Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Muffler fell off :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler fell off :(

so i was driving on highway today and i head loud noise from muffler. I went home and went under the car to find out that back of the muffler was rusted badly and fell off. I am going to autozone tomorrow to get a temporary muffler.
questions:

1: what is the size of stock pipe?
2: autozone muffler inlet size is 2". what size of clamps do i need for installation?
3: will i need an adapter clamp?
Old 01-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Muffler fell off :(

Originally Posted by slimsol
so i was driving on highway today and i head loud noise from muffler. I went home and went under the car to find out that back of the muffler was rusted badly and fell off. I am going to autozone tomorrow to get a temporary muffler.
questions:

1: what is the size of stock pipe?
2: autozone muffler inlet size is 2". what size of clamps do i need for installation?
3: will i need an adapter clamp?
No chance of just driving it to a muffler shop and having them weld up a new muffler? Trying to work on a budget?
Old 01-01-2011, 07:27 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

OP, don't forget to include the year, trim and body style of your vehicle just in case. All of that information could help with your problem.

You also might be able to find a cheap bolt-up OE muffler on Craigslist local to you.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 95ProjectEJ1
No chance of just driving it to a muffler shop and having them weld up a new muffler? Trying to work on a budget?
I live in a small town where its hard to find a CHEAP muffler shop. Midas wasnt interested in welding or patching up my existing muffler gave me a quote of $300 to replace the muffler.

Originally Posted by NOFX
OP, don't forget to include the year, trim and body style of your vehicle just in case. All of that information could help with your problem.

You also might be able to find a cheap bolt-up OE muffler on Craigslist local to you.
its 2000 civic si. with stock muffler
Old 01-01-2011, 07:46 PM
H-T White Ops

I used a '99-'00 Civic Si muffler on my '98 EX coupe with success (no modification). Any '96-'00 Civic coupe or sedan muffler should fit your car.

I've found stock mufflers for about $50 in good condition before.

So that might be an option for you.

Replacing a muffler is SUPER easy.

There are two spring bolts on the front of the muffler piping, attaching the muffler to the b-pipe at the flange. Remove those.

Then there are two hooks with rubber hangers that suspend the rear end of the muffler. the hangers pop right back onto the hooks on the car and muffler, so don't worry about slipping them off of either piece or even both.

You'll need to jack the car up and prop it on some jackstands in order to do this work, but there's not a lot involved with this job and no specialty tools are needed.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NOFX
I used a '99-'00 Civic Si muffler on my '98 EX coupe with success (no modification). Any '96-'00 Civic coupe or sedan muffler should fit your car.

I've found stock mufflers for about $50 in good condition before.

So that might be an option for you.

Replacing a muffler is SUPER easy.

There are two spring bolts on the front of the muffler piping, attaching the muffler to the b-pipe at the flange. Remove those.

Then there are two hooks with rubber hangers that suspend the rear end of the muffler. the hangers pop right back onto the hooks on the car and muffler, so don't worry about slipping them off of either piece or even both.

You'll need to jack the car up and prop it on some jackstands in order to do this work, but there's not a lot involved with this job and no specialty tools are needed.
I bought this car used and previous owner got muffler welded to the b-pile so there is no flange or screw there. I cant used OEM replacement muffler because of that
Old 01-01-2011, 08:50 PM
H-T White Ops

I just went through this with my Prelude. Only thing is my b-pipe was close to three inches! It was so bad the car would bog on first acceleration.

I ended up finding a used OE muffler and b-pipe for $40. I was VERY lucky since the old, loud, giant carbon fiber muffler and the welded b-pipe were illegal and attracting attention from police. Doesn't help that the car is yellow.

Now my used muffler, being possible 22 years old, isn't doing awesome either (i can hear the element within the muffler is falling apart), but it's holding up for long enough that I can end up getting the OE equipment brand new (there's not lots of aftermarket options for the '88-'91 Prelude). The muffler new from Honda (with lifetime warranty, btw) is $150. The b-pipe is the same with the same warranty.

So I can get both pieces brand new from Honda with a lifetime warranty on both items for $300 and then go home and install the two parts in about half an hour.

Knowing how easy muffler replacement is (and exhaust replacement in general), I would never bring a car to a shop to get it done unless I was planning on getting something welded.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, maybe you could try to find an entire used cat back to install, assuming that flange is still on the car. You could pick up an aftermarket cat-back as well if so inclined.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

someone around here just bought a whole ebay exhaust for 70 bucks.

i'd imagine you could find a cheap exhaust shop. not midas or any major one. a small time shop. its only welding a pipe not an overhaul.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would try and find a stock, used SI axleback off eBay or craigslist. That way you dont waste your money on an AutoZone muffler that is going to be replaced. With a jack, PB blaster and a little time you should be able to swap it out easily.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So went to advance auto and bought walker sound solutions muffler. clamped the muffler with bpipe using clamps. Looks and sounds decent. lets see how long does it last.
Will the clamp hold the muffler or should i get it welded?
Old 01-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

2/1/4 is what you want for stock. knowing you if you had b-series than you want a 2.5.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CRX_RR
2/1/4 is what you want for stock. knowing you if you had b-series than you want a 2.5.
2.5" if hes not looking for power, but 3" if hes looking to max it out. Kteller sells catback pipe kits for $150 for aluminized steel and $175 for stainless. Throw a universal muffler on there w/ a 24" resonator and call it a day. $250 for some extra HP and a way better sound.