Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New clutch and Timing belt questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New clutch and Timing belt questions

I'm going to be replacing the timing belt and the clutch on my 92 hatch vx. I have a couple quick questions. First of all, I have been told to only use honda oem parts. What is your opinion on this? The car has not been made/modified for performance and don't intend to. I am just doing some maintenance.

I have been referred to this site: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

Any other recommended sites for oem honda parts or should I just forget about it and go with aftermarket?

Also, what else is recommended to change with the timing belt besides just the actual belt? Should the tensioner or any other parts be changed at the same time? The car has 260k miles and I have no idea of its past maintenance history.

Same question goes for the clutch, should I replace anything other than the clutch plate, disc, throw out bearing and pilot bearing?

Thanks for any help/input.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:30 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: New clutch and Timing belt questions

When shopping around for OE parts, I almost always end up buying from HondaAutomotiveParts.com (Majestic Honda). They usually have the best prices. You can also find OE timing belt/water pump/tensioner kits on ebay for cheap.

It's smart to get the OE timing belt stuff; you should replace the water pump, tensioner and the belt itself. The valve cover needs to be removed so you might want a new valve cover gasket on hand in case it needs to be replaced. Inspect the alternator, power steering and AC belts before you do this job to make sure they are re-usable. You will also need to refill the engine with coolant.

As far as the clutch goes, you should be ok with replacing just those items. Consider replacing the clutch release (slave) cylinder while your at it, cost is ~$20 from a chain auto parts store.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by live4soccer7
I'm going to be replacing the timing belt and the clutch on my 92 hatch vx. I have a couple quick questions. First of all, I have been told to only use honda oem parts. What is your opinion on this? The car has not been made/modified for performance and don't intend to. I am just doing some maintenance.

Any other recommended sites for oem honda parts or should I just forget about it and go with aftermarket?

Also, what else is recommended to change with the timing belt besides just the actual belt?
live4soccer7,

Generally speaking, if you are unfamiliar with the maintenance history of a vehicle with over 100,000 miles then it's a sagacious idea to not only replace the timing belt, water pump, drive belts, thermostat, clutch, master and slave cylinder, but also consider replacing the radiator as well. At the very least, it's worth your time and effort to inspect the radiator for any signs of leaks or wear.

As for recommended OEM Honda parts sites, I have found that hondapartsnow.com tends to offer the best prices on the largest inventory of OEM Honda parts of all sites I've purchased parts from.

Good luck with your ride!
Old 08-17-2011, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the input.... I think I may go with the parts from hondaautomotiveparts.com. It seems that some of the Ebay kits have part numbers that don't match up exactly to the oem parts for the specific engine I have: D15Z1

It is a 92 vx.

The prices seem pretty good as well, even if you are to piece the kit together at the honda site. There are two things I can't seem to find though, the front crank seal and the accessory belts (alternator etc...)

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...A5MT&catcgry5=

Just piecing everything together and then will place the order. I will have to go look up which tranny I have. Guess there is a difference between the CA and the rest of the US.

Edit: it seems that hondaautomotiveparts has more parts and by comparing the TB it is a little cheaper as well, not much difference though.

Edit 2: anyone know where to see on the tranny so I can tell which one I have? I looked, but didn't see anything. Perhaps some oil could be covering it though.

Last edited by live4soccer7; 08-17-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just added it up and I only need the alternator belt, so perhaps that made the difference, but it was $154 w/o shipping and ebay is $172 w/shipping. It will probably be about the same. I'm going to be picking up a few other parts as well, so I will go with the honda store instead of ebay.

Anyone know where the tranny's are marked to determine which one it is?
Old 08-17-2011, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Gates are OEM parts.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=tck....c0.m270.l1313

I usually recommend the kit with the water pump, which is Gates part number TCKWP223, but everyone is out of stock, unless you want to wait for Amazon.com which states they will ship in about 2-5 weeks. If you can wait, that's a great deal. It's the H2O pump, timing belt, and tensioner.

Here is the link to their parts list:

http://www.gates.com/part_locator/in...cation_id=3598
Old 08-17-2011, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info. I do need a water pump though. I'm not desperate b/c I have a truck I can drive around. I just want to get this maintenance done on this car before driving it anymore. Just curious, but how do you know Gates are OEM parts?

Is there a tranny identification guide for these honda's?
Old 08-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info. I do need a water pump though. I'm not desperate b/c I have a truck I can drive around. I just want to get this maintenance done on this car before driving it anymore. Just curious, but how do you know Gates are OEM parts?

Is there a tranny identification guide for these honda's?
A few of the members, including a moderator I believe, have bought Gates parts from Honda. One guy had a timing belt with Gates on it. Even if they are an aftermarket company, they probably make the best parts you can buy, especially for the money. The whole kit on amazon costs about what the water pump would be on Hondaautomotiveparts.com. I personally buy from them whenever I can and they haven't let me down.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds good. I think I will take your advice then. The waterpump on the honda parts store online is $60.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds good. I think I will take your advice then. The waterpump on the honda parts store online is $60.
just double check and make sure you get the right parts with the right part number. use the gates link.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I planned on double checking everything.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Majestic price of all seven items (tb, water pump, tensioner, a/c and alt belts, two seals) with s/h = $186.34. Take out the a/c belt, and the Majestic cost is $176.10. Shipping is by UPS residential from Rhode Island.

Ebay price of same seven items (all OEM, packaged as one kit) with s/h = $173. Shipping is by Fedex from California.

Shipping and handling make the difference.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You should also get a rear crankshaft seal and change that out when you do the clutch. Also, if the clutch has been slipping, the flywheel probably needs attention. You can get it resurfaced if it's not too beat up, but I usually just replace them. They're less than a hundred dollars and come with a new pilot bushing. If I remember correctly there is no pilot bearing, just a bushing. But you'll definitely need a new pressure plate, clutch disk, and release bearing. For the timing belt, you might also want to do the camshaft seal and the front crankshaft seal as well. It would suck if your new belt was ruined by a leaking seal. Also, Gates belts and hoses are great, I've never been disappointed by their products.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, I will be doing all that you said. I will check the flywheel and see once I have it apart. Definitely replacing the seals though.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:12 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

There are two things I can't seem to find though, the front crank seal and the accessory belts (alternator etc...)
Front crank seal is under oil pump, don't ask me why.

Edit 2: anyone know where to see on the tranny so I can tell which one I have? I looked, but didn't see anything. Perhaps some oil could be covering it though.
It really doesn't matter a whole lot, the clutch for all '92 - '95 Civics is the same. Actually it's the same for '92 - '00 (except '99 - '00 Si)

Just curious, but how do you know Gates are OEM parts?
Gates makes some of Honda's timing belts, the ones they make will have both a Gates logo and a Honda logo when purchased from Honda. Some of them were made by Unitta. Others may have been made by someone else again.

Originally Posted by chucky420
You should also get a rear crankshaft seal and change that out when you do the clutch. Also, if the clutch has been slipping, the flywheel probably needs attention. You can get it resurfaced if it's not too beat up, but I usually just replace them. They're less than a hundred dollars and come with a new pilot bushing. If I remember correctly there is no pilot bearing, just a bushing.
Definitely replace the rear main seal, the flywheel uses a pilot bearing though, not a bushing ('06+ I believe use a bushing though, and possibly '01 - '05)
Old 08-17-2011, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is there a better place to get the clutch kit? Or eat the price from honda automotive parts?
Old 08-17-2011, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Gates part numbers

Alternator belt.............4PK773
A/C belt......................4PK833
Power steering belt........4PK868
Old 08-17-2011, 04:49 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Is there a better place to get the clutch kit? Or eat the price from honda automotive parts?
Look for an Exedy OE replacement clutch on ebay.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I saw a few on there:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=exe....c0.m270.l1313

What are the specs on the stock flywheel on a vx?
Old 08-17-2011, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I picked up this clutch kit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...84.m1439.l2649

I cross referenced it on their site and confirmed the VX model takes the same clutch components. I have found the vx has a lot of different parts just for it's engine, so I double checked it anyway on the honda online parts store.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:48 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Check this out. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-95...item33667abf57

This is where I bougth my stuff from. Everything you need, minus the VC gasket. Just head down to the dealer, shouldn't run more then $15-20
Old 08-17-2011, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I saw that listing and really liked what they had and how they provided the actual honda part numbers. The only thing that I didn't like about the kit is how the tensioner part number doesn't match that on the honda site for the vx.

Edit, I must have been looking at something else. The seals they have are the same size though, I'm guessing it must be a listing error as even the honda parts store online lists the seal sizes and they are definitely different from cam and crank.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Timing belt, Gates is the OEM manufacturer. Not sure on tensioner.
Clutch, Daiken/Exedy are the same company and are the OEM manufacturer. The OEM throwout bearing is a Nachi brand bearing. I have an extra if anyone needs one.....
Clutch slave cylinders are about $15 shipped on eBay if you get a Exedy brand one.
For your seals, just get Fel Pro seals. Again, another OEM manufacturer for Honda as well as Ford, Mazda...

I got a flywheel cheap on Amazon before, and got my clutch for $100 shipped for my Integra engine. Amazon does have good deals sometimes, if you can wait a little for shipping.

Some dealerships will let you price match with other dealerships. It's worth a shot if you need Honda specific parts that other stores don't carry.

Also, for stuff like clutches and accessories, all D series parts are interchangeable. Clutch master and slave cylinders are interchangeable between all D and B series. If in doubt, use a Honda parts site and look up part numbers for different trim levels, or find the part number and then enter that back in and it may say what all it's used on.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:43 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mcvtec
Look for an Exedy OE replacement clutch on ebay.
Yep, they cost next to nothing this way.

Originally Posted by NotAJDMFanBoy
Timing belt, Gates is the OEM manufacturer. Not sure on tensioner.
Like I said they make some of Honda's timing belts, but not all, the VX belt is made Unitta. That said a Gates belt will work just fine.

For your seals, just get Fel Pro seals. Again, another OEM manufacturer for Honda as well as Ford, Mazda...
Nok and Arai make most if not all of Honda's seals. Fel Pro doesn't supply them with anything. For the extremely minimal amount of money they cost I'd just buy OEM and save myself any potential headaches.

If in doubt, use a Honda parts site and look up part numbers for different trim levels, or find the part number and then enter that back in and it may say what all it's used on.
^ Good advice right there.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A crankshaft pulley holding tool, for removing the crankshaft pulley bolt, is advisable, too. Either purchase the tool or develop another plan for removing the bolt.

Quick Reply: New clutch and Timing belt questions