Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How often do D-series oil pumps fail

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How often do D-series oil pumps fail

Friend of mine has a 92 Civic, auto tranny and IIRC it had the D15 motor. Oil light came on yesterday and was immediately shut off before I got there. Oil levels looked okay, but I topped off an extra 1.5 quarts just to be safe. (it had a 1mile drive, wasn't too concerned about excessive oil.). I also listened for rodknock at various RPMs, but didn't hear anything out of the ordinary.

He got the car home but he said the oil light was flickering when he approached stop signs (low oil pressure at idle), and that it only happened intermittently. He started the car this morning and said that the oil light flickers after about 30 seconds of run-time from a coldstart (I would guess the oil's temperature makes it more viscous).

I'm draining the oil in a bit and taking a look for bearing material, but just in case it comes up clean, how often do oil pumps fail on the D's? Haven't looked at the schematics yet, but does the block have to come apart for replacement? Thanks in advance
Old 04-02-2011, 02:46 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: How often do D-series oil pumps fail

They fail when they fail. There are no stats for something like this. Hook up a cheap gauge to check the pressure just in case the oil pressure sender is going out. If you have to replace the pump the block does not have to be taken apart. DO NOT DRIVE that car again until you figure out the problem.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you're absolutely right that there's no stats, but if a failing oil pump is unheard of, it gives me a sequence of priorities in diagnosing the root cause of the issue.

Right now, I'm thinking that ensuring the bearings didn't spin is a priority. won't really matter if I find shavings in the oil lol.. cost of replacement engine is significantly less than even the parts alone for repair. thanks for your help
Old 04-02-2011, 03:13 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

A failing pump is definitely NOT unheard of. If you're not getting a knocking noise chances are you didn't spin a bearing. Easy to pull the oil pan and check. If you do that you might as well go ahead and replace the pump.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It sounds to me more like your rod bearings are worn,drop the pan and have a look see at the crank and bearings for damage.
Hopefully you caught it soon enough and a new set of bearings will cure the issue.
The oil pumps that I have seen fail,simply failed.
no warning (except for the oil light) or any oil pressure at all.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:33 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Usaly when the light turns on, its already to late.

These things happen, it sucks.

Finding metal shavings in the oil isn't horrible. Good? No. I dropped my friends pan to replace the gasket and there were shavings in the oil. Yet the car contunies to run just fine.

IF the bearing look good, pick up a magnetic drain plug, and keep a very very close eye on the car.

Also, I woudn't put it past the sensor failing.