Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

JDM Fog Retrofit???

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM Fog Retrofit???

Ok I am completely upset with the Fogs. They are the Ebay kind, but I been reading up that even the ebay kind are virtually the same as the OEM ones minus the switch and harness....

Which in a nutshell, they suck! I have a LED Bulb that puts out more light! I was noticing that the Fogs are almost IDENTICAL to the 2G Eclipse Fog Lights. Except the Eclipse Fogs are Round. I have BOTH Fogs from a 2g Eclipse Parts Car. I separated one of the JDM fogs and one of the DSM Fogs. The Reflector housing on the DSM isn't prefect. Its chrome but has bumps and scratches, maybe from Manufacture. The Lenses look identical. I don't have digital eye sight, but from looking at them as close as I could together, they look completely the same. The Reflector housing of the JDM was PERFECT! Chrome, no imperfections of any kind. I'm guessing its the shape maybe.... Now the real differences is the front housing is round on the DSM Fog, And Oval Shaped on the JDM.

Is that the differences, is that why the JDM Fogs suck for light? What can I do to get kick *** light for the fogs? Should I retrofit the DSM Fogs? Is there a better fog light to use? Something I could possibly find without issues at a local salvage yard? I'm almost getting desperate just because the fogs aren't what I was hoping. Inside my DSM Fogs I had these 100W bulbs that were intense. Can the JDM Fogs withstand the heat?

Please give me options. I'm new to this whole thing.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM Fog Retrofit???

Originally Posted by SWAT
Ok I am completely upset with the Fogs. They are the Ebay kind, but I been reading up that even the ebay kind are virtually the same as the OEM ones minus the switch and harness....

Which in a nutshell, they suck! I have a LED Bulb that puts out more light! I was noticing that the Fogs are almost IDENTICAL to the 2G Eclipse Fog Lights. Except the Eclipse Fogs are Round. I have BOTH Fogs from a 2g Eclipse Parts Car. I separated one of the JDM fogs and one of the DSM Fogs. The Reflector housing on the DSM isn't prefect. Its chrome but has bumps and scratches, maybe from Manufacture. The Lenses look identical. I don't have digital eye sight, but from looking at them as close as I could together, they look completely the same. The Reflector housing of the JDM was PERFECT! Chrome, no imperfections of any kind. I'm guessing its the shape maybe.... Now the real differences is the front housing is round on the DSM Fog, And Oval Shaped on the JDM.

Is that the differences, is that why the JDM Fogs suck for light? What can I do to get kick *** light for the fogs? Should I retrofit the DSM Fogs? Is there a better fog light to use? Something I could possibly find without issues at a local salvage yard? I'm almost getting desperate just because the fogs aren't what I was hoping. Inside my DSM Fogs I had these 100W bulbs that were intense. Can the JDM Fogs withstand the heat?

Please give me options. I'm new to this whole thing.
just buy hid for your fogs....
Old 03-24-2010, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Brighter light don't fix a crappy design.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What year civic? Mine are ebay ones and theyre great!!
Old 03-25-2010, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is there a difference in the years? Its a 95. My Ebay lights barely put out any light, if you look at them when on they don't look like much. and if you look under the cutoff it looks bright, but hardly any light is put down, if you switch them on and off you can almost barely tell they turn on and off.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LED bulbs are meant to be bright, not project a beam. That might be your issue.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My issue of my LED Flashlight projecting more of a beam than my Fog Lights? Yeah that is an issue! Thats why I brought this all up. My Fog Lights don't project hardly any light!

Fogs...

Low Beams and Fogs...

And those images are a clear representation of how it looks. Any other car I've driven with fog lights, actually light up the road. Hell the fogs on my Talon are almost better than my low beams completely. The Eclipse's fogs lit up soo well, you could see the beam cutoff on sidewalks and stuff as your driving through the city streets.

These are just crap.

Low Beams on Talon, W/ 1 Cheap Autozone Fog Light! Fog Light and low beam on the right, just low beam on the left...

I want them to look like this on the road...

Since I have H3 HID's sittin around that used to be in my talon, I'll toss one in on one side just to prove it doesn't help much, if any.

Last edited by SWAT; 03-25-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I got it all done almost... ES300 Fog Light Retrofit. Wish I coulda used the entire fog, but oh well.

Light output is almost that of the above, just gotta add HID's for the extra intensity.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my fault, read it wrong. Check the wattage output on your fog light bulbs. good luck on the retrofit
Old 03-28-2010, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They are normal bulbs, but you can tell that its not the brightness or anything. I even put in 100w bulbs, didn't change much. You can tell the beam pattern was crap. I tried the retrofit one and DAYUM it has a killer beam pattern. Wish it was a little more spread out but damn the ground is lit up and the cutoff is almost mint.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 03-28-2010, 11:58 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

i did the same thing with a retro fit like this with a 3k hid and a 8k some how the 8 k turns it green with a yellow lense and the 3k starts off green then two a bright as f u c k yellow that makes birds fall out of tree's lol any who. just put some hid's in it bro youll be much pleased
Old 03-29-2010, 12:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is there a difference in the years? Its a 95. My Ebay lights barely put out any light, if you look at them when on they don't look like much. and if you look under the cutoff it looks bright, but hardly any light is put down, if you switch them on and off you can almost barely tell they turn on and off.
Seriously??? Um ya try to fit ek fogs on a eg
Old 03-29-2010, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mrharmonic
i did the same thing with a retro fit like this with a 3k hid and a 8k some how the 8 k turns it green with a yellow lense and the 3k starts off green then two a bright as f u c k yellow that makes birds fall out of tree's lol any who. just put some hid's in it bro youll be much pleased
I'm planning on running HID's also. Might order a couple sets tonight whenever this company responds to my email involving multi product shipping. I want super yellow fogs with bluish low beams. The look on the road is just awesome!
Originally Posted by Single Sixteen
Seriously??? Um ya try to fit ek fogs on a eg
Uhm, Why would I do that? I own a EJ (EG), Not an EK. And my Signature says it. I didn't know the 5g and 6g Civics were the same. Must have just been my imagination, or my lack of experience with honda's since I'm not much of a honda guy. I just thought all 92-95's were the same when it came to my situation. Sorry. I'll remember to let you know that I own a 95 since my signature isn't visible to the public and 92-00's are all one in the same.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 03-30-2010, 12:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i was being sarcastic
Old 03-30-2010, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Single Sixteen
i was being sarcastic
Hard to tell without hearing the tone of a voice.