Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch disc noise when engaged.

1994 Honda Civic CX
JDM D16A (D16Z6)
Aftermarket generic clutch.

This has been going on now for about 30k miles. First I was okay with it but it is starting to bug me. I tried searching and there is a lot of noise from clutches but it seems like everyone is having throw out bearing problems or pilot bearing problems and well nobody seem like they are experiencing what I am. When I installed the clutch 30k miles ago I greased everything that needs to be greased. I resurfaced the flywheel, I changed out the pilot bearing. I am pretty sure I did everything correct besides one thing; one thing that I feel came back to haunt me. I used a 500lb impact gun to shoot both the flywheel bolts and pressure plate bolts. Everything is working fine up to date, there is no grinds, no slips, pedal has no vibrations. Maybe putting car into 1st gear and switching from 1st to 2nd is a bit rough but the rest of the gear's transition is normal. Only problem I am facing is when at a dead stop and in 1st gear I would let go the pedal to engage the clutch it would make a squealing noise with a combination of maybe rattles. It's very hard to describe. I guess my best explanation is it feels like when the clutch bites and starts to grab onto the flywheel and pressure plate and would maybe slip a bit and make a squealing noise. It would only happen at the start of just when the clutch disc bites; if I let go of the pedal a little bit further the noise would stop and the clutch feels fully engaged. It is hard to take off in my car smoothly. If I try to take off at a dead stop smoothly it would make the noise. I keep thinking could it be my mistake from shooting the bolts in instead of torquing them to spec cause this? I try to imagine the clutch and everything in my head and I do not understand how an overtightened pressure plate can cause a clutch to feel like it's slipping to make a noise when engaging. Maybe I'm not looking at it correctly; thats why I am turning to help from you guys. Thank you and any inputs is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Clutch disc noise when engaged. (lv6l)

how about when you're accelerating?? does it make the noise then?? and when you push the clutch pedal to the floor does it stop?
Old 02-06-2008, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When I accelerate it drives normal with no noise. When I push the clutch pedal to the floor there is no noise; everything sounds and feels normal when I do this. The noise only occurs when I let off the pedal to take off as the clutch disc bites.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lv6l)

hmm, if it was making noise while driving id say it was your input shaft bearing. umm, could be your throwout bearing. if the car isn't your DD and you have time to take it apart id say take it apart and inspect it..but otherwise, its just shooting in the dark guessing at the problem. take it to a GOOD mechanic that you know of, explain the situation, have him/her take it for a ride and see what they say.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It is my daily driving car. But the noise has annoy me to a point that I might just take it apart and double check everything and re-torque the bolts to spec. Well the soonest I can tear down this problem is in a few days. So in the meantime let's see if we can find a solution from other members.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

gl
Old 02-06-2008, 06:24 AM
Reject Papi

Default Re: (Probot)

like the last 3 theads i'm gonna have to agree with probot and say a throw out bearing.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jhammond_82)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jhammond_82 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">like the last 3 theads i'm gonna have to agree with probot and say a throw out bearing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol thanks..might have to sig that one
Old 02-06-2008, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What can be wrong with the throw out bearing to be causing the noise?
Old 02-06-2008, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the bearing could just be bad - even though its a pain in the *** to tear everything apart for a bearing but just to inspect it..it could be something as stupid as that...unless someone has CONCRETE advice that will help, i suggest bringing it to a mechanic you trust (if you're that lucky) and see what they say.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If I do end up tearing it apart, is there a way I can tell if the throw out bearing is bad or not? How would I inspect it? Thanks.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:32 PM

is it a high pitch noise? if so, im leaning towards the throwout bearing also.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Datphan)

i higly doubt that the clutch would make a noise from the flywheel bolts being over torqued, when i worked at my old shop id do clutches like 3 times a week on anything and everything and i always used an impact wrench to get the flywheel bolts sinched down (IR 1000lb.ft. torque impact wrench to b exact), but if its a high pitch squeal i agree probably the throwout bearing, if it was a ticking noise like almost a rod knock sound id say it would b the pilot bearing
Old 02-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

unless the bolts striped or snapped when you hit them with the impact, then i don't expect that to be your problem.

my guess, for the record, your clutch hub springs could have popped out. you know the coil springs in the middle of the clutch that help it ingage smoothly and dampen the whole unit. i've seen these come loose and rattle around especially on a cheap clutch disc.

the only other clutch-related noise i've heard other than throw-out bearings, was in a prelude where some doofus plain didn't tighten the flywheel bolts and the worked loose and rubbed against the disc. it tore up the bolt heads, some of the threads and made the disc look ugly, but if the friction material wasn't worn out we could have reused the clutch. (by the way, in this case it sounded like pennies in a soup can when the clutch was engaged and silent when it was dissegaged)
Old 02-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess I will double check my throw out bearing; what should I be looking for when I inspect the throw out bearing?
Old 02-28-2008, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Off the Florida Keys, in a place called Kokomo, USA

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lv6l &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I guess I will double check my throw out bearing; what should I be looking for when I inspect the throw out bearing?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Bump for you. I'm having the exact same problem.

I was reading through HT and people are saying it's either fluid, throw-out bearing or input bearing.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dont mean to thread jack or anything, but will leaving in a bad throwout bearing cause any adverse effect?
Old 02-29-2008, 07:47 AM

I think you diagnosed it correctly in the title of the thread.

It's probably disc noise. A noise caused by the high friction slippage between metal objects.

I think you either live with it, or change out the disc to a different brand that has a different material composition.