Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Does cruising downhill in neutral save gas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does cruising downhill in neutral save gas?

I've read the previous threads to find that most believe you do save gas by doing this but there are a few that say otherwise.
Instinct tells me that i do save gas, since downhill in gear means high rpm, but then u get quotes like these;
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by majeed11 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no, higher RPM does not equal more gas. More you throttle = more gas.</TD></TR></TABLE>
It's also quite believable that it takes less gas for the momentum of the wheels to drive the engine rather than the engine having to idle in neutral and run itself;
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wup69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You use less gas if the engine is being spun by the wheels. This is because the engine does not need to support itself by keeping the idle. Its not gonna give you either life, nor gas economy.</TD></TR></TABLE>
One arguement sounds more legitimate, yet more people back the other point of view.
I'm pov *** with the current gas prices!

What's the truth in all this???
Old 10-16-2005, 08:51 AM

Default Re: Does cruising downhill in neutral save gas? (civicdacbiet)

i've always thought that doing this wastes gas

reason:
if your going downhill w/out stepping on the gas pedal, the injectors are turned off which means no gas usage at all. Putting the car in neutral the injectors are activated beause there is nothing keeping the car going.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:59 AM

Default Re: Does cruising downhill in neutral save gas? (Cypher0117)

+1 ^^^^^^^
Old 10-16-2005, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does cruising downhill in neutral save gas? (HotImportNightHonda)

Cypher is correct. If you put your car in neutral, the tranny can't turn the engine, so in turn your injectors will turn on to keep the engine moving at the 750-800rpm idle speed. To conserve gas going downhill, just let off the throttle. This will turn the injectors completely off and the momentum of the transmission will keep the engine turning at whatever rpm is correct for the gear you're in. Plus you will have more control of your car being in gear in case of an emergency situation.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:24 AM

no
Old 10-16-2005, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Does cruising downhill in neutral save gas? (turbodreamz0385)

Cyper is right. I know I'm like the 10th person but you sound like you want a consensus or something.

It's called DFCO. There were at least two fairly recent threads that killed this topic.

Proof that logic based on ignorance is ****. Asking people's opinions is ****. Just get the book and read it.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Does cruising downhill in neutral save gas? (suspendedHatch)

these guys are correct

i used to think coasting in N was better, until i needed to go to avoid someone, in which i couldnt as quickly and almost hit them

should always keep your car in gear
Old 10-16-2005, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cypher0117 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've always thought that doing this wastes gas

reason:
if your going downhill w/out stepping on the gas pedal, the injectors are turned off which means no gas usage at all. Putting the car in neutral the injectors are activated beause there is nothing keeping the car going.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct. Get a wideband and watch it work. Neutral puts you at 14.7ish and in gear with no gas puts you off the charts lean.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Does cruising downhill in neutral save gas? (Ricey McRicerton)

cypher is right just leave it in gear and dont give any gas thats all.

Dave
Old 10-16-2005, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does cruising downhill in neutral save gas? (93SiVtec677)

bump for good info many people (including me) didn't know.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:33 AM

This is how i drive now, a compromise between the two methods;

1) When <U>driving</U> down a steep hill, i put it in gear and use the engine to maintain control for safety's sake. The igniters will be off.
Reasoning: It would take more gas to run the engine at idle than when the engine is run by the wheels.

2) When <U>driving</U> down slight slopes which don't require the same control, i put it in neutral. The igniters are on, at idle rpm.
Resoning: Putting it in gear will still require me to keep my foot on accelerator to keep constant speed which keeps engine rpm higher than at idle revs thus using more gas.

3) When <U>stopping</U> on level ground, i put it in neutral to save my tranny, nothing to do with fuel.

4) When <U>stopping</U> on a downward slope, i use engine braking for safety and control, once again nothing to do with fuel.

Any problems with that?
Old 10-23-2005, 07:38 AM

yes it helps. also i have a fuel additve that can save you 2 to 5 mpg of gas. i treates 144 gallons of gas + octine booster, gas line antifrezze, fuel stablezier, clean injtors for $15.00 will last a long time. email if you want to save on fuel dphonesavang@yahoo.com
for more info email me
Old 10-23-2005, 08:02 AM
eL
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (civicdacbiet)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicdacbiet &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">3) When <U>stopping</U> on level ground, i put it in neutral to save my tranny, nothing to do with fuel.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

When stopping, you could just wind down the gear you were driving in until your RPMs get low, put the car in Neutral, then stop. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:50 AM

Default Re: (eL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

When stopping, you could just wind down the gear you were driving in until your RPMs get low, put the car in Neutral, then stop. Nothing wrong with that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats exactly what i do. I also downshift when coming to a stop going down a hill
Old 10-23-2005, 11:46 PM

Makes sense... i'll do that from now on too.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:55 PM

Default Re: (civicdacbiet)

I've tested this in my TSX coming home from Vegas. MPG goes from 30 to 50+ (navi screen stops at 50) coasting down a hill in neutral at freeway speeds.

The Navigation CPU/Info wouldn't lie.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Re: (Astig)

Why tranny brake?

You have brakes, use them what they were made for.

Just put the clutch in ans downshift according to your speed, if anything happens, blip the throttle and let off the clutch.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:57 AM

Default Re: (Aquafina)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Aquafina &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why tranny brake?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

we're talking gas consumption, not how to brake. use neutral if you want to maintain your speed. when in gear with out any throttle input, your injectors shut off til around 1100 rpms, when they kick back on again.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:44 AM

hmm good to know...glad i found this thread, im always in neutral down hills
Old 10-24-2005, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Re: Does cruising downhill in neutral save gas? (sockvtec)

There are no hills in Tennessee where you can coast in gear and be under 1,100.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:28 AM

question answered
Old 10-24-2005, 08:33 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cypher0117 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
reason:
if your going downhill w/out stepping on the gas pedal, the injectors are turned off which means no gas usage at all. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Wrong. If the injectors were to completey turn off wether the wheels are turning the engine or not the car would die. Momentum cannot create combustion, it can assist it but that is all. Although it does reduce the amount of gas fed through the injectors it does not eliminate fule flow to the combustion chamber.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:10 AM
Banned

Default Re: Does cruising downhill in neutral save gas? (dphonesavang)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dphonesavang &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes it helps. also i have a fuel additve that can save you 2 to 5 mpg of gas. i treates 144 gallons of gas + octine booster, gas line antifrezze, fuel stablezier, clean injtors for $15.00 will last a long time. email if you want to save on fuel dphonesavang@yahoo.com
for more info email me</TD></TR></TABLE>

this guy is FULL of ****

and the other are right. coasting in gear off the throttle will shut your injectors off and turn your engine into a pump
Old 10-24-2005, 09:16 AM

Default Re: Does cruising downhill in neutral save gas? (JDM-97CX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-97CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Wrong. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, you are. the only way your engine could die while in gear is if the car was stopped. when the injectors are not on, your compression within the motor is what slows the car down, but unless you are in neutral, the motor can't die. It only needs combustion when there isn't something forcing the motor to turn.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice topic lol...

Quick Reply: Does cruising downhill in neutral save gas?