Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Idle surging need help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Idle surging need help!

Originally Posted by xlusiveracer
yes reason I'm trying to bleed coolant is to rid of my idle issue.not over heating coolant seems to be good now
sorry I'm in alaska and we're in the - degrees. So it's kinda cold.i have no garage so doing everything outside
Old 01-20-2017, 05:33 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts

The bleeder valve was kinda pointlesst. There is a reason Honda got rid of it after 95. It does nothing to actually help bleed air out of the system. It's only used during the initial fill of the cooling system anyways.

The best thing to do is get the "spill free funnel" from Amazon for $24. Then run the car with the funnel in place and the heat on max. The coolant will swell up into the funnel and you can burp out bubbles by squeezing the hoses and revving the engine. Continue doing this until no more micro bubbles are coming out. Takes a long time. Radiator fan must come on during the process at least twice, and no bubbles should be present when reving or squeezing the hoses. Then remove the funnel and cap off the radiator just after the fan switches off for the final time.

Another thing that can help is moving the temp selector to cold for a few, and then back to hot again. Small bubbles can get trapped in the heater core. If you shut off the flow, the small bubbles can collect into big ones. Then opening flow again will shove them out. Remember the water pump whips any larger bubbles into very small ones. This is why it takes so long to bleed them all out.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94eg!
The bleeder valve was kinda pointlesst. There is a reason Honda got rid of it after 95. It does nothing to actually help bleed air out of the system. It's only used during the initial fill of the cooling system anyways.

The best thing to do is get the "spill free funnel" from Amazon for $24. Then run the car with the funnel in place and the heat on max. The coolant will swell up into the funnel and you can burp out bubbles by squeezing the hoses and revving the engine. Continue doing this until no more micro bubbles are coming out. Takes a long time. Radiator fan must come on during the process at least twice, and no bubbles should be present when reving or squeezing the hoses. Then remove the funnel and cap off the radiator just after the fan switches off for the final time.

Another thing that can help is moving the temp selector to cold for a few, and then back to hot again. Small bubbles can get trapped in the heater core. If you shut off the flow, the small bubbles can collect into big ones. Then opening flow again will shove them out. Remember the water pump whips any larger bubbles into very small ones. This is why it takes so long to bleed them all out.
so would an unbled system only cause flucuating rpms?not consistent 1-2500k rpm up down up down?
Old 01-20-2017, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Is your cooling system working properly--
* Warms up to normal temperature and stays almost exactly the same through all driving conditions.
* Heater works.
* When you check in the morning with the car completely cold before the first start, reservoir level is at the "cold" line, and radiator is full to the top every time.

If all that is OK it is time to move on and consider other reasons for the idle problem.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Is your cooling system working properly--
* Warms up to normal temperature and stays almost exactly the same through all driving conditions.
* Heater works.
* When you check in the morning with the car completely cold before the first start, reservoir level is at the "cold" line, and radiator is full to the top every time.

If all that is OK it is time to move on and consider other reasons for the idle problem.
yes all that checks out.also a code 43 would pop sometimes if the car isn't fully warmed up.i can turn off and back on and it doesn't come back on until another cold start
Old 01-20-2017, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK now you are into idle-specific diagnosis. I'm assuming it has OBD1 and a two-wire IACV. In that case warm up the engine let it idle and then unplug the IACV and see what happens.

It doesn't change-- Something is letting too much air into the engine.
It slows way down-- The ECU is improperly commanding a high idle.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK now you are into idle-specific diagnosis. I'm assuming it has OBD1 and a two-wire IACV. In that case warm up the engine let it idle and then unplug the IACV and see what happens.

It doesn't change-- Something is letting too much air into the engine.
It slows way down-- The ECU is improperly commanding a high idle.
when I let it run and unplug the iacv the car dies ??.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Warm up engine and ohm test the ECT sensor. Likely the ECU thinks the engine is cold and drives the IACV open to make it idle fast, even though is not actually cold. The ECT sensor can be out of spec but not far enough to cause a code.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Warm up engine and ohm test the ECT sensor. Likely the ECU thinks the engine is cold and drives the IACV open to make it idle fast, even though is not actually cold. The ECT sensor can be out of spec but not far enough to cause a code.
where is the etc sensor?
Old 01-21-2017, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

On a D series it is screwed into the end of the head underneath the distributor. Get the factory service manual for your engine. It will show the location. Also you will need the resistance vs. temperature chart to make the diagnosis.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

On a D series it is screwed into the end of the head underneath the distributor. Get the factory service manual for your engine. It will show the location. Also you will need the resistance vs. temperature chart to make the diagnosis.
would it be cause it's high compression 13:1 and I'm using pump 90 octane but is tuned be causing it?
Old 01-22-2017, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

With a "tuned" setup, all bets are somewhat off. You would need to consult someone familiar with the specific tuning process. You should however make sure your sensors are working to Honda spec first.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

With a "tuned" setup, all bets are somewhat off. You would need to consult someone familiar with the specific tuning process. You should however make sure your sensors are working to Honda spec first.
ok I'll look at those first
Old 01-23-2017, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you won’t believe this but last week with my 00 honda civic 5 speed drive normal like everyday. turn off the car hours later turn on everything normal in one red light the rpm goes up and down 1-2 2-1 i was very angry because i just fit the oil like from the vtec selenoid and now this ....... so what i do i just hit the gas in every gear around 5000 rpm ..... and FIX
Old 01-23-2017, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Espincivic
you won’t believe this but last week with my 00 honda civic 5 speed drive normal like everyday. turn off the car hours later turn on everything normal in one red light the rpm goes up and down 1-2 2-1 i was very angry because i just fit the oil like from the vtec selenoid and now this ....... so what i do i just hit the gas in every gear around 5000 rpm ..... and FIX
lol idk if your trolling or not.but ya I sometimes get in it and it doesn't go away but comes back another time.on another note I noticed the. Code will come up if the cars gas is below half tank.also can a tune disable vtec?i haven't really gotten the chance to beat it but took it thru whole 3rd gear and heard no cross over
Old 01-23-2017, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by xlusiveracer
lol idk if your trolling or not.but ya I sometimes get in it and it doesn't go away but comes back another time.on another note I noticed the. Code will come up if the cars gas is below half tank.also can a tune disable vtec?i haven't really gotten the chance to beat it but took it thru whole 3rd gear and heard no cross over
just found out the pervious owner had to reweld the header back together..will that hurt the performance of my car??either way I'll be replacing it just curious if I should be worried running it like that