Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

H22/EK Swap, Mystery of the missing RPM wire...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 04:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22/EK Swap, Mystery of the missing RPM wire...

Hi everyone,

I've spent several hours searching this and other forums on this matter and I can't seem to find the answer. I'm doing an H22 swap into a '99 Civic DX. I'm using the P13 ECU, modifying the Civic harness, and the engine is from a '93. I've been wiring it up and that's been going fine, until I got to the distributor. The 8-pin distributor plug on the Civic harness has all 8 pins filled, but in the diagrams it shows that there is a 9th wire, a blue one, that goes to the tach. It doesn't seem to be here. On the H22 distributor, 7 of the 8 pins are filled, the missing one being the Black/Yellow power wire, which is on a seperate 2-pin connector along with a Blue wire (which I guess is the tach wire). Where is this blue tach wire on the Civic harness, and where does it need to go?

*edit* I wasn't sure if this should go here or in the Hybrid forum, so I stuck it here...
Old 11-11-2006, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: H22/EK Swap, Mystery of the missing RPM wire... (Dr Tweak)

Okay, let's see if this helps out. Here is the distributor on the H22 engine. You can see that I used the plug from the Civic, and I swapped the power wire (black/yellow) over to the Civic plug (which had 8 pins filled, all of the pins matched except for the power wire on the H22 distributor which was on a large two-pin connector). You can see the blue "engine speed output" wire isn't attached to anything, and there doesn't seem to be one on the Civic harness.

Here are the plugs from the H22, you can see that only 7 pins on the 8-pin connector are used (the 8th one being the black/yellow power wire which is on the large two-pin connector), and then the blue wire on the large two-pin connector which is the "engine speed output" wire.

And here is the Civic distributor, the only difference being that I have stolen the pin for the coil power wire from the 8-pin connector:

Again, I have the blue "engine speed output" wire on the H22 distributor, I just need to figure out where to attach it on the Civic harness.

Thanks for the help!

-Doc