Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

no crank no start help

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no crank no start help

please read i need some assistance!
hey guys, i have a 98' civic ex with no crank no start issue. it waas running fine yesterday, i got home, was going out again about 2 hours later and went to turn the key and nothing happen. all i hear is a loud click noise, as if the starter just clicks one time loudly and thats it.
obviously at first i figured it was the starter, but i pulled the battery and took it to advanced auto where they tested it and what do you know.... it tested bad.

this battery was purchased and installed about 6 months ago, it has a sticker on it from September of 2013. regardless, through warranty advanced auto gave me a new battery, the same exact brand the excact same battery and i when i installed it, of course, again.... nothing. just a loud click at the turn of the key and nothing happens, no crank.

-all the lights on the dash turn on, the ac works as well as the radio, so its getting power from the battery
-the terminals were slightly corroded but i even brushed them with a wire brush and cleaned them up and put on some corrosion protectors when i put the new battery in..
-just one loud click at the turn of the key
-ALSO, where this car is parked is a slight incline, i let it roll a little bit down the driveway, and when it stopped rolling i turned the key and bam, started up perfectly.
-AFTER THAT, i then moved the car to a flat area next to my truck, turned it off and walked away for a moment, when i came back tried to crank it and nothing, same click with no crank. so then i tried to jump start it with my truck, and it started right up with the jump.

im so lost, if it was the starter would it have started when i jumped it? this is what made me think it was the battery so i got a new one... but obviously its not the battery, please someone help out im lost lol.

im thinking starter solenoid?
and does this car have a starter relay?
seriously im not imformed on how these systems work so if i sound dumb its because i am!

i tried tapping the starter softly with the wood handle of a rubber mallet and nothing happened

i tried uploading a video but it wouldnt let me, so bare with me i hope i explained this correctly, thanks in advance for the help!!
Old 04-02-2014, 01:06 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: no crank no start help

The starter may be seized. Pull it and bench test it.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Yes, take your starter to test.

You can test it mounted or in the ground yourself. But if you are question this maybe better take it to a shop.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i bought a new starter, i hope this solves it. i figured i might as well buy a new one and have the fresh part and not have to deal with it later. thanks guys
Old 04-06-2014, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm having the same problem. Did the new starter fix the job? Another question, what happens if you try starting it too much, does it hurt the engine? Reason why I ask is after about ten times trying with time in between, I got this rough crank and felt like the car was going to start but didnt.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:12 AM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

starter is poop. failing starters will commonly work with the extra voltage of a jump.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I came home today and try to diagnose the problem. Tried starting it, and it still does this click or sounds like electric power flowing or something. Still no crank. After a few tries it starts. Weird. Turned it off and then tried again, it goes back to the clicking again!!!

So I thought it was the starter going bad. Went to go check my original starter and purchased a new one as well. I was told my starter was not performing as strong, plus it looked pretty nasty.

Okay install a brand new starter. Made sure all wires were on and battery terminal fitted on nicely. First try after installing new starter, same click or sounds like electric power flowing or something again. After 5 tries with the new starter, bam it starts.

My issue does not sound like its the starter or the battery. Can it be a lose ground or something? I'm out of ideals. This has been happening off and on for 6 months. It would work for a good few months and then decides to pay me a visit. Any ideal what this issue could be, I'm all ears and ready to perform.

Sorry tubbierainbows for adding my issues to your thread. I thought I was the only one with this weird issue, glad to hear I'm not alone.

I'll update here when I find out a solution.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No worries dude! But if you want the best help for your issue I would suggest creating your own thread for it so more people will see it!
Honestly the only thing I can think of is fuel related, have you tried checking your fuel lines/pump/filter/ even the gas tank being old and rusted out can cause problems.
If the starter is new and it's not the battery or any grounds/terminals or connections I'd say look further.
Fuel related- cause your not getting any spark.
I would also (just to save hassle) check your fuses to make sure they're all secure and not loose or buggy.

Also as I'm typing I'm thinking it could be ignition switch or neutral safety, try checking for voltage at the starter when cranking and of it does have voltage you can rule out ignition switch and clutch.
After that I would test the alternator, maybe not charger your battery enough and after a while of driving you experience low cranking amps.
Just throwing out ideas but by no means am I a technician at all so I would research a few of the ideas I posted but I hope this helps man and good luck with your issue!

By the way yea the new starter solved my issue (for now) hoping nothing goes wrong in the future but who knows
Old 04-10-2014, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It is very common for starters to start one day not the other but then start again... sometime when the car makes that sound and u hit the starter with a hammer the car will start right up. Sometime the starter will even pass the bench test but still be bad. just replace the starter and save ur self the pain in the but.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yup! i did and its been fine since, it was the starter and now im running into more issues lol... but either way yes a new starter has resolved my issue and its been starting every time since i replaced it, thanks guys