Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

d15b vs d16z6, differences..

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help, total noob

I have a 94 stock EX coupe with a blown motor. This is just my daily driver to get to work and back, so I'm honestly not too concerned with performance. What I am concerned with is the level of difficulty in swapping the motors and cost.

I found a D15B for $500, just imported jdm motor with ECU, wiring harness, intake, and headers. Now, are these parts enough to do the swap? I still have a lot to research before I actually attempt this, but this seems like a good deal so I might as well have the parts ready.

From what I understand, if I use the D15B, I can use my existing tranny and motor mounts; I will not need to replace any brackets or anything. Is there a difference between the D15B ecu and the D16Z6 ecu? Also, do the two motors use the same clutch, water pump, and belts? What about axles?

Basically, what I'm asking is, if I buy this D15B, can I just swap in the new motor and not change anything else whatsoever? I would buy a D16Z6, but I can't seem to find one around me.. and I would rather not pay to have anything shipped.

Lastly, what kind of tools will I need to perform the swap? Just some basic hand tools, an Impact wrench, torque wrench? What drive size and what sockets? Any extensions? My tools are pretty crappy, so I'll need to buy all new stuff. I plan to rent an engine hoist once it's ready to come out.

I'm totally new to this kind of thing.. the most difficult thing I've done is replacing a starter in my Infiniti G35.. but I'm studying my haynes manual so hopefully I'll be able to do this swap soon.

And.. how long would this swap take for a real beginner?

Thanks H-T!

Modified by cloodle at 10:06 PM 8/5/2008

Modified by cloodle at 9:46 AM 8/6/2008
Old 08-06-2008, 08:46 AM

^
Old 08-06-2008, 08:58 AM

I don't know anything about JDM engines, but I just finished a D16Z6 swap into my 94 LX. I'm not a beginner, but no pro either. It took me about 5 days(after work, few hours here and there), but I was taking my time and making sure I did everything right. And it was my first Honda swap. Knowing what I know now, I could probably do it in 1 or 2 days.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:06 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: (cloodle)

The D15B vtec is pretty much a drop in replacement for D16Z6. Use your old D16Z6 intake manifold though as the D15B lacks a purge solenoid on the back. reuse your ECU, wiring harness and oxygen sensor. You will need some good basic hand tools, the key here is buy quality tools, they don't have to be snap-on, but don't buy something in the 99 cent bin either. Theres nothing more frustrating than trying to work with cheap tools that just don't work. You really don't need an impact, i've done several engine and transmission swaps without an air compressor, that said an impact can make your life a lot easier and now that i have a compressor and a snap-on impact i'd never go back. size wise get sockets and wrenches from 10mm to 21mm and you should be ok, you will also need 12 point 10 and 17mm sockets for the flywheel and pressure plate when removing and installing the clutch. Also you will need a large 32mm? socket for the axle nuts, i've always used an 1 1/4" socket, but i think the metric equivelant is 32mm. You will need extensions, possibly some deep sockets too, breaker bar, that should mostly cover it, i might have left something out but that should get you started. Time wise its hard to say, its not a hard swap though. while your at it put a new water pump and timing belt on before you drop the engine in, order both for a '92 - '95 VX hatchback.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (cloodle)

Well the z6 and d15b are basically the same except one is 1.5 and the other 1.6. Also the d15b has a more aggressive cam. To me the D15B is better than the z6. That's if your refering to the JDM D15B Vtec version. It should be a straight swap. And you can run it on your p28 ecu just make sure you use a 4 wire O2 sensor. And since you already had a Vtec engine you could use your same old harness.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:26 AM

Default Re: please help, total noob (cloodle)

thank you for your advice so far everyone. so anything engine related after the swap, i need to look for eg vx hatch parts? what about the clutch kit?
Old 08-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

All '92-'00 D-series clutches are the same, for all intents and purposes.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:30 PM
Seagull Management

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cloodle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thank you for your advice so far everyone. so anything engine related after the swap, i need to look for eg vx hatch parts? what about the clutch kit?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Theres a list around somewhere, on d-series.org i think that lists parts for the D15B and what US engine/car to order them for. for the block you mostly order VX parts, for the head you mostly order EX/Si parts. The engine is essentially a D16Z6 head from the Si mated to a D15Z1 block from the VX, but with a different crankshaft and pistons than either, it also has a more agressive cam than the D16Z6.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Me and a buddy of mine did my jdm d15b swap in my 92lx sedan about 4 months ago and used the stock harness and i used a p28 ecu we just ran 3 wires from the vtec solenoid to the ecu and we used all the existing mounts and everything else and I used the jdm intake manifold and the car runs fine it took us a day to get it done I love the d15b its a very easy swap
Old 08-08-2008, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the D15b also has the 3 stage vtec
schweet huh?
Old 08-08-2008, 07:59 AM
Seagull Management

Default Re: (nix94delsol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nix94delsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the D15b also has the 3 stage vtec
schweet huh?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats not the one he wants. the 3 stage version is OBD2 and very hard to get an ECU for.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94EG8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94EG8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thats not the one he wants. the 3 stage version is OBD2 and very hard to get an ECU for.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ickk, oh well, you learn something new every day!
just out of curiousity, whats the purpose of the 3 stage?
Old 08-08-2008, 08:24 AM
Seagull Management

Default Re: (nix94delsol)

The first stage is Vtec-E, second stage is normal 16 valve operation and the third stage is regular SOHC vtec. its a pretty neat little engine from what i've been reading, just really hard to get an ECU for. heres a pretty good article on both varations of the D15B vtec, 3 stage is about 2/3 of the way down.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Theres nothing special about dropping in any d-series motor into a civic. Its all bolt in and plug and play. I've got a d15b in my vx civic and it was cake. d15b's are better stock, but d16z6 has aftermarket support for pistons. As the d15b has unique pistons, they have more compression to make up for the 1.5 displacement along with a slightly more aggressive cam.

as far as replacement parts go here

http://www.d-series.org/forums...age=1

Old 08-08-2008, 09:32 PM

alrighty.. everything's on the way! d15b jdm sohc vtec obd1, clutch kit, vx water pump and timing belt kit.

now, i've been reading things like.. having to drill and tap into some vacuum line for the purge solenoid or something.. and also a lot about using a 4-wire o2 sensor and wiring directly to the ecu? are these things i would need to do on my ex?
Old 08-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cloodle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alrighty.. everything's on the way! d15b jdm sohc vtec obd1, clutch kit, vx water pump and timing belt kit.

now, i've been reading things like.. having to drill and tap into some vacuum line for the purge solenoid or something.. and also a lot about using a 4-wire o2 sensor and wiring directly to the ecu? are these things i would need to do on my ex?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The OEM EX O2 sensor is a 4-wire O2 sensor. It doesn't have to be rewired as far as I know...
Old 08-08-2008, 09:50 PM

Default Re: please help, total noob (Syndacate)

great.. sounds good. also, is it difficult to swap intake manifolds? so i can reuse my old one with the purge solenoid..
Old 08-09-2008, 06:54 AM
Seagull Management

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cloodle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">now, i've been reading things like.. having to drill and tap into some vacuum line for the purge solenoid or something..</TD></TR></TABLE>

You have to drill and tap the intake manifold for the purge solenoid if you plan on using it with a Stock EX/Si ECU (P28) if you swap the D16Z6 manifold on you don't have to, it already has the purge solenoid and is the only difference between the 2 manifolds.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cloodle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and also a lot about using a 4-wire o2 sensor and wiring directly to the ecu? are these things i would need to do on my ex?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, The EX already came stock with a 4 wire O2 sensor, simply reuse the original engine harness from the EX as well as the O2 sensor, the EX already has a SOHC Vtec engine so no wiring needs to be done, a lot of people doing this swap are doing on CXs that are SOHC non-vtec and have a 1 wire O2 sensor.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:15 AM

Default Re: please help, total noob (94EG8)

I ended up buying a different motor than the one I mentioned in my original post. It's just the d15b longblock.. no accessory parts or ecu, harness, etc..

So.. with just the P28 stock EX ecu and reusing the D16z6 manifold, will I be okay?

What would happen with the D15B manifold without purge solenoid and P28 ecu? Major problems?
Old 08-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cloodle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I ended up buying a different motor than the one I mentioned in my original post. It's just the d15b longblock.. no accessory parts or ecu, harness, etc..

So.. with just the P28 stock EX ecu and reusing the D16z6 manifold, will I be okay?

What would happen with the D15B manifold without purge solenoid and P28 ecu? Major problems? </TD></TR></TABLE>

You'll be just fine. Reuse all your old parts off of your d16z6. Your gonna need to chip your ECU and put the stock P08(I beleive) maps on there. Trust me when i say the d15b won't run as well as it could with incorrect maps. The motor will run; However, gas milage and power will be reduced.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:58 PM
Seagull Management

Default Re: please help, total noob (95vxtealhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95vxtealhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You'll be just fine. Reuse all your old parts off of your d16z6. Your gonna need to chip your ECU and put the stock P08(I beleive) maps on there. Trust me when i say the d15b won't run as well as it could with incorrect maps. The motor will run; However, gas milage and power will be reduced.</TD></TR></TABLE>

as stated above, reuse everything from your old Z6, yes P08 maps are the ones you want, that said i've been running a virgin P28 for close to a year and it runs fine, doesn't seem to be running rich and i'm getting between 41 - 43MPG combined, yes i used US gallons. It probably would run marginally better chipped but i don't think it would make enough of a difference to justify the cost of chipping it.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:14 PM

well i think ill ***** my D15B real quick...

There great motors youll like.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:55 PM

Default Re: please help, total noob (DirTyPreTTyThinGs)

headers ?

nice
Old 08-11-2008, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my d15b blows ***. i got skunk 23 intake manafold,aem intake,dc headers,apexi vafc,thermal exhaust skunk 2 test pipe and its still slow. is there anyway to tell if i am running low compression bc the guy i bought the car mention something about a supercharger but i dont no if it was on this motor or the motor b4 the swap. how can i tell if i am ready to run boost or is my car just slow bc it only runs a 16.5 in the 1/4mile
Old 08-11-2008, 12:41 PM

loose the skunk2 intake manifold, go back to stock that will help.

Quick Reply: d15b vs d16z6, differences..