Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

blew motor (huge hole in oil pan)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 06:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blew motor (huge hole in oil pan)

was cruising home last night at 1am doing 110km/h in 5th when all of a sudden boom, car shuts off and the cabin fills with smoke, i pull over to theside of the road and me and my girlfriend get out and theres a huge puddle of oil under my car. I get underneath and look and theres a huge hole in the bottom of my oil pan, i can feel something in the pan when i stick my finger in there moving around. the car wont start now either, now, i also checked the timing belt and its gone. I had the car in the shop 2 weeks ago getting a brand new timing belt and water pump installed and its snapped. This shop better be replacing my motor, my question is if the belt snapped would it send something flying through my pan to put the huge hole in it? I cant believe this happend the car was just in the shop 2 weeks ago being gone over, ridiculous and it only had 170,000k's
Old 09-17-2006, 06:45 AM

Default Re: blew motor (coreyhayman)

that sux man
Old 09-17-2006, 06:54 AM

when the belt snapped could it have tossed something into the pan?
Old 09-17-2006, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes, a ******* rod or a piston, or possibly all hope for tomorrow.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well obviously you threw a rod. You're going to have to pull the whole engine to make sure the block's not fucked up. Either way I'd get it bored and sleeved. What MAY have happend with your timing belt was b/c the rod threw it wedged and jammed up the crank shaft which basically locked the crank gear while it's spinning at whaetver rediculously fast rate and the belt skipped over and got shredded. That's the only way <u> I </u> can draw a connection to throwing a rod like taht. Timing belts going usually result in bent valves, or weak running.

Sorry to hear about that man

Weird though, shouldn't have happend like that. What kind of non OEM (from a different honda) or aftermarket parts do you have on the car (everything)? Miles are rediculously low for throwing a rod like that, and the timing belt deal 2 weeks ago sounds a little fishy IMO.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:38 AM

motor is a completly stock d16y8, yeah it was my friend car and when she got it back from the shop previously after the belt being done it was running shitty and the motor was ticking badly, she took it back and complained that it was running worse then when she took it to them and then now this.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (coreyhayman)

The timing belt and spinng a rod bearing are not related.

More than likely, you're screwed.

Edit:

If the belt snapped, you probably would have been some valves, and that would be about it.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:49 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by coreyhayman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">motor is a completly stock d16y8.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Known for bad oiling and spun rod bearings Sorry man, I don't think the timing belt has anything to do with it, although your friend's issue with it "running crappy" might have been because it was off a tooth or so. Still, that won't blast a rod through the oil pan.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Known for bad oiling and spun rod bearings Sorry man, I don't think the timing belt has anything to do with it, although your friend's issue with it "running crappy" might have been because it was off a tooth or so. Still, that won't blast a rod through the oil pan.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So that's it, eh? I didn't think they had anything to do with each other. Above is the crappy connection of being the only way they could have been related. As it's possible but very very very very unlikely. Oh well, glad to know I wasn't completely out of my mind, I didn't think they were related.

Sorry dude, ur engine is **** fucked.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

So what are you gonna do? complain to who ever changed the timing belt?
Old 09-17-2006, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sux man. About 3 months ago I went to a shop to change my oil (To lazy to do it myself.) So o/change was complete, went home to pick up my lil bro's to take them to football practice. On the way there, I see a big cloud of smoke come out of my exhaust. I was like "wtf." Went home after dropping them off and when I arrived at home, I saw a big puddle of fresh oil in my driveway. All I thought about was "That Fu$$er didn't tighten up the oil pan bolt." Checked the oil pan and saw nothing wrong. So I then picked up the car and saw that the oil was leaking from the oil filter. Removed it and saw two damn seals on it. Effen dumb $hit, forgot to remove the seal. The motor had lost about 3.5 quarts. Didn't go back and talk $hit b/c the guy is my friends, friend. I was lucky that my motor didnt blow.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: blew motor (coreyhayman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by coreyhayman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">was cruising home last night at 1am doing 110km/h in 5th when all of a sudden boom, car shuts off and the cabin fills with smoke, i pull over to theside of the road and me and my girlfriend get out and theres a huge puddle of oil under my car. I get underneath and look and theres a huge hole in the bottom of my oil pan, i can feel something in the pan when i stick my finger in there moving around. the car wont start now either, now, i also checked the timing belt and its gone. I had the car in the shop 2 weeks ago getting a brand new timing belt and water pump installed and its snapped. This shop better be replacing my motor, my question is if the belt snapped would it send something flying through my pan to put the huge hole in it? I cant believe this happend the car was just in the shop 2 weeks ago being gone over, ridiculous and it only had 170,000k's</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you still have the reciepts, i dont see why you couldn't get a new motor in small Claims courts. I NEVER Take my car to a shop just for that reason. All my work is done by ME, swaps, oil changes, timing belts, anything. Anyways i hope you get it taken care of.

-Rob
Old 09-17-2006, 11:11 AM

well the other thing is, she took the car back a second time to them and complained cause it came back with the cel on, and ran shittier then when it first went there. Also they were supposed to check her air filter cause she told them to and they said they did, i took the bumper off cause the cars slammed to get it onto the tow truck and the ******* air filter was clogged and rusted shut pretty much (c.a.i)
Old 09-17-2006, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So the car has obviously been neglected and you're trying to pin a blown motor on the shop?

Good luck.