Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car starting questions for 94 civic

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car starting questions for 94 civic

Got a few questions on why my car won't start. Did a search, but I'm still not sure what is wrong with my car.

First off, whats wrong with my car. Two days ago I tried to start my car and it wouldn't start. If I turn the key in the ignition to start the car, it will crank and turn as long as I hold the key to the start position but the car will not start. I thought it was the battery because its old and hasn't been replaced in about 5 years. I tried to jump start but it still wouldn't start. Tried new battery, still wouldn't start. Yesterday, I took off the distributor cap, cleaned some build up on the metal contacts in the cap, and then tried to start the car again. After about ten seconds??(it was way longer than normal) of holding the key in the start position, the car started but just barely. Gave it a little gas and then it was fine. I let it run a couple of minutes, shut it down and started again without any problems. I drove the car around and let it sit for about 12 hours before starting it again, and it started up fine, no problems.

I didn't notice any dimming of the lights either when I drove home last night. Read a couple of threads that said dimming lights were sign of bad alternator.

Today, tried starting the car again and I have the same problem, engine turns but will not start.

Will engine turn if it is a dead battery? bad alternator? bad distributor? What are symptoms bad battery, alternator, distributor?

I thought that I might not be getting any sparks, but then yesterday the car started?? Don't have tools to check battery for voltage or drains. Oil level is fine, and there is about a quarter of a tank of gas.

Thanks for any help.
Old 02-22-2004, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Car starting questions for 94 civic (RustyDX)

could be a bad main relay. it can cause intermittant fuel pump failure. turn the key to on, and you should be able to hear the fuel pump prime (slight whining sound).

with a bad altenator, your car will still start and run on a good battery, but will die as the battery drains.
Old 02-22-2004, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car starting questions for 94 civic (dantastic)

replace the rotor, and see if that helps.
Old 02-22-2004, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Car starting questions for 94 civic (toolowsol)

do you hear the fuel pump priming?? when you turn th key do you hear a humming noise??
Old 02-22-2004, 05:46 PM

Yes I can hear the fuel pump. Thats the first thing you hear when you turn the key right?

I also checked fuses and the ground cables. All look okay.

It sounds just like a normal start except that it just keeps on turning and no start. If battery is drained, will electronics still work? I can still get lights and radio etc.. to work.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:14 AM

Default Re: (RustyDX)

Anybody else might know what is wrong?