Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EM1 problems post here

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EM1 problems post here

My EM1 is starting to show its age....little things are pissing me off....The windows have a tendency to pop out of track or go slow.....the sunroof cover is starting to peel....trunk latch rattles...Anyone else have problems or know how fix some of these......
Old 11-06-2005, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EM1 problems post here (SiShane)

ah..regular signs of an aging car...nothing to really fear..as far as rattles ticks and pops in the chassi or doors n such..just thoroughly go over nots n bolts..replace latches if necessary...replace your auto window roller...i personally dont ket things like this really get to me..im more interested in my performance..drivetrain..tranny motor and whatevers under the engine bay than blemishes n random rattles
Old 11-06-2005, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, right now my huge problem is something with that transmission that i dont really know...when i shift the whole shifter moves around a lot...plus sometimes it grinds (really subtly) when im in first gear.

and my car has hella dings/scratches from when i bought it and SF's small parking lot (either people rub against my car or it got keyed a little..haters).

my windshield cleaner thingies spray in the wrong direction (way over the car)

the rubber around my back window looks more light grey than black

my trunk is kind of broken, the metal braces are bent so it makes this weird noise when i open the trunk

my driver side seatbelt is hella tangled up

when they installed my alarm they unbolted my AEM SRI from its mount on the fender so now it flops around a little

the climate control is pretty lose, i can pull it off with one finger...and the air circulation/AC/defrost button is really loose and kind of sideways in the socket....and the defrost thing doesnt even light up at night when the lights are on

and that's about it i guess....it probably is in way shittier condition than it should be at 5 years old and 91k miles (88k of those miles being of a few different owners besides me), but hey, its a lot better than my 91 Accord and it gets me around...and girls love vtec right? so whatever
Old 11-06-2005, 11:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm, interesting thread. only small problems so I'm pretty happy. I have a really annoying rattle, i think it's a loose 6x9 speaker. I broke my hood release latch. My windshield wiper arms are all peeling and need to be sprayed. My paint is crap, previous owner didn't do a good job taking care of it.

But most importantly, my motor/tranny is running like a champ! 62k.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:39 AM
H-T White Ops

My motor blew. The turbo may have had something to do with that one though.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IslandSi)

The Din pocket under the CD player is bent. Dash rattles a bit but i have 380 F 430 R springs so that may be to blame. I think I have a torn busing in the rear drivers side LCA. Only that side squeaks a lot when going over bumps. My shocks are brand new (Konis), so it can be that. I also did it with the stock shocks I replaced.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:57 AM

I have a uni wiper, thats my biggest problem, oh and I smoke when im "vtecin".
Old 11-07-2005, 05:05 AM

Default Re: (imreebs)

the window/track problem is known across all em1 ek's with power windows.. myne didnt truelly begine till after my window was broken for some theives to steal my deck . It was all down hill from their ...........
Old 11-07-2005, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (imreebs)

my si smokes too when i am in vtak
Old 11-07-2005, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cambopheonix56)

Im running a 98 B18C(R) in my 99EM1. To get my car running correctly, I use a obd2B to obd2A harness then my p73 ECU. But when, that ECU is in, I always get the knock sensor cel (23). Now, when I put my P2T obd2B ECU in, I get the usual 54 and 22 cel's because my obd2a motor lacks those sensors. soo.. pretty much I have knock sensor cel.

(I got a response from poison already but.. I wanna hear what EM1 owners have to say also..)
Old 11-07-2005, 07:32 AM

Default Re: (kobeRy_si)

my 2ndary o2 sensor is throwing out low output CELS and its making the car run rich. i still smoke like crazy when i hit vtec. is there a way to fix the low voltage on the o2 sensor or do i have to replace it?
Old 11-07-2005, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JdmB16Eg6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JdmB16Eg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my 2ndary o2 sensor is throwing out low output CELS and its making the car run rich. i still smoke like crazy when i hit vtec. is there a way to fix the low voltage on the o2 sensor or do i have to replace it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Same exact problem I have with mine. I believe we need to fully replace the sensor. I looked into it and I believe Honda wants like 200+ for that sensor.

Question:

I have a unknown year cat from a gs-r and it has a sensor attatched. Will this sensor work as my secondary o2?
Old 11-07-2005, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Weatherstripping around drivers side window is all ripped up and doesnt seal the window right

drivers side tweeter cover is cracked and dangling

drivers side window is all off the track and goes up and down all side ways. you have to guide it with your hand or it gets stuck.

climate control is loose and not tight and flush with the dash

if you havnt figured it out yet ****** thieves broke in a jacked the radio ******* everything else up in the process

also driverside fender lining is missing, SRI has no bung for IAT sensor, floor mats are worn, and some other little stuff
Old 11-07-2005, 08:53 AM

My EM1 is in pretty good shape. I'm the second owner and it only has 50,000 miles on it. Its not my daily driver. When I bought it, I had the problem with the window coming off the track. I took the door panel off and tightend the bolts on the track. I also squirt some silcone spray down the track ever time I change my oil. I havent had any problems with it since.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (515blue2kSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 515blue2kSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My EM1 is in pretty good shape. I'm the second owner and it only has 50,000 miles on it. Its not my daily driver. When I bought it, I had the problem with the window coming off the track. I took the door panel off and tightend the bolts on the track. I also squirt some silcone spray down the track ever time I change my oil. I havent had any problems with it since.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lucky to have only 50,xxx miles. I am in the 100,xxx mile club. Anybody else?
Old 11-07-2005, 09:03 AM

Default Re: (R_star)

im at the 50,000 mile club and its my DD!

dont all vtec's smoke?
Old 11-07-2005, 09:06 AM
M12
Honda-Tech Member

Im around 94k miles and no problems. Just one minor thing is that the weather stripping is a bit gray (I think its because i got some wax on it).

No major maintenance yet...my car hasnt seen a mechanic. I only do oil changes.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:10 AM

Default Re: (ill3galdr1v3r)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ill3galdr1v3r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im at the 50,000 mile club and its my DD!

dont all vtec's smoke?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mine never smokes. It does cackle and pop a lot if I let it go into VTEC but then do not shift and just let it wind down. But I'm pretty sure thats normal because VTEC has exhaust valves open at almost the same time has the intake valves.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:32 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by R_star &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Same exact problem I have with mine. I believe we need to fully replace the sensor. I looked into it and I believe Honda wants like 200+ for that sensor.

Question:

I have a unknown year cat from a gs-r and it has a sensor attatched. Will this sensor work as my secondary o2?</TD></TR></TABLE>

See i had took off my header and dont know how but accidently pulled the pins off of the plug on the o2 sensor, i repinned it using a H-T diagram and i threw a code. i never had a problem with it before, but ever since the pins poped out of place ive been getting this code. one problem that i run into with repinning is that there are 2 black wires, and i dont know which exact one goes to which pin hole. R_star- i know someone that will sell a 2ndary o2 sensor for 80 bucks, that came off a 00 Si. Pm for info.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ill3galdr1v3r)

67k miles here.

My biggest thing is the windows roll up slowly. Other than that, everything else that ugs me was caused by thieves.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (my_slow_civic)

comment on that wax on the weatherstripping..mine got grey because of waxing too..cn you just clean it or is replacing a must?..i heard that it eats away at your stripping and other materials like that...im too lazy to check n try to clean as its raining right now
Old 11-07-2005, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

2000 epb 65,xxx
Bought it used from a honda dealer about a month ago.. Looks real clean
Been running 5/30 mobil 1 syn since the day i got it. Changed spark plugs to ngk Vpowers and ngk blue wires.
Have to top it off every now and then though, not a lot.. It doesnt smoke or appear to leak. Hit vtec every now and then. Don't get it, is normal to lose a little oil every couple hundred miles??
Old 11-07-2005, 12:43 PM

My windows use to go slow, i just took it on the track real nicely, lol it goes perfect.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:41 PM

58k miles on my em1.
passenger side window goes down really slow.
weather stripping on drivers side is off...
DOES ANYBODY WANNA TRADE MY SPOILER TRUNK FOR A NON SPOILER TRUNK?? IF SO PM ME BACk ASAP!!!!!!
Old 11-07-2005, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

85k miles
runs ok i guess, sometimes lag at 4k rpm
broken door handle
bad bushings, but i guess its aftermarket so ...
window sometimes goes down slow on driver side
trunk rattles, speakers sometimes sounds like ****, tweeters vibrate off

but most of that **** is probably due to aftermarket ****, like harsh suspension

^^ i would trade, but im across the nation and i need fbp,not ebp like it seems u have ... ?

Quick Reply: EM1 problems post here