b16 ek final step wiring

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 01:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post b16 ek final step wiring

2nd b16a/gsr trans swapped into a 98 dx hatch

My problems/questions are
Ive been told everything under the sun when it comes to wiring & I wanted to confirm what needs done. Ive been told I need to do 5 mods & also all I need is to wire in vtec but as I searched & start printing ive run into a few confusing threads.

My current understanding is I need to run 4-5 wires on my stock non vtec harness, but reading more deeply I found that some guys say that if I have a p28 I wont need to do Ivac & knock mod & all I need to do is wire in Vtec...Which is correct? Im using a stock wiring harness, p28 ecu that came with engine & ebay OBD2A to OBD1 wiring harness conversion.

I wont be resuing the AC for awhile but I dont want to hook it all back up & pop CELs, whats the best route for hooking everything back up? Hook it up then remove fuses or leave totally disconnected. I would like my heater to work but Ive forgot exactly how that's done.

I came across a few helpful threads but I couldn't see any of the pictures & other links didn't exist anymore. Thanks in advance
Old 06-09-2014, 02:12 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: b16 ek final step wiring

This is all assuming you are using your DX engine harness

-add one wire for VTEC solenoid to the P28 ECU, and one wire from the pressure switch to the ECU. The other wire coming off the pressure switch can be grounded or tied into a ground
-convert your 3 wire IACV connector to 2 wire
-you'll have extra connectors left over for CKF (3 wire connector by the crank), EVAP purge (2 wire connector by the fuel rail), EVAP on top of the charcoal canister (2 wire connector)
-for your intake air temp sensor (black square connector with one green and one red wire) you'll have to put it into your intake arm OR change the connector style to a round one and plug it into your intake manifold sensor
-if your distributor won't plug and play you'll need an adapter harness
-if your injectors won't plug and play you'll need to do the mod down below on the last picture
-if you alternator won't plug and play you'll need to use an adapter harness OR find an OBD2 b series alternator

VTEC WIRING

IACV WIRING

IAT CONNECTOR

INJECTOR MOD
Old 06-10-2014, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: b16 ek final step wiring

Yes stock Dx harness.
Thanks for that, That's almost everything I needed. Ill be honest, I wasn't prepared enough & didn't label proper when removing the old engine so now Im stuck finding the lesser evil. My current harness on my engine & my car has a few connectors with plastic caps on them. Ive only been able to match up simple things(simple to me) like starter & etc. I am having a bit of trouble getting it all connected properly but I think its more due to being mislead about the engine. Example, I was told it would be almost plug & play, a guy that builds scca cars told me save my cash & do the mods.

I may run into problems as the Ebay harness I bought has a wire in every slot & most a labeled for Honda swaps but theres so much hot glue keeping the wires in I would destroy the adapter trying to do to much to it.

Im starting to think Ive been mislead on the motor or something as not much is matching up the way it should or It also could be I overlooked it in my rush. I was told it was a 2nd gen b16a, then its aka an b16a2 but it doesn't say A2 on the block, plus I found a couple of things done funny to a map sensor on the motor which seems like he tried to by pass something. Not sure if it helps but the motor came out of a del sol after it was order from tigerjap.com