Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 Si alternator and CEL problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 08:42 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Si alternator and CEL problems

i just replaced the alternator on my 99 SI. the car itsself has a new engine in it. When i went to order the part at advanced. i told them i needed the alternator for a 99 si. they had one in stock, so i took it home to put it in to find out it was not the right alternator. I was thinking they messed up so i called them and had them order me another one. for a 99 si. when i went to go get it a the next day it was the wrong one again, so i sat there with them on the computer and finally came to the conclusion that i needed an alternator for the 2000 si and not my 99. (apparently they are different!)

well once i finally got the 2000 alternator back ordered and back home, i went to go put it in, and i found the bottom mounting bracked was not large enough to fit the alternator into. i had to file down the mounting bracket just a tad bit to get the alternator to slide in. once that was done, and the top was mounted and everything else in place i went to start the car up. It fired right up of course but screeched terrible. Thinking it was just a loose belt i slit the alternator forward to give it more tention.

The Second time i started it it did screech at first but went away after about 10 seconds of the car running. I'm not sure if it is compleatly adjusted right yet or if i need a new belt. The belt doesnt look to worn from a visual inspection but when i had the belt off the alternator, the belt did seem to have been misshaped from the normal oval that it should be.

Seeing as how the belt hasnt broken, and the screeching has died down after a good 10 seconds after starting the car i took it for a little test drive down the road. before i left the car was idling high (around 1300-1500) however once i was out on the road and moving the idle was acting very weird it would run fine untill i came to a stop and let it idle. When i did this it would come down to about 1300, then rev up to about 2000 all by itself, and just keep jumping from 1300ish, to about 2000 over and over. It kept doing this all night till i gave up and decided to call it a night.

On the way back my check engine light did come on but it was to late to go to the autozone to have it checked. I'm unsure if this has anything to do with the new alternator that i installed (that may or may not be tightened down correctly, and also may or may not need a new belt) or if all the idle issues are just a freak coincidence i do plan on taking it to have the code read tomorrow, but beyond that i really dont feel like i have the time or means to replace the belt so odds are i'll take it to a mechanic if it turns out to be a problem

I was just curious to see what you guys could make of it all?
Old 01-22-2012, 09:41 PM
EK9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: its one problem after another it seems.....

Check the code yourself
Old 01-22-2012, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If u can't replace a alt belt there's a big issue
Old 01-23-2012, 01:36 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

What was the code? That's pretty weird they have two alternator numbers because Honda has the same part number for both. How did you check tension and how did you tension the belt?
Old 01-23-2012, 01:47 AM
Trial User

Check the code
Make sure the alternator belt is on track with the correct host or else no charge for you
Old 01-23-2012, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 99 Si alternator and CEL problems

1) Click the CEL link in my signature to learn how to pull the CEL codes at home without a code reader.

2) Check whether 7.5A dash fuse 15 is blown.

3) Replace the alternator belt. Not doing so can lead to bigger problems in the near future.

4) There was no need to file down the protruding cylindrical insert of the alternator. It can be made flush by gentle tapping with a hammer. This is a common problem of rebuilt alternators.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:05 PM
Trial User

Default Re: 99 Si alternator and CEL problems

its not a matter of not being able to change the belt, but more of having the time, and space. Living on base in the coast guard does have its limitations....

i didnt have much time today to do anything with it, but i do like that link you have on how to check the codes yourself!, thats pretty cool!

and trust me, i did have to file it down just a tad to get it to fit in there. i tried tapping it in for a long while before i reached for the file! I'll let you guys know whats up when i look into it all a little more! (hopefully tomorrow offers some spare time!)

and thanks for the help so far!