Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

***OFFICIAL FA1/FG1 Performance Thread [EX/LX/LX-S/DX]***

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Westminster/Huntington Beach/Seal Beach, CA, United States
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: R18 performance (irnhyd889)

I haven't been able to find the valve cover either. I've looked several times.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: R18 performance (a1staecksauce)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by a1staecksauce &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I haven't been able to find the valve cover either. I've looked several times.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This doesn't look like a valve cover really, but do you think this is what they meant?

http://www.japanparts.com/db/p...lkey=

Modified by IT GUY at 1:32 AM 7/13/2008
Old 07-12-2008, 11:11 PM

Default Re: R18 performance (IT GUY)

OMFG U R HERO!!!!!! i liek that, looks pretty cool. and yeh it's it, it says R18, TY SIR! i should've looked harder!
Old 07-16-2008, 09:32 AM

http://www.corsportusa.com/sto...age=2
this might do us some justice i think
Old 07-16-2008, 11:09 PM

Location: In Diamond Bar, CA Brake Boosting like a Mother Focker!
Default Re: R18 performance (ivtecnfg2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ivtecnfg2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude i didnt run 16.388 with the chip that was without(lol)
but ne wayz why do i have to dyno my car because i baught a cheap *** chip and did a poorman ice box on a ex lets be forreal these itty bitty mods i have done dont require a dyno. i can see if we were talkin bout spray or turbo(dynos all day) what a waste of money to put, what? 30hp on a car and dyno it??? and plus the chip is electrical of course its going to do some electrical tuning to the car that requires you to kno how many strands of hair in a horses pony tail. the chip makes your car run a little lean and a little rich at the same tyme. and anybod in this thread thats a car guy should know that more fuel dumping in your car while make the car faster hands down dude. and there kno type of physical occular proof that the chip is working or on while looking at it. that why i kno how my car felt when i first had it and now theres a hella lot difference. and u still getting the word HANG confused with neck to neck. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Laugh my mother [freak]ing *** off!!!

20 HP lol, r18's keeping up with Si's lol even harder. Thats the most cokamamy story i have ever heard in my life. down herr in the south, we dont put turbos in our car, we dont need them we got ebay chips that give 20 hp and allow us to keep up with cars that are literaly 10x faster lmao.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:26 AM

Default Re: R18 performance (100miles+)

hehe, BTW has anyone ever tried those clutchmaster kits? just wanted to kno if there were problems or not with them. seems no1 likes to give out info anymore =\
Old 07-17-2008, 03:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: R18 performance (100miles+)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 100miles+ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Laugh my mother [freak]ing *** off!!!

20 HP lol, r18's keeping up with Si's lol even harder. Thats the most cokamamy story i have ever heard in my life. down herr in the south, we dont put turbos in our car, we dont need them we got ebay chips that give 20 hp and allow us to keep up with cars that are literaly 10x faster lmao.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you don't have any helpful information, go find another thread. Thanks.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:17 AM

Default Re: R18 performance (IT GUY)

iight i got u
Old 07-17-2008, 11:40 AM

oh yeah the K&N drop in filters help to, plus once u buy one u never have to replace it. mines was $54.00. addin to that i shaved the inside of my stock air box, all in all quicker trottle response..
Old 07-20-2008, 10:40 AM

umm i was wondering has anyone installed a turbo on the R18 without the greddy emanage or other tuning options and would a internal wastegate set at 7psi and a boost controler be smart without the other tuning options? Im going to a couple machine shops to see if they can use my cast iron manifold and convert the end of it into a t3t4 flange. what would you all suggest besides a K20 swap lol? thanks..
Old 07-20-2008, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Seriously, why would you even consider that? I wouldn't even put the Comptech, Greddy or Jackson Racing units on my car let alone any forced induction system without being able to <U>tune</U> the AFR. It's just plain retarded to add forced induction without being able to at least do the AFR.

I recall when I was into Cavaliers back in 99-00 and everyone who was slapping on turbo kits didn't have tuning hardware and increasing the boost. They all came back crying when their ish detonated, or because the AFR was off their pistons went oval and the engine seized up.

Most attributed it to cheap GM crap. Up until the Ecotec debuted, the 2 engines available in the Cavalier had cast iron crankshaft and connecting rods. While the motors (of those years) are inferior compared to Honda and import engines, they would have done just fine with moderate boost setting and a good AFR tune.

Even if these events don't occur the AFR will be increased or decreased. That alone can cause ill effects that will sideline your engine over time.

If the engine goes lean (even a little bit) the heat caused by this will cook the oil on the cylinders walls and piston rings causing them to score the cylinders. This will cause a loss in compression over time and let fuel get down into the oil diluting it and reducing the viscosity of the oil further. The pistons can also expand slightly reducing piston to cylinder wall tolerances.

If the engine goes rich the excess fuel will wash ring lands and the rings will score the cylinder walls reducing compression and letting fuel to get into the oil breaking it down and reducing the viscosity.

It all boils down to premature engine wear and opening up the potential for detonation.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ivtecnfg2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what would you all suggest besides a K20 swap?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Will you listen and accept the advice? The problem is that I have seen youth's in the past such as yourself in the same situation. They have a nice car and are in a rush to make it go fast. More often than not they have just enough to make the payment and pay some bills and they have about $100-$200 a month in discretionary funds.

I recommend you do the most common bolt on's and wheel, tire and suspension upgrades. I think you should save your money toward something between 1992-2000, perhaps a Civic Hatchback. Keep your daily driver simple, it's your bread and butter vehicle. Should something happen to it you would have to worry about getting around and going to work.

Additionally, when its time to sell or trade your daily driver you won't have to worry about piecing the car out or being low balled or be concerned about the dealer trying to give you less because it's been "modified" or "raced." A stock car. or a close to stock car will sell faster and you will be able to market your vehicle to broader buyers market. Whereas if its all tricked out and souped up the only people interested in buying it will be people such as yourself.

Good luck in your decision.

Modified by Kidnkorner at 3:21 PM 7/20/2008
Old 07-20-2008, 07:52 PM

Default Re: R18 performance (Kidnkorner)

thanks for the info KID... just lie u sayd we youngns only have enough for the car note with little lef over so another car would be a pain in the neck considering insurance for it lol. but ima keep kool and take your advice patience is everything..
Old 07-21-2008, 06:30 PM

is my r18a1 a vtec??? cuz idk nothing about the new cars, i have a 2008 lx civic coupe
Old 07-21-2008, 09:26 PM
K5^
Brand New

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: R18 performance (jdmp00ky)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmp00ky &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is my r18a1 a vtec??? cuz idk nothing about the new cars, i have a 2008 lx civic coupe</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm pretty sure they are, considering it says so on their valve covers. Aren't they i-vtec sohc?
Old 07-21-2008, 09:35 PM

Default Re: R18 performance (K5^)

i have seen it in other cars but in my car it just says honda, on top of the valve cover.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes, pretty much every honda engine has i-vtec now. the r18 has sohc i-vtec, but it is programmed for economy not performance like in the k20.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:58 AM

wats the difference with the i-vtec and the normal vtec that we see in other models if u understand wat i mean??? ( b series vtec, r series I-vtec k series i vtec d series vtec )
Old 07-22-2008, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

here you go, these will do a better job of explaining than me.

http://asia.vtec.net/article/ivtec/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...lated

Old 07-22-2008, 03:55 PM

that information u have posted is very very very specific thank u, it was a very good article.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no problem. I found it interesting myself.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:48 PM

to ivtecfg2

Uhhh.....I registered here with the sole purpose to ask you this one question.
Why does your username say fg2 but your signature says fg1...???....lolz

I have on 07 EX. There's no way you got 20hp from a shitty ebay ohms resistor (chip).
And dont even say you can hang with a stock Si. You need the turbo kit if you wanna "hang" with an Si. And your sig is re-goddamn-diculous....lolz. "potential of a S2000." .....you mad?......you would need the turbo kit and a 50 shot of nos just to have the "potential" of a 240hp S2K.....

wassup folks.....i'm the new newblar....lolz

Modified by sgtmorph at 7:54 PM 7/22/2008
Old 07-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sgtmorph)

hang - able to match ones' strength, endurance, stamina or intelligence. etc etc
Old 07-22-2008, 08:33 PM

Default Re: (sgtmorph)

the reason my username says it is because i was going to get an si but i sayd itll put me behind. nah not mad at all. im just coolin around it seems ur gettn mad. its just a sig so calm down big guy lol
Old 07-22-2008, 08:45 PM

Default Re: (ivtecnfg2)

and does God and damn supposed to be in the same sentence??? just really muthafukn curious
Old 07-22-2008, 09:03 PM

r18a1, i just g ot one and it seems very decent running, i drove a fg2 si before and gosh that crap is really fast, i had a b20/vtec built up and i was right next to one and beat him for half a car against a stock car. and i raced a hatcback with a r18a1 swap (might sound ridiculous but is true) the guy kept up in first and second gear sicne the gears in those type of trannys are long.

Quick Reply: ***OFFICIAL FA1/FG1 Performance Thread [EX/LX/LX-S/DX]***