Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DIY: 99-00 Civic eBay Fog Light Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY: 99-00 Civic eBay Fog Light Wiring

So some people seem to be a little confused as to how to wire their fog lights considering the Honda given instructions are really nothing like the fog lights given with the eBay sold ones. I have created a guide with pictures to show you exactly how to wire the OEM style harnesses.

I had a lot to do on my car today so I did not cut my bumper to adapt to the foglights but I will being doing this tomorrow and that will also be added to the guide.

So let's start this out..

Tools you will need for wiring:
Phillips Head Screwdriver
10MM Socket
Ratchet Extension (Optional)
Ratchet

Tools Need for Cutting Bumper:
There are many ways to cut your bumper, I prefer doing it with a dremel because it eats right through the bumper where you want to cut. But if you're new to using a dremel, I would use a hobby knife and just take your time with your project.
Sharpie
Dremel
Dremel Cutting Wheel(s) [Part #420]

PART I: WIRING THE HARNESS
I prefer to wire your harness first to make sure that everything works before you go into cutting your bumper, remember, there's no going back. Keep in mind, most of you bought these fog light kits off eBay or Amazon. These sites are notorious for selling broken kits or leave out important harnesses, etc.

1. Grab your harness that connects to your foglights. This harness will have one brown female clip, one ground clip, and two clips to connect to your fog lights itself. The first thing you are going to want to do is connect the ground clip to any bolt that makes a metal-metal connection. I connected mine to one of my headlight bolts.

2. Now this is going to be tricky to find, Honda makes it so their cars are ready to have a fog light kit installed. They hide the harness that they have running from your hood, between your firewall, and behind your dash. Were worrying about the one located under your hood though right now. Look towards your windshield wiper fluid reservoir, there should be a small brown male connector hidden down there somewhere. Grab that connector and take the female clip from your fog light harness and connect them.

Great, your first harness is wired, time to move to the switch harness!

3. Remove the knee bolster from your car, there is going to be one phillips head screw in the bottom left corner, one in the top left corner, and another in the bottom right corner. After that you should just be able to pop it right off. If it doesn't come easy, just pry the sides off with a thin flat head screwdriver (don't force it though, you could snap some of the clips lining the edge)

4. Now this connector is going to be VERY tricky to find, grab a very bright flash light because you WILL need it. Look behind your fuse box (literally behind it) you are going to see a bunch of connectors that are wrapped in blue tape that are unused. Look for the brown male connector.

5. Remove that brown connector from its blue tape by gently pulling on it.

6. Take the brown female connector from your switch harness and connect both of them.

7. There are now two brown male connectors in your harness, you are going to notice that on your fusebox, there is a row of unused female connectors. Plug those two brown male connectors from your switch harness into the female connectors I am showing below.

8. Now you need to ground your switch harness, you can bolt the ground down anywhere you really choose. I like to connect mine to the bolt that holds the metal knee bolster up.

9. Now you need to find a place to hold your relay and fuse. People think you NEED to bolt this relay somewhere. I disagree, I just throw mine ontop of the metal knee bolster I pictured above. If it falls or you are uncomfortable with this, then you can just find any bolt to hold it.

10. Pop the blank switch out of the panel where the sunroof switch is (if you have a sunroof) and where the mirror adjustment button is. Pop your new switch in where there blank used to be.

11. Finally, plug the switch connector into the back of the switch.

12. Reinstall your knee bolster, turn your car on, push your switch to see if the fog lights light up. If the switch lights up when you push it, that means your switch is wired correctly. If the lights do not light up then you went wrong somewhere through this process, check to make sure your connectors are secure and your ground is on bare metal-metal.

Here is a picture of my car with the HIDs and the fogs wired up

PART II: CUTTING THE BUMPER (COMING SOON!)

I hope this clears up a lot of confusion for you guys. I apologize if this is a repetitive guide but I have not seen one on this forum anywhere and I know this will help a few people out. If you have any questions or need more pictures I would be glad to help you out, just post here.

Last edited by Teh Boss; 08-01-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY: 99-00 Civic eBay Fog Light Wiring

nice post man
Old 08-01-2012, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This might help for some harnesses, but mine was different as I didn't need to use the OEM connectors.
However, it seems like a great write-up, it'd be nice to see something fresh after I spent days digging through old tutorials when I wired mine and it took a combination of info from 12+ links just to do it right. nice.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, you make it look so easy. Nice write up.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Danny Sihapanya
Wow, you make it look so easy. Nice write up.

Pictures help!
Old 08-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did those connectors come with your fog kit or are they from the dealer? part numbers if they are?
Old 08-01-2012, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice DIY write up
Old 08-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Marvin1985
did those connectors come with your fog kit or are they from the dealer? part numbers if they are?
Connectors came with mine! Paid a little extra to get a quality kit. I do in fact have 4 spare brown male connectors and 2 spare female connectors if you'd like to buy them off me though

UPDATE: Could not get pics of cutting the bumper, was just too hard to do. Would have done it if I didn't fry the circuit board on my dremel today =\ Had to use a rotary saw and I just wanted to get the whole thing over with, but here is a picture of the final product :D

Old 03-22-2013, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does anyone happen to kno what fuse to check for the foglights?i have the exact same fogs,have been working for 4 months but all of a sudden they stopped working a couple days.i checked all the connections under the dash and in the bay but they all work.i also hooked the front harness to direct power and they work.so it has to be in the cabin.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the relay that came with your kit?
Old 03-23-2013, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MEn'MYEK
Check the relay that came with your kit?
i dont have a multimeter so i cant,i also tried getting one from autozone but they dont have them.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:53 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

OP should mention which kit he bought (and where he bought it) that has the proper OEM-style connectors on it, like in the pics!
Old 03-25-2013, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by deschlong
OP should mention which kit he bought (and where he bought it) that has the proper OEM-style connectors on it, like in the pics!
the rs type kit has the oem connections
Old 06-24-2013, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I can't find my plug from under the hood. Mine is a 98 ek with a 99 front end
Old 06-25-2013, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bunnyx
I can't find my plug from under the hood. Mine is a 98 ek with a 99 front end
Look between your windshield washer bottle & cruise control if you have one. the connector stick out of split loom that runs along the left fender. It's a single blue wire.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got my kit off ebay that came with a gay *** switch and some ridiculous harness that pissed me off under the fuse . I had pocketed a OEM switch out of a SI at the junkyard so I just said screw it and bought the OEM harness $30 & used the relay from the ebay kit.

Hassle free and no bunch of wires in my way.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i took a wire connector, the kind that let you add a circuit from an existing and just wired them up to turn on with my high beams. i bought 2 ebay kits and neiter would work so eventually i thought it may be an issue at the fuse block and comprised that method. something else i did was cover the fixtures with clear packaging tape. it still lets the light shine through uninhibited and stopped my issue of breaking the glass on the kits. replacement bulbs however cost almost as much as a replacement kit at pep boys and require "customizing" the connection.

nice write up and pix though
Old 06-25-2013, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by racerx510
replacement bulbs however cost almost as much as a replacement kit at pep boys and require "customizing" the connection.
You talking them small H3 bulbs. A pair is like $7-15. You must be gettin ripped off hard.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by chillerice
I got my kit off ebay that came with a gay *** switch and some ridiculous harness that pissed me off under the fuse . I had pocketed a OEM switch out of a SI at the junkyard so I just said screw it and bought the OEM harness $30 & used the relay from the ebay kit.

Hassle free and no bunch of wires in my way.
Do you have a part # for that harness?
Old 06-25-2013, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

08V31-S01-10107 SWITCH, HARNESS (99-00)
08V31-S01-10007 SWITCH, HARNESS (96-98)

You plug out your headlight harness on the left size of your steering wheel and plug it into the harness then the harness into the steering connector. Note: You won't have fogs with when you switch to high beam. It's a safety feature as the fogs are hella bright.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Props for the write-up. I thought it was going to be much more complicated than this. I just wired up my 99 EK and besides a loose connector to the fuse box it went right in.

BTW I couldn't find the brown switch connector to save my life until I dismounted the fuse box and carefully pulled it out of the way. It was hiding in the loom just behind and to the left of the box.

Here' good cut and mount write up.

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=151970

Last edited by BeatDX; 10-23-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:05 PM
Trial User

Hello, and thanks for the guidance excellent very clear, I got all the connectors.. I have a 2000 honda civic si coupe and I'd installed the jdm fog lights. Read, and read so many times the guidance.. But don't understand step 28? Now the switch turns on and constantly on. I press the switch but the lights don't turn on. I'm trying to solve the issue, I know I'm so close but just need an advice from you? I'd asked my cousin but, he didn't know...
Old 05-10-2014, 06:08 PM
Trial User

Ok. I did all the process, the witch buttons it's lid constantly when I turn on my lights, press on the switch to turn on the fog lights but they don't turn on. The connector near the windshield fluid was a bit coroided, I'm wonder if it's that?
Old 10-17-2014, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks bro i have been searching most of the day for a post like this. I am going to wire my 99 Ek sedan tonight. thanks and great post i didnt even realize that. that connecter was already installed that makes it much simpler.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Teh Boss
So some people seem to be a little confused as to how to wire their fog lights considering the Honda given instructions are really nothing like the fog lights given with the eBay sold ones. I have created a guide with pictures to show you exactly how to wire the OEM style harnesses.

I had a lot to do on my car today so I did not cut my bumper to adapt to the foglights but I will being doing this tomorrow and that will also be added to the guide.

So let's start this out..

Tools you will need for wiring:
Phillips Head Screwdriver
10MM Socket
Ratchet Extension (Optional)
Ratchet

Tools Need for Cutting Bumper:
There are many ways to cut your bumper, I prefer doing it with a dremel because it eats right through the bumper where you want to cut. But if you're new to using a dremel, I would use a hobby knife and just take your time with your project.
Sharpie
Dremel
Dremel Cutting Wheel(s) [Part #420]

PART I: WIRING THE HARNESS
I prefer to wire your harness first to make sure that everything works before you go into cutting your bumper, remember, there's no going back. Keep in mind, most of you bought these fog light kits off eBay or Amazon. These sites are notorious for selling broken kits or leave out important harnesses, etc.

1. Grab your harness that connects to your foglights. This harness will have one brown female clip, one ground clip, and two clips to connect to your fog lights itself. The first thing you are going to want to do is connect the ground clip to any bolt that makes a metal-metal connection. I connected mine to one of my headlight bolts.

2. Now this is going to be tricky to find, Honda makes it so their cars are ready to have a fog light kit installed. They hide the harness that they have running from your hood, between your firewall, and behind your dash. Were worrying about the one located under your hood though right now. Look towards your windshield wiper fluid reservoir, there should be a small brown male connector hidden down there somewhere. Grab that connector and take the female clip from your fog light harness and connect them.

Great, your first harness is wired, time to move to the switch harness!

3. Remove the knee bolster from your car, there is going to be one phillips head screw in the bottom left corner, one in the top left corner, and another in the bottom right corner. After that you should just be able to pop it right off. If it doesn't come easy, just pry the sides off with a thin flat head screwdriver (don't force it though, you could snap some of the clips lining the edge)

4. Now this connector is going to be VERY tricky to find, grab a very bright flash light because you WILL need it. Look behind your fuse box (literally behind it) you are going to see a bunch of connectors that are wrapped in blue tape that are unused. Look for the brown male connector.

5. Remove that brown connector from its blue tape by gently pulling on it.

6. Take the brown female connector from your switch harness and connect both of them.

7. There are now two brown male connectors in your harness, you are going to notice that on your fusebox, there is a row of unused female connectors. Plug those two brown male connectors from your switch harness into the female connectors I am showing below.

8. Now you need to ground your switch harness, you can bolt the ground down anywhere you really choose. I like to connect mine to the bolt that holds the metal knee bolster up.

9. Now you need to find a place to hold your relay and fuse. People think you NEED to bolt this relay somewhere. I disagree, I just throw mine ontop of the metal knee bolster I pictured above. If it falls or you are uncomfortable with this, then you can just find any bolt to hold it.

10. Pop the blank switch out of the panel where the sunroof switch is (if you have a sunroof) and where the mirror adjustment button is. Pop your new switch in where there blank used to be.

11. Finally, plug the switch connector into the back of the switch.

12. Reinstall your knee bolster, turn your car on, push your switch to see if the fog lights light up. If the switch lights up when you push it, that means your switch is wired correctly. If the lights do not light up then you went wrong somewhere through this process, check to make sure your connectors are secure and your ground is on bare metal-metal.

Here is a picture of my car with the HIDs and the fogs wired up

PART II: CUTTING THE BUMPER (COMING SOON!)

I hope this clears up a lot of confusion for you guys. I apologize if this is a repetitive guide but I have not seen one on this forum anywhere and I know this will help a few people out. If you have any questions or need more pictures I would be glad to help you out, just post here.
Freaking awesome. Wish I'd have found this before I put mine in... I just winged it. I have to replace the units, the arctic chill last winter cracked my lenses. Whee.

Quick Reply: DIY: 99-00 Civic eBay Fog Light Wiring