Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Painting my car flat black

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting my car flat black

my paint is shitty and its starting to chip and crap. Where do i start? I heard that a scotch brite pad was good to use? Do i wet sand first until the clear coat is off then i spray it down with flat black? I wanted to make the paint look like the Skunk2 rsx and this car.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Painting my car flat black (infinite_eh2)

Are you using a gun or just a spray can? You will have a very hard time getting your car to look like the one pictured if you are using a spray can or if you aren't familiar with gun techniques.

Flat black isn't as easy as some think.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:36 AM

If you have chips and stuff you need to take a sander and feather those out so the fininsh is smooth. Make sure you scuff all the surfaces on the car and then clean real well before you start spraying.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:37 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by infinite_eh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wanted to make the paint look like the Skunk2 rsx and this car.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Those cars aren't flat black, they're satin black - and they were sprayed professionally in a controlled environment with high-quality paint and a gun, not in a driveway with $4 rattle cans.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Painting my car flat black (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Those cars aren't flat black, they're satin black - and they were sprayed professionally in a controlled environment with high-quality paint and a gun, not in a driveway with $4 rattle cans.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly what I was about to say haha...
Old 07-09-2006, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

doesnt matter they have done it in a sport compact car mag with a sti and it looked great!!
They used like 22 cans of paint and they did it in a day.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Malakai)

https://honda-tech.com/zero...ge=36

Look up what people did with flat black on there.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i thought about using chaulkboard paint if the paint was crappy. I got the idea from a tv show about sport compacts that they did just that. then you can right crap in chaulk for temp wording.

http://www.krylon.com/main/pro...tails
Old 07-09-2006, 11:19 AM

Me and my roommate painted my eg flat black. we scuffed it down cleaned it good then used a mixture 1/3 catalyst 1/3 paint 1/3 hardener and it came out great. we used a spray gun and all together paint was about 90$
Old 07-09-2006, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's professional on the skunk 2 car....and that skyline comes factory like that..but none-the-less, it's doen by maachines in the factory...that's like one step below professional, but 50 steps above ur rattle paint cans and 4 friends in ur driveway on a sunday afternoon..

It's hard to believe that some of these people are against any kind of comsmetic upgrade that's not JDM stock saying "RICE, RICE, RICE, RICE" while they pop open their spray cans to re-spray their car saying "it's economical"

What the expletive is wrong with these people?
Old 07-09-2006, 01:14 PM

my rattle cans were 97 cents a peice from walmart &gt;=D actualy didnt turn out to bad . . . jsut gotta have time and patience
Old 07-09-2006, 01:47 PM

Location: riCk jAmes BitCh 415 fRisKo 2 cAstRo yAy aREa, CA, usa

yeah
after your done wetsanding the primer, clear coat it
Old 07-09-2006, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Painting my car flat black (RatedEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RatedEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Me and my roommate painted my eg flat black. we scuffed it down cleaned it good then used a mixture 1/3 catalyst 1/3 paint 1/3 hardener and it came out great. we used a spray gun and all together paint was about 90$</TD></TR></TABLE>
Did you use actual paint or primer? Looks good in the pic
Old 07-09-2006, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Painting my car flat black (westco)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by westco &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BRING YOUR CAR TO MY SHOPPP!!!! ILL CHARGE U 5000 TO PAINT THAT SHITTT... I HUSTLE PEOPLE LIKE U</TD></TR></TABLE>

um...... ban?

ps-reported
Old 07-09-2006, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Painting my car flat black (blkhatch92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blkhatch92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my rattle cans were 97 cents a peice from walmart &gt;=D actualy didnt turn out to bad . . . jsut gotta have time and patience</TD></TR></TABLE>

You gotta be joking. If all you need is walmart spray cans, everybody would be driving around with custom paint. Let's see some pics of the car!
Old 07-09-2006, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Painting my car flat black (ZeeSix)

tried this on a friends 240 with spray paint. completely sanded down the clear coat. then tried to get it as even as possible. it turned out to look alright. at first it was noticeable that it was done with spray cans but over time it will fade. we got the idea from an issue of Sport Compact where they did it to a WRX (im pretty sure it was a Sport Compact). good luck though. i would suggest a spray gun and make sure you dont do it outdoors.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Painting my car flat black (ZeeSix)

lol, naw, they aren't joking, they're serious, these are the same people that hate e-bay while they go to wal*mart to buy paint at the going rate of 99 cents a can..

These animals are called "Ricers" - NOT "economical paint job"
Old 07-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you should have at least a spray gun (not a spray can) to attempt this
Old 07-10-2006, 04:31 AM
Import Alliance

Default Re: (SunshineCivic)

Be careful and dont ruin your car with a bad paint job. That being said if you decide to paint it atleast use good paint. It will not fade like a lot of the paints in a can.

If you are looking for a flat black paint a lot of rat rodders use John Deere Blitz black. It is very durable and not expensive.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:40 AM

Default Re: Painting my car flat black (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol, naw, they aren't joking, they're serious, these are the same people that hate e-bay while they go to wal*mart to buy paint at the going rate of 99 cents a can..

These animals are called "Ricers" - NOT "economical paint job" </TD></TR></TABLE>

Get your head out of your ***. 1600 posts and I'm willing to bet that not 1 of them is a technical response to a thread.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NextGear Don &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Be careful and dont ruin your car with a bad paint job. That being said if you decide to paint it atleast use good paint. It will not fade like a lot of the paints in a can.

If you are looking for a flat black paint a lot of rat rodders use John Deere Blitz black. It is very durable and not expensive. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll have to look into that. I assume they sell that at John Deere stores.

If you use rattle can just make sure you get through the clear first, then scuff the paint, and then clean the surface well. I like to use rubbing alcohol and those cheap lint-free shop rags.

If you take your time and do light, even coats it will turn out well.

I will say that eventually it'll start to fade a bit, but eh, I'm not paying 2000 for something that doesn't do anything but make my 10 year old pos car "pretty".
Old 07-10-2006, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i believe the color on that skyline is satin black
Old 07-10-2006, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

they already said that
Old 07-10-2006, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Malakai)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Malakai &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">doesnt matter they have done it in a sport compact car mag with a sti and it looked great!!
They used like 22 cans of paint and they did it in a day.</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. It didn't work that great.
2. It was a dumb *** idea.
3. It's not going to look great for this guy.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:47 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Painting my car flat black (safewayselectcondoms)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by safewayselectcondoms &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah
after your done wetsanding the primer, clear coat it </TD></TR></TABLE>
Primer will not give him anything near the look that he is after. He is going to have to use real paint.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Primer will not give him anything near the look that he is after. He is going to have to use real paint. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't bother. Nobody here listens.

He's going to end up with a streaky *** looking black paint job with a gloss over that crappy looking black streak because he's not going to spray it with a real gun, and then he's going to use gloss rattlecan clearcoat too.

Not to mention that primer is porus and is going to soak up all kind of dirt/other crap.

Quick Reply: Painting my car flat black