Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Del sol sh!t the bed...emergency help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Del sol start problems...elecrical...EMERGENCY HELP

I bought a 1994 Del sol off a 16 year old friend. He beat it up, screwed with alot of things, much like any 16 year old kid would. When i got it it was a complete mess. He sold it to me without a deck so i had one installed a local reputable car audio installation place. While they were installing it they asked if they wanted me to remove the car security system that was in it previously because it was unsafe. To make a long story short...

This past weekend I was installing a subwoofer in my sol. I drove it into the heated garage at a friends house (it is 20 degrees here) but i couldnt drive it out. After complete installation i went to turn the key, nothing. Everything in the car was powered, lights, stereo, everything, the battery had a full charge. The car was acting the same way it would as if i were to turn the key without the clutch all the way to the floor. We jump started it and i drove it home. I stuck it on the battery charger at home over night.

Woke up the next morning and same thing. Nothing. Checked every fuse in the car under the dash and under the hood on the left side. I came to find a plug disconnected in the same compartment the fuses are hidden in, and i assume it was the sensor that detects the clutch on the floor, because now when i turn the key to start it turns over.

Now...on the bad side, when i turn the key now to the on position (not start) i dont hear the fuel pump. It will just turn over and turn over and turn over. Tested the electricity at the fuel pump. This is a good thing because it means that the fuel pump isnt getting power rather than it not working. On the same note, Im not getting any spark at the plug nor distributor.

I am absolutely stumped. I have checked every single fuse in the car and i've given you all the symptoms i can think of. To me it sounds like a faulty security system that would cut power from the fuel pump and the plugs, but there isnt a security system in it.

Help me out with anything you possibly can. Anything helps at this point.

Thanks...casey.

Modified by kxking603 at 10:39 AM 11/16/2004
Old 11-15-2004, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del sol **** the bed...emergency help! (kxking603)

Did the shop take out the security? You never said if they took it out or not.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Del sol **** the bed...emergency help! (green00EX)

Yes they did
Old 11-15-2004, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kxking603 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes they did</TD></TR></TABLE>Call em up and tell them whats goin on. Maybe they can point you in the right direction
Old 11-15-2004, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del sol **** the bed...emergency help! (MassScene)

sounds like they didnt loop the starter kill. There should be two wires that need to go together, and that will bypass the starter kill if it is still there.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del sol **** the bed...emergency help! (sohcvtec1995)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohcvtec1995 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds like they didnt loop the starter kill. There should be two wires that need to go together, and that will bypass the starter kill if it is still there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If they didn't bypass the starter kill, how would they have started the car up to leave the audio place?

I don't see what this has to do with a 16 year old screwing things up, as far as I can see you bought a car in working condition, did some work on it, and now it doesn't start. Sounds like your own fault.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del sol **** the bed...emergency help! (Mario BA4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mario BA4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If they didn't bypass the starter kill, how would they have started the car up to leave the audio place? </TD></TR></TABLE>
They could have had the car running for him. ANd they possibly could have pop started it. it was just a thought. Which is better then what you said.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del sol **** the bed...emergency help! (sohcvtec1995)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohcvtec1995 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They could have had the car running for him. ANd they possibly could have pop started it. it was just a thought. Which is better then what you said.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, if that is true, then take that **** back. But if you took it to a semi-decent audio place, I would most likely place the money on it not being their fault.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:44 PM

Could also be the main relay, and this stereo stuff is just a coincidence(sp)..
Old 11-15-2004, 03:49 PM

turn the key to the on position, look at the check engine light and see if it comes on and then goes off after a few seconds. if it doesnt then it is your main relay switch. mine went out and i had the same problems but mine wouldnt even jump start or drop start. it was a 40 dolor part from honda

chris
Old 11-15-2004, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del sol **** the bed...emergency help! (Sleek98)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sleek98 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">turn the key to the on position, look at the check engine light and see if it comes on and then goes off after a few seconds. if it doesnt then it is your main relay switch. mine went out and i had the same problems but mine wouldnt even jump start or drop start. it was a 40 dolor part from honda

chris</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is not entirely true. You can have a faulty main relay and the CEL will turn off like normal.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:18 PM

Sorry i should have been more specific...i had the deck put in professionally about a month ago, this happened just this past weekend. On that note my dad did consult the person that took the security system out, its completely out.

I wasnt trying to say that this happened because i bought it from a 16 year old kid, i just added that to present the condition it was in when i got it, it was a complete mess. Since i have owned it i have been going behind him cleaning up everything that he did wrong.

By the way, We did pop start it and i drove it about 3 miles home, which means the fuel pump was working then...

I just went out and checked, when i turn the key to the on position the check engine light turns on and stays on.

Any help is appreciated... thanks

BY THE WAY I CANT SEND IMs IM A TRIAL USER BUT I WILL STAY ACTIVE TONIGHT
Old 11-15-2004, 04:26 PM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You said the car cranks but wont start... due to no fuel and no spark. Your fuel pump isnt getting power. Go back form there, find out where the wires go that run to the fuel pump. there is a bad fuse or a bad wire or a bad ground someplace. If someone was in that car and messed around with it, who know what could be cut or lose or ghetto rigged. Check EVERYTHING. I used to do car stereo, so ive seen how bad a cars wiring can be. If you trust that stereo shop you had work done at, give them a call back and see if they can check for you if you want.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

normally the engine will still turn over with a bad main relay.
Are you sure you checked the correct wires on the fuel pump? Don't guess at color. I did that with a fuel pump cutoff on a friends car and grabbed the wrong wire....
I would definitely get back under the dash and see what is out of place.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kxking603 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
By the way, We did pop start it and i drove it about 3 miles home, which means the fuel pump was working then...

I just went out and checked, when i turn the key to the on position the check engine light turns on and stays on.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds like main relay. when my main relay on my 91 si was bad, i would have to turn the key to the On position and wait up to 20 minutes sometime for the check engine light to go off.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Del sol **** the bed...emergency help! (sting94112)

Yes i'm positive the fuel pump isnt getting power. I have tested it and also i dont hear it when i turn the key to on.

So you really think its the main relay? How much does it cost to replace? Is it a good start to troubleshooting this problem?

Also, if that doesnt work would you suggest bringing the car to a car audio/security place or to a mechanic? Who would be better and faster at assessing an problem like this that is clearly electrical?
Old 11-15-2004, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All I hear is some guesswork. You think it might be the main relay and are about to shell out some money but, you haven't really tested it. I'm think it's what another guy mentioned. It was working, you messed up the wiring while installing things and now it doesn't work.

Wiring diagram, a meter and some common sense will tell you exactly what's broken.

If you're one of those people who pull a plug wire to test spark, you want to stop. You can pop the ignition by pulling a wire when it's trying to spark. I know 50 people are going to claim that they do it all the time but, these same people forget to mention the ignitor or coil blow out for no reason some time after using this technique. Get a spark tester or use a timing light to test for spark.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The same thing happened to my neighbor... the kill switch in her alarm was on!
Old 11-16-2004, 09:39 AM

Default Re: Del sol **** the bed...emergency help! (MasterKwan)

Yes it is guesswork at this point. I am completely stumped and i dont know a ****'n thing about the electrical system in cars. Remember boss im still an amateur cut me some slack im just looking for some pointers.

Where can i find a wiring diagram?

How do i test the spark for sure at the plugs? I pulled the cap off the distributor end and put a circuit tester on the output. No go.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:52 AM
cool guy name

It could be the simplest thing as a wire thats just grounded out somewhere, the bad thing is that there is alot of wires in the car. Personally I would just go buy a main relay or see if you can borrow one from a friend just to see if yours is bad.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:14 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kxking603 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Any help is appreciated... thanks

</TD></TR></TABLE>

It "should" run a code then, Pull the plug n test the check engine code

If ya dont know how to check the codes.......https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=682412

Also double/triple check ALL fuses

As for the main relay, ask a friend with a honda to pop out
his main relay (pretty easy) and check the numbers to yours
then possibly try it

my .02
Old 11-16-2004, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Del sol **** the bed...emergency help! (EGinNY)

Thanks guys i appreciate it i will update this again if the problem isnt solved with the relay
Old 11-16-2004, 04:38 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kxking603 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks guys i appreciate it i will update this again if the problem isnt solved with the relay
</TD></TR></TABLE>

good luck ... bump for you!
Old 11-16-2004, 05:22 PM

Default Re: Del sol **** the bed...emergency help! (whiteyvr6)

Question, if i were to borrow a main relay from a friend to rule it out, would it have to be from any honda? What years, etcetera. what are the stipulations?
Old 11-16-2004, 06:05 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kxking603 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Question, if i were to borrow a main relay from a friend to rule it out, would it have to be from any honda? What years, etcetera. what are the stipulations?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not sure of exact cars....Just try and find the closest yr. and motor to yours...
My 92 cx hatch fit in my boys 93 prelude, and it worked, turned out to be the
problem.same symptoms your having..

Quick Reply: Del sol sh!t the bed...emergency help!