Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Civic starts with jump start but soft kills occurs after

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic starts with jump start but soft kills occurs after

Background Info:
I have a 00 Civic DX with 72k miles and a/t. The car was sitting unused for awhile but after a few months I proceeded to start it and let it run for awhile. One day, after a few weeks of starting it up and letting it idle, the car was started and I drove it for a few moments, the car proceeded to sputter and then shut off. I replaced the battery and the alternator. The car started up with a jump start and it was fine for about a week.

Next, I was driving the car (at night) and I noticed the radio going on and off. The car then proceeded to die. I jump started it and noticed that when the headlights were on, the car lights went dim and when they were off it was fine. I checked the headlight wiring and it was fine. This problem occured two more times.

Finally, one night after the car died I decided to try it in the daytime. I let It idle for a few moments. When I was driving it, the radio started to go on and off (headlights off) then the car sputtered and died again. I noticed while this was happening the speedometer was dropping to zero and then going back up to where it should be.

Straight to the problem:
So my car starts with a jump start, and sometimes it runs for a week or two with no problem, other times it just dies right away (sometimes when driving other times without driving). The alternator and battery are new, all fuses are good. No CELs. What could be the problem? I was doin some research and I suppose it is possible for me to have a bad ICM or main relay, but that does not really explain the need for the jump start. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic starts with jump start but soft kills occurs after

Check all of the grounds and make sure all fuses and relays are snug. Next, take it to a parts store to have the start & charge system checked.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:21 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Civic starts with jump start but soft kills occurs after

bump
Originally Posted by delsolproblems
Check all of the grounds and make sure all fuses and relays are snug. Next, take it to a parts store to have the start & charge system checked.