Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 civic ex performance build.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 07:47 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: 94 civic ex performance build.

Greddy turbo manifold, turbo and downpipe.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by waynesumner
what is the best way to remove a broken exaust manifold stud?
vise grips and a torch (oxy acetylene) if you have access to one. or if you don't mind missing one stud like me take an angle grinder to it.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
vise grips and a torch (oxy acetylene) if you have access to one. or if you don't mind missing one stud like me take an angle grinder to it.
i don't mind, im running without one right now but it doesn't look right and its broken off inside so theres no where to grab on to it so ill have to drill it and remove it and go to the junk yard and grab a couple from there.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Greddy turbo manifold, turbo and downpipe.
isn't greddy a top notch brand? and hes selling a whole turbo kit for 200.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

GReddy/TRUST is a huge name in aftermarket performance parts overseas. They normally cater to drift cars and things like that but they're known for good quality work and parts.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:21 PM
The Grumpiest

What's your point?
Old 06-09-2013, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get a greddy turbo kit with front mount intercooler it come with everything you need to to boost that d16z6 perfect for performance, daily driven, and reliability it a bit pricey but you wouldn't have to worry about changing piston or rods, it be nice but not needed.

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 06-09-2013, 12:35 PM
The Grumpiest

It's not pricey because that kit has been discontinued for years. The only way you'll get a hold of one is if someone is selling part or whole.

And a manifold, turbo and downpipe, is NOT a whole kit by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:20 PM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

Start reading the FAQ in the forced induction section, after you really understand how the turbo system works and how all the parts work together then start researching parts. After you understand this then buy your turbo system.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:31 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lol it's definitely not the "whole kit", it's just the three important parts, and the turbo is blown. If I bothered to rebuild it, I could get 600 all day long for the turbo itself. On my Y7, it got a hair of 200 WHP. Should be able to easily get that on a stock bottom end Z6, and get a better powerband with the right tune.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested, I don't want to fill up your thread with my sales.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by doctorake
Start reading the FAQ in the forced induction section, after you really understand how the turbo system works and how all the parts work together then start researching parts. After you understand this then buy your turbo system.
Good point! Do the foundational *reading* research first. Non-referenced word of mouth/pen or keyboard spoon-fed answers while fine to a degree (on any topic for that matter) can only get you so far and are almost always couched in assumed recent agendas, trends and personal preferences that may or may not be accurate or agreeable.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get a swap another; minor mod you can do is strait pipe your exhaust
Old 06-09-2013, 03:50 PM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by big_mack
another minor mod you can do is strait pipe your exhaust
Speaking of uninformed...

What does a straight pipe do for a D-series? Nothing but make it louder. Waste of time.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What's your point?
well now I know the turbo is blown I can see why. my point was if it was the whole kit it would be dirt cheap, still is because I see some cheap turbo kits for 700$+ but now that I read his post I understand. I do know there are other critical parts for a turbo to be complete, but what he is selling is the main parts.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by big_mack
get a swap another; minor mod you can do is strait pipe your exhaust

#1 post of 2013...

best advice ever.......
Old 06-10-2013, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not pricey because that kit has been discontinued for years. The only way you'll get a hold of one is if someone is selling part or whole.

And a manifold, turbo and downpipe, is NOT a whole kit by any stretch of the imagination.
ohhhh! it still pricey alright once in a while i still see them being posted on ebay for 2g brand new and that doesn't even come the intercooler option. sure it discontinued but I'm sure a few ppl got a hold of some kit.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:42 AM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by frost_white_ej1
ohhhh! it still pricey alright once in a while i still see them being posted on ebay for 2g brand new and that doesn't even come the intercooler option. sure it discontinued but I'm sure a few ppl got a hold of some kit.

that's what they went for when they were still widely available
Old 06-10-2013, 05:50 AM
The Grumpiest

The last time I saw a Greddy kit on sale anywhere was years ago. The way you wrote it was as if you could readily find it. It's discontinued. Not available. No longer for sale. No price. Hence, not pricey. I see places like Password have them in their stores but if it's is available, you're a fool to purchase one at the price they are asking.

And there were better kits available like the Edelbrock. It's a good starter if you find it used but I don't even know why you would recommend one new.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:11 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

The Greddy kit, when it was still available, went for ~$2500. That was mani/turbo/dp plus injectors, some shitty FMU, basic piping (no intercooler, straight from turbo to TB), and a CARB sticker. No intercooler was the main downpoint, but the included turbo is basically the best possible match for a 1.6L SOHC for anything except drag racing.

The turbo in the kit easily sells for $500 used, $750+ properly rebuilt. It's a good kit, and served me well. Also for someone willing to do the legwork, it's pretty much the only way to legally boost an EJ6/8 in CA.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:14 AM
The Grumpiest

I'm definitely not knocking it. I'm running the turbo and manifold on my car right now with a K-teller downpipe. Aside from the kit's shortcomings it was tailor made to run on these small displacement engines. Suggesting someone go buy it new is insanity.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The last time I saw a Greddy kit on sale anywhere was years ago. The way you wrote it was as if you could readily find it. It's discontinued. Not available. No longer for sale. No price. Hence, not pricey. I see places like Password have them in their stores but if it's is available, you're a fool to purchase one at the price they are asking.

And there were better kits available like the Edelbrock. It's a good starter if you find it used but I don't even know why you would recommend one new.
op gave a goal and budget and is a newbie i though i just recommended him a user friendly turbo kit that complete bolt on wire up and go even come with instruction manual and a video available if needed. Why i recommended a new one just my way of insurance because who know when you buy use part you could be buying part from the idiot kid who sold you his car but before he sold it to you he peel the **** out of it and post it on YouTube.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:37 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Even including the cost of a rebuild, a DIY turbo kit will, if done correctly, be cheaper and better than any shelf kit. I've explained how to do it numerous times, it's in grumble's sig, and it's in the FAQ's sticky. There's no reason to drop three grand on a kit, when you can spend half that, and get something just as good, then use the other half to get forged internals and make more power than that shelf unit would net you, at the same cost.

It doesn't matter how new you are to cars - if you're looking at a swap, boost, or any combination thereof, you need to spend a LOT of time reading, so you know exactly what you're getting into. Buying a shelf turbo kit, or a complete swap setup won't keep you from needing to know what you're looking at, even if it comes with instructions.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry to thread jack
Originally Posted by jbpnoman
It doesn't matter how new you are to cars - if you're looking at a swap, boost, or any combination thereof, you need to spend a LOT of time reading, so you know exactly what you're getting into. Buying a shelf turbo kit, or a complete swap setup won't keep you from needing to know what you're looking at, even if it comes with instructions.
i never read on anything i just keep it plain and simple and use common sense i was never a high tech guy who is like you have to do this in order to do that, never ask question heck i didn't even know Honda tech exist back in 2006, only had a few friend with intention to go fast, my first swap was done just using a $100 set of craftsman tool and a 3 ton car jack no engine hoist no air compressor only thing that was in my mind was remember how you take it off you put it back the same way, had the whole swap done in 5 hour alone with no problem started right up and ran fine when my buddy came over to help for the weekend they were amazed i had the car done and running, first turbo kit was bought from treadstone on ebay just because it say 500 + hp, order, slap on that turbo kit in 5 hour had the oil pan tapped with the essential part need 255 lb fuel pump rc 650cc saturated injector and hondata s300 with innovate lc1 was told from a uncle with a 1 min lecture that said i need all those part and all i said was ok and trust me i didn't do any reading or research at all i was just looking at pricing and bought which ever make since such as why would i buy 550cc when 650cc were cheaper, didn't have a real tuner but had a buddy who mess with uberdata, and chrome pro, hate hondata lolz just because it was expansive, anyway he agree to play with it just because we were buddy and i got him a case of 24 went and test it out a few highway pull, wideband was looking good gave me a few pointer to how to mess with hondata setting vtec engagement, adding fuel, and launch control, took it to the track with full interior 2 10 sub and my 100lb tool chest in the back because i had no one to watch my tool, was running on 17 with nitto 555 tire and ran 13 all day.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:05 AM
The Grumpiest

Nice story.
So you advocate not reading anything.
You try to make it sound like you just "did it" but when in fact you actually did have resources to draw on, like your uncle and your tuner friend. Without these, I highly doubt you would have been a successful as you're trying to make yourself out to be.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

like your uncle and your tuner friend. Without these, I highly doubt you would have been a successful as you're trying to make yourself out to be.
you sure about that? the story may have sound like that but it was all common sense before them two even come into play. before my uncle lecture me i already knew what to get and before my buddy even mess with the hondata i already had a map, even after the street tune, i ran the basemap that i made well hondata made i just add to it. I'm sorry if i wasn't being all clear and detail on my part of the story but truth is i did just do it, it hard to explain but the fact is it was just luck on my side sure i had resource from picture and them 2 came into play but it wasn't them that made my success.

Quick Reply: 94 civic ex performance build.