Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HG replacment Q: How to keep timing when removing TB off cam

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HG replacment Q: How to keep timing when removing TB off cam

I'm in the process of removing the head off my D16Y7 to change the Head Gasket. My Timing Belt is relatively new and I really want to avoid having to re-do the timing when putting everything back together.

A few of the DIY's Im using mention slipping the timing belt only off the cam to remove the head, but arent too specific on how they are able to ensure they keep everything else time.

I'm sure plenty of people do this, especially in shops to get through jobs and efficiently as possible.

I imagine Ill have to use a C-Clamp on one of the pulleys, but which one(s)? Also, is it completely necessary I purchase the crankshaft pulley removal tool if I have an electric impact wrench?

Any other advice?
Old 05-22-2014, 10:14 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: HG replacment Q: How to keep timing when removing TB off cam

You'll need to redo the timing either way, which is not difficult at all.

Before you take it apart, set it at TDC.
Do what you need to do, and put the cam back at TDC. Roll it over a few times to insure you got it.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:05 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Timing relates the crank to the head. Without the head being on...there's nothing to time. So you have to "re-do" the timing anyway. There's no way around it.

Turn the crank counterclockwise by hand. Remember that I said counterclockwise. Turn it till the crank is at TDC AND the cam arrow is pointing up AND the cam marks line up with the head. The cam marks need to line up with the head. The crank, more importantly, needs to be at TDC. You can now undo the tensioner, lock it in the limp position, and take the belt off the cam.

Then remove the head. Then when you put it back together, make sure the crank is still at TDC. As the head bolts on, the cam marks lining up to the head is extremely important. Make sure the crank is still at TDC again. Slip the belt on. Unlock the tensioner so it snaps into tension.

Rotate counterclockwise 2 teeth. Lock the tensioner down in tthe tensioned position.

Check timing after 2 full rotations counterclockwise. Check it again. Cam marks lined to the head. Crank at TDC.

Those steps work well for anyone with timing questions. Timing questions means you're not familiar enough with it to skip around those steps. It's redundant for a reason.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:07 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

No way around it, again.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Weld the head to the block. Lol jk its not hard just use a long screwdriver to see where tdc is on compression stroke. You can mark your valve cover (or anything around the cam) with a sharpie at tdc before you pull it off if your dont feel too confident
Old 05-23-2014, 02:57 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^But...there are marks already on the cam and the crank....why would you need a sharpie or a screw driver?
Old 05-24-2014, 04:34 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

With the Y7 you want the UP stamp on the pulley at 12 o'clock and the left and right TDC marks level with the head (the valve cover mating surface) at TDC cyl 1. Double check timing marks at the crank as in the illustration.

NOTE: the left and right marks will not line up perfectly with the head, and the UP stamp will not be exactly at 12 o'clock

Name:  Timing_on_Honda_Civic.jpg
Views: 6700
Size:  34.9 KB

No offense meant opie, but you should have all these instructions if you're doing a head gasket, especially for the first time.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool thanks yall!

My bad tho, was pretty sleepy when I created thread.

What I meant by 're-do timing' was remove the crankshaft pulley and lower timing belt covers to remove the timing belt and re-do a timing belt installation. It appear to be quite a bit of extra work to remove the lower TB cover and pulley according to the manual. Ive done TB's before, and always triple check timing regardless when there's anything to do with the TB.

The tensioner bolt was actually what I was looking for. I just didnt know where it was located.

In case anyone else stumbles upon this thread with the same question, see below.

There is a small black plastic round cover, behind it is the timing belt tensioner bolt (socket is on bolt in pic as it's recessed behind lower TB cover). You'll need to loosen it to get the timing belt off the cam gear.

I then carefully zip-tied the TB to a nearby hole to maintain tension on belt to avoid TB skipping teeth on crankshaft or any other pulleys.

And as perviously mentioned, ALWAYS check timing!
Old 05-25-2014, 07:38 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

You don't need to remove the crank, lower timing belt cover, to get the head off. I'm making it easy for you right there.