21-2008, 03:22 PM

i tried to check the C.E.L. but it didnt work. i tired several times and it just stays solid. i disconnected my battery for awhile than put it back on and i got the same thing so idk if this really means my fuel pump relay is for sure gone of if its just the fuel pump which im hoping so i dont have to spend more money
Old 07-22-2008, 04:54 AM

bump
Old 07-22-2008, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had no CEL for my main relay issue. You just need a 10mm wrench, get down under the dash, disconnect the connector, and remove the relay. Take the casing apart and look on the underside of the board. Look for discolorations around the factory solder joints...those are the points at where you need to resolder.

Cake! i fixed mine like this (two spots needed resoldering) and the car has been good for almost a year now.

GL!
Old 07-22-2008, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When the CEL stays ON but doesn't blink a code when you jumper-wire the connector, this indicates a problem with the ECU or ECU wiring. The 92-95 Civic service manual (see link, pg 11-32 to 11-34) details a series of electrical tests to troubleshoot the problem.

http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Civic/
Old 07-23-2008, 03:12 PM

well i just replaced the relay and it wont start and they check engine light didnt come off and there was a weird fast rapid clicking noise, kinda like a sparking noise? idk im lost and stressed out over this so im having a hard time thinking what it could be i hope its not the ecu or im going to loose it....
Old 07-23-2008, 04:50 PM

ok nvm on the noise i was just being dumb and my battery was almost dead but my car will not start for anything, it cranks and cranks and cranks but still nothing.

the C.E.L. is on and im not getting any fuel to my lines so i replaced the fuel fuel pump with a walbro fuel pump and a buddy of mine told me that its pretty loud so i will defently hear it when it comes on but i cant hear any thing so then i replaced the fuel relay with a used one this guy sold me and said he had test it right b4 and it works fine but if i need a new one he'd give me one, plugged that in and still got nothing so i have no clue what to do.

if the fuel relay powers the fuel pump and its still not turning on then that would still be my problem right? or am i missing something here? ive checked everything over and over, its all hooked up right. ive tried to check the C.E.L. but it didnt work, not to mention the color of the connector wasnt gray it was blue, it just stayed solid. and RonJ@HT, you say that i would be a problem with the ecu or wiring but wouldnt that affect everything else with the car far as anything working or the car even cranking????

please some one help me out here....im going insane!!
Old 07-23-2008, 07:18 PM

bump
Old 07-23-2008, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by badassracer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
the C.E.L. is on and im not getting any fuel...RonJ@HT, you say that i would be a problem with the ecu or wiring but wouldnt that affect everything else with the car far as anything working or the car even cranking????
</TD></TR></TABLE>

No. The ECU provides electrical grounding for the main relay. If these specific ECU functions or the main relay wires leading to the ECU are bad, then only the fuel pump would not work (similar to your problem). Try to do some of the electrical troubleshooting detailed in the service manual.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:06 AM

i need to get a volt meter to do that, do you think the parts store will have them to rent?
Old 07-24-2008, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RonJ@HT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The diagram below shows how replace the fuel pump. Removing gas tank is not necessary.

Are you sure you don't have a bad main relay instead of a bad fuel pump?

[img] </TD></TR></TABLE>

x2
Old 07-24-2008, 07:03 AM

Default Re: quick question (drunk_0n_c0r0na)

i said that i just replaced the relay yesturday with a used one a guy sold me, he tested it and sayed it works fine that i should be good to go, so i put the new one in and still nothing and my old one didnt even look bad to begin with

i was going to have my buddy come over 2day he has the same car and i was going to use his car to test my relay and ecu out but **** came up so now im waiting
Old 07-24-2008, 11:25 AM

well i figured out the problem....the ground on the thermostate housing wasnt tighten down all the way i was double checking everything all over again 2day after a buddy told me that to him it sounds like something isnt hooked up right so i looked and the ground was loose so i tightened it down and everything was fine pump turned on light came off

i kicked myself hard for that one. i should of known better lol well thanks for everyones help!

Quick Reply: quick question