Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

I just bought a 2010 Civic Si Coupe, how bad is theft?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just bought a 2010 Civic Si Coupe, how bad is theft?

Before I bought the car I looked around a little bit and it looked like they weren't getting stolen but now I search around on here and it looks like they ARE getting stolen a little bit.

I don't intend on modifying it any time soon (if anything I would get an HID kit and maybe some HFP springs but that's it), which I think will help keep thieves away. I was also thinking of taking off the Si and DOHC/VTEC stickers.

Anyway, just wanted to share a pic of the new car and see what you guys think of theft rates. Thanks!

Crummy cell phone pic in bad weather, sorry, only opportunity to take a pic since yesterday when I got it!

Old 01-25-2010, 05:05 PM
New User

Default Re: I just bought a 2010 Civic Si Coupe, how bad is theft?

r u leasing the car? also is white better than black in person?
Old 01-25-2010, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bluestars562
r u leasing the car? also is white better than black in person?
Purchased @ $400 below invoice.

White looks great in person but almost sticks out more than red, kinda wishing I had gotten the Polished Metal Metallic (which looks 100x better in person than the Honda website would indicate) but I'm going to love summer time when my car isn't retarded hot.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

give it a few years.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by i-VTEC_DOHC
give it a few years.
I've heard people say that and wondered why... as a thief I'd rather steal something newer. Or is it a technology issue? I've heard something about a certain combo with the parking brake disabling the immobilizer.

Anyway, not worried at all about parking at home, my roommate parks behind me in a single file driveway with walls on both sides and at work I can see my car. It's at the gym/mall/movies/etc that I'm worried about.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well as the years pass and cars get newer, people have to find new ways to steal it, so thats why you have to give it time. and the laser cut keys are giving thieves some trouble. the si's dont have a parking brake. we have emergency brakes that have nothing to do with the immobilizer.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by i-VTEC_DOHC
well as the years pass and cars get newer, people have to find new ways to steal it, so thats why you have to give it time. and the laser cut keys are giving thieves some trouble. the si's dont have a parking brake. we have emergency brakes that have nothing to do with the immobilizer.
I can't remember where I saw it but I've seen it a few places... somebody saying that each car has a unique pattern of pulls on the parking/emergency brake that will disable the immobilizer. If you get the vehicle VIN and know somebody who works at a dealership you can find out what the unique combo to your car is.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 90gs
I can't remember where I saw it but I've seen it a few places... somebody saying that each car has a unique pattern of pulls on the parking/emergency brake that will disable the immobilizer. If you get the vehicle VIN and know somebody who works at a dealership you can find out what the unique combo to your car is.
sounds similar to the "universal key" that some people say exist . i wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

IMO, there are plenty of RSX k20's to get snatched up before they start targeting our motor. besides that, drive by wire = a hurdle they will have to over come (but don't expect that one to take too long)
Old 01-26-2010, 03:47 AM
ZMX
Honda-Tech Member

Almost no one steals a car and just drives it. They're parted out and sold.

Older cars are stolen more often because there's a larger market for their parts.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I definitely feel more comfortable with my 09 SI with laser-cut key and immobilizer than I did with my eg and dc2's that were both stolen...
Old 01-26-2010, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ZMX

Older cars are stolen more often because there's a larger market for their parts.
This is on the 5th model year
Old 01-26-2010, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have insurance? I do, and it keeps me from worrying about **** like this. Nothing I really do can prevent it. If thieves want your car, they will get it. I use to be paranoid about these things but it got me nothing except shorter fingernails. Just make sure you are caught up with insurance payments and purchase the GAP insurance, if you haven't already.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Road House

Originally Posted by vladd
sounds similar to the "universal key" that some people say exist . i wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
They do exist, or at least, did exist, prior to the technology of keys today, with the transponders, and immobilizers, and what-not.

Its single-handedly why the '97 Civic and Accord were stolen so frequently. Thieves could just walk up, get in, and drive away.

The SI is also still somewhat of an expensive car. Most cars get stolen to commit crimes, not to be used for parts. When the value of 06+ Civics drop, there will be more of them in lower-class (read: high-crime) areas, and theft will go on the rise.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2008fijibluesi
Do you have insurance? I do, and it keeps me from worrying about **** like this. Nothing I really do can prevent it. If thieves want your car, they will get it. I use to be paranoid about these things but it got me nothing except shorter fingernails. Just make sure you are caught up with insurance payments and purchase the GAP insurance, if you haven't already.
I have full coverage and GAP purchased through Honda.

I've been told that GAP through your car insurance is a good way to get screwed. The insurance adjustor is the one trying to give you as little as possible in the case of a claim (accident, theft, etc), while Honda (i.e. the one with my loan) is the one who wants to make sure the loan is satisfied.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

IDK how that would make any sense. Either way, the full value of the car (and amount you owe) would need to be covered. If your insurance gives you $17 for the car, and you owe $12,000, GAP insurance would still have to pay the $11,983 GAP whether it was from an insurance company or Honda. Regardless, I got my GAP through Honda also.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ZMX

Yupppp.. And in some year's we'll be in the same boat as the SIR..
Old 01-26-2010, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

With the new programmed keys, there is no universal key as mentioned before. So how most people steal new cars is using tow trucks, like the repo people use. Other then that, there is no way of driving the car off.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ben850
IMO, there are plenty of RSX k20's to get snatched up before they start targeting our motor. besides that, drive by wire = a hurdle they will have to over come (but don't expect that one to take too long)
dbw is not a hurdle for stealing a car; it makes no difference in the difficulty of stealing. however, i think it IS a reason why the si is targeted less. to put an si motor into an older honda you have to switch out the throttle body and whatever else to convert the motor to a cable throttle, while rsx motors don't require the extra work/$.

Originally Posted by FijiBlueFG2
They do exist, or at least, did exist, prior to the technology of keys today, with the transponders, and immobilizers, and what-not.

Its single-handedly why the '97 Civic and Accord were stolen so frequently. Thieves could just walk up, get in, and drive away.

The SI is also still somewhat of an expensive car. Most cars get stolen to commit crimes, not to be used for parts. When the value of 06+ Civics drop, there will be more of them in lower-class (read: high-crime) areas, and theft will go on the rise.
i have yet to see proof of this magical universal key existing. the reason why 90's hondas were stolen so often is because it takes literally 2 minutes from standing outside the car to driving away, with no keys required.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BatuKing
With the new programmed keys, there is no universal key as mentioned before. So how most people steal new cars is using tow trucks, like the repo people use. Other then that, there is no way of driving the car off.
i'm willing to bet you could steal an si without using a tow truck, i've just never tested my theory
Old 01-27-2010, 11:52 AM
New User

I just had my '07 Black 2-Door Si stolen on New Year’s Day. Like someone else on this forum mentioned, the thing for me is that an '07 is now in higher demand for parts.

No broken glass, cops suspect a tow vehicle. I'm finalizing my insurance payout and have my dealer ready with a 2010 Black 4 door. I was on the fence, but I'll have to wait a long time if I want the 2 door again, plus I was attracted to the extra head room in the back, and the folding mirrors (I had to replace my driver side mirror 3 times, I live in Queens).
Old 01-27-2010, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ there you have it guys.. beat the **** out of your motor before it's too late!
Old 01-27-2010, 07:54 PM
NO MERCY!

So why couldn't you have asked this question BEFORE you bought the car?
Old 01-29-2010, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RICO_
So why couldn't you have asked this question BEFORE you bought the car?
It wasn't the breaking point, just curious.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by 90gs
Before I bought the car I looked around a little bit and it looked like they weren't getting stolen but now I search around on here and it looks like they ARE getting stolen a little bit.

I don't intend on modifying it any time soon (if anything I would get an HID kit and maybe some HFP springs but that's it), which I think will help keep thieves away. I was also thinking of taking off the Si and DOHC/VTEC stickers.
Might as well take off the fogs, wing, wheels, exhaust tip while your at it....Your new civc isn't going anywhere. My 99' hatch got stolen from my driveway, and i now could care less about my 07' Si.

Quick Reply: I just bought a 2010 Civic Si Coupe, how bad is theft?