Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clutch sinks to the floor, how to bleed it ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch sinks to the floor, how to bleed it ?

I checked my book, but its a Haynes and basically tells you to remove the motor just unbolt it... if youve ever read one you know what im talking about. Well for the clutch bleed it says to fill up the brake fluid container, remove the dust cover, hookup a few inches of hose to the nipple and pump away (basically the same as a brake bleed) is that all there is to it? Do you think thats the problem...

1992 Honda Civic
Old 04-30-2003, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch sinks to the floor, how to bleed it ? (sparq)

With the nipple closed and reseivior full of fluid pump the clutch pedal till it builds pressure, if the pedal doesn't come back up lift it up and keep doing it till u feel pressure, it might take more than 5 minutes of constant pumping. After u have pressure, make some one depress the pedal and then u put the hose on the nipple into a container filled with new fluid and open the nipple(stuff will come out), close the nipple and tell the other person to release the pedal, it probably wont go up, repeat the process around 3 times.
Old 04-30-2003, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no.. how you bleed the clutch is this. find the bleed nipple on the slave cylinder. have someone push the pedal down and hold it, open the bleeder, close the bleeder, have them let off the clutch. do this 2 times and then refil the resivoir. do that cycle about 5 or 6 times and you should be good.
Old 04-30-2003, 08:27 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Clutch sinks to the floor, how to bleed it ? (monicle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by monicle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no.. how you bleed the clutch is this. find the bleed nipple on the slave cylinder. have someone push the pedal down and hold it, open the bleeder, close the bleeder, have them let off the clutch. do this 2 times and then refil the resivoir. do that cycle about 5 or 6 times and you should be good.</TD></TR></TABLE>

good tech!
Old 04-30-2003, 11:12 PM

Default Re: Clutch sinks to the floor, how to bleed it ? (TODAeg6)

Car up on jack stands right?

Like the car has SOME pressure, it comes back up... but you can tell its not right - ive tried pumping it a good 30 times or so and it still wasnt back to normal pressure, ill try pumping it like a mad man for 5 minutes... maybe it will come back...
Old 05-01-2003, 12:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch sinks to the floor, how to bleed it ? (monicle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by monicle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no.. how you bleed the clutch is this. find the bleed nipple on the slave cylinder. have someone push the pedal down and hold it, open the bleeder, close the bleeder, have them let off the clutch. do this 2 times and then refil the resivoir. do that cycle about 5 or 6 times and you should be good.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats just what I told him to do. You should read the whole post before saying what I wrote is wrong. Thats how I bleed my ACT extreme P plate and 6puck and it worked fine.
Old 05-01-2003, 04:30 AM
clm
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch sinks to the floor, how to bleed it ? (leadfoot78)

You guys can do it how you want, but this is how I did mine a couple weeks ago.

Materials: Brake bleeding bottle kit and brake fluid

Process:
1.) Open the clutch fluid resivoure
2.) Take the dust cap off the bleeder and turn it just a 1/4"
3.) Connect bleeding hose
4.) Pump clutch slowly up and down
5.) Fill fluid resivoure when low - don't let air in
6.) Do steps 4 and 5 until new fluid comes through
7.) Steps 3, 2, and 1 reversed

And if you can't find the bleeding nipple (it took me a while to find it and get confirmation from a friend), it's in the front of the transmission and block.
Old 05-01-2003, 07:13 AM

Default Re: Clutch sinks to the floor, how to bleed it ? (clm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by clm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Materials: Brake bleeding bottle kit and brake fluid

Process:
1.) Open the clutch fluid resivoure
2.) Take the dust cap off the bleeder and turn it just a 1/4"
3.) Connect bleeding hose
4.) Pump clutch slowly up and down
5.) Fill fluid resivoure when low - don't let air in
6.) Do steps 4 and 5 until new fluid comes through
7.) Steps 3, 2, and 1 reversed

And if you can't find the bleeding nipple (it took me a while to find it and get confirmation from a friend), it's in the front of the transmission and block.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Just as a heads up. I'm not sure if the brake bleeding kit you got has a one way valve, but in my experience the bleeder should be closed before pumping the clutch. If this isn't done then air could reenter and create more work. IMO. it's open bleeder, push clutch down and hold, close bleeder, then pump, open, push clutch to floor and hold, close, pump (add fluid when level becomes low).

This is a two person operation unless you have a self bleeding kit which allows you to leave the bleeder open.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:11 AM
clm
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch sinks to the floor, how to bleed it ? (g_man80)

That never occured to me. I do have a one-way bleeder kit. Totally worth it, though since it only costs a few dollars from AutoZone.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Clutch sinks to the floor, how to bleed it ? (clm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by clm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That never occured to me. I do have a one-way bleeder kit. Totally worth it, though since it only costs a few dollars from AutoZone.</TD></TR></TABLE>
cool . I keep telling myself to get one of those, but it doesn't occur to me until I have the car on stands and the wheel off.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch sinks to the floor, how to bleed it ? (g_man80)

Yup, I used a "One Man Bleeder Kit" that can be bought at Autozone for $4.99....I bled my lines with it when I did my auto to manual swap and it's working great!!
Old 05-01-2003, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Clutch sinks to the floor, how to bleed it ? (95hbMatt)

Also about air re-entering, couldnt you just fill up the cup with a little fluid first so the hose is under it... just like your supposed to do when you bleed your brakes?
Old 05-01-2003, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sparq &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also about air re-entering, couldnt you just fill up the cup with a little fluid first so the hose is under it... just like your supposed to do when you bleed your brakes?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, exactly! That's what I forgot to add....the kit that I bought came with a little bottle and I just put a little fluid in it till the tube inside was submerged...