Notices
Honda Civic (2016 - Current) 10th Generation Civic Forum Civic / Si / Type-R Discussions

Here is the 10th gen hatchback

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here is the 10th gen hatchback

Here she is, in all of her glory. This will likely be the platform for the Si and the R, though still nothing official from Honda on any details of those models. I will reserve my thoughts on looks until I see it in person. I didn't care for the coupe or the sedan until I saw them in person at the Chicago Auto Show.

Honda Civic Hatchback prototype unmasked

The Civic Hatchback Prototype Is a Preview of the U.S.-Bound Civic Type R

6 Things We Learned About the 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback » AutoGuide.com News

(image from Road and Track)
Old 03-01-2016, 06:51 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Here is the 10th gen hatchback

I was afraid it would turn out wrong, looking like the Euro HB.

It's not too bad. I still don't think it looks good like a Focus (grade A), but perfectly acceptable in the line up. And earn my "can imagine owning one" status.
Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2016, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't find it looks like a hatch... more like a stationwagon

Just give me the Euro Type-R in that version of a hatch and I will be at Honda filling out the paper work!
Old 03-01-2016, 07:39 AM
Old Member

The Civic HB does remind me more of this.

I like it. The Lancer 5 door HB, but it never caught on in the U.S. We asked, and Honda gave us (Civic 5 door hb). Now, let's see how the general public will receive this.
Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2016, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It does look good not going to lie... just I guess I wanted something more hatchie if that makes any sense??? lol
Old 03-01-2016, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My hopes for the Si/R

Si:
Great suspension
Great brakes
de-tuned R engine (think a GSR vs R engine in the DC chassis)
6spd
heavily bolstered seats

R:
All of the goodies from the current R offered in Europe, including aero.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:06 AM
Old Member

I like to see this HB to be EX and higher. Perhaps EX, EX-L and Si. No need for Touring.

On the flip side. I would like to also see a Si sedan and coupe, even if my choice of an Si would be his 5 door HB.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is Honda's complete press release discussing the unveiling on US soil, March 22nd in New York. The press release mentions that further details will be released at that time, and I hope that means Si/R info is part of those details.

Honda Civic Hatchback Prototype to Make North American Debut in New York - Honda.com

The press release also states that the hatchback will be available later this year in the US.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GoLowDrew
I like to see this HB to be EX and higher. Perhaps EX, EX-L and Si. No need for Touring.

On the flip side. I would like to also see a Si sedan and coupe, even if my choice of an Si would be his 5 door HB.
My guess is, the only reason Honda isn't putting the K20C2 into the hatch is because the car is being built in the UK -- Honda has excess capacity there at the moment -- and it makes no sense to release a 2L NA engine for European use nowadays, so they aren't even gonna put in any tooling required for the K20C2 at the UK site. Honda is also making another safe bet by not building the hatch in N.America, since they probably don't anticipate a lot of volume of the hatch for the N.American market.

As such, to coincide with the rest of the trim levels, I wouldn't expect us (ie. those in N.America) to see anything less than an EX trim on the hatch -- at least for now.

Depending on sales figures, however, I'd say Honda could certainly be convinced to start building hatches at Alliston or Indiana if there is a market for it. And if the car were to be built locally (in N.America), we can expect the K20C2 to be stuff into the car as an entry level model as well.

Last edited by Traum; 03-01-2016 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:45 PM
Old Member

Originally Posted by Traum
since they probably don't anticipate a lot of volume of the hatch for the N.American market.
Since this thread is about HB, that's the scary part. If there are not enough takers, it would be wise to cancel it. No matter where it's made, if the demand is not there, it has to go (whether we want it or not).

So if "we" can make an effort to all buy HBs, at least Honda can count on us...

Sure NSX is a low volume car, but it's in no danger. The Civic HB, Si model, and even Type R are in danger from the start. Management is letting the engineers go for now. But soon, the Accountants got to check in and just say No (or cancel something that is bleeding cash).
Old 03-01-2016, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ugh... me and my stupid typing... I hate myself...

In my previous post, I really meant to say that Honda "probably doesn't anticipate a lot of volume of the hatch for the N.American market yet"

For the N.American market, the last Civic hatch that graced our shores was the 2004 EP3. If you were to look for a non-sporty, more mainstream consumer type of Civic hatchback, you'd have to look even further back to the 2000 EK. What I mean to say is, given such a long absence of the Civic hatch, Honda is probably playing it even more cautious than they usually would have -- and let's not forget that Honda is already a very conservative company. They know their Civics sell well, but they probably have a fairly low internal sales target for the hatch at this point. With the excess capacity in Swindon, it makes no sense for them to build the hatch here in N.America, so they are only doing it in Swindon for now.

Ultimately, I think their longer term goal is to produce the hatchback in N.America as well. IIRC, the Ohio engine plant is already building 3 turbo engines for Honda -- we know the Type R's 2.0T is being built there, and it make sense that the Civic Si's detuned 2.0T and the L15B7 are also built there as well. We also know the Type R and Si are going to be sold here in N.America. So it seems extremely stupid to me that Honda is building the engines in Ohio, ship them all over to Swindon, only to have the finished product (the hatchback version) shipped back to N.America. Assuming that the initial sales figures support it, production of the hatch is going to get transferred back to the N.American plants.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I like the Civic hatchback. It reminds me of a smaller version of the Ford Focus hatchback my brother drives. His looks a little more bulky in the hatch area.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:47 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

it does remind of the ralliart a bit from the side. but its also reminding me of how the ugly crosstour was.
Old 03-19-2016, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
it does remind of the ralliart a bit from the side. but its also reminding me of how the ugly crosstour was.
so true!
Old 03-20-2016, 06:36 PM
Fish Twig

I compared it to the subbie wrx wagon, 2011 model, almost similar from the side view.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks more like a notchback than a hatchback.
But it does catch your attention.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They killed me on it with the big goofy fake vents on front and back. Other than that, it's okay.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:46 PM
Old Member

It's the Lambo inspiration (no joke). Inspiration for the Civic came from the Hurancan.

We want sporty look. We got it.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess I'm just different, because I think most of those high end cars are ugly too. Fast is cool, but...
Old 10-18-2016, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This transporter caught my eye.These should be hitting dealerships real soon. Interestingly this truck has not moved for 2 days in Northern IN. Initial impressions are positive. It looks better to me in person verses photos(same goes for GTR,RCF). It's bigger than I thought it would be. The blue, white and grey ones are sport models. Hopefully this 1.5 turbo can be "tuned" to make decent HP.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:07 AM
Fish Twig

Well **** man....pull a fast and furious brah. Hijack that ****!!!
Old 10-24-2016, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks real cool too. I like the new sedan as well.
Thankfully Honda decided to keep the styling of civic separate from the Accord, thus maintaining its individuality. The same cannot be said about Acura and many other upscale brands such as Audi, Mercedes, etc.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:57 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 4holer

This transporter caught my eye.These should be hitting dealerships real soon. Interestingly this truck has not moved for 2 days in Northern IN. Initial impressions are positive. It looks better to me in person verses photos(same goes for GTR,RCF). It's bigger than I thought it would be. The blue, white and grey ones are sport models. Hopefully this 1.5 turbo can be "tuned" to make decent HP.

After showing my wife this, she initially grinned with approval, saw the vehicle sticker with the dreaded letters CVT AUTOMATIC, and said (with an immediate scowl).. "Soooo, is it coming in a 6-speed manual? If not, honey, we'll find something else."....

Ahh.. I love being married.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Feel fortunate your wife knows cvt trannies do not enhance the driving experience. The std tranny is the 6 speed manual. Lower msrp too!
Old 10-25-2016, 09:05 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 4holer
Feel fortunate your wife knows cvt trannies do not enhance the driving experience. The std tranny is the 6 speed manual. Lower msrp too!
Yes, thank you, I feel extremely fortunate that she knows the difference. In fact, she's a HORRIBLE driver in an automatic.

From what I'm seeing from car manufacturers nowadays is that manual trans prices are now increasing .

Quick Reply: Here is the 10th gen hatchback