Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Automatic engine into a Manual car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Automatic engine into a Manual car?

Hey all,
I know this is a dumb question but in Dec I hydrolocked my 2005 Honda Civic LX engine and destroyed it. Had to get a whole new engine. My mechanic told me he put a automatic engine into it and it should be fine. Well, it runs well but I have the P0401 error code pop up on my computer (insufficient egr flow). Mechanic said it's usually the egr valve so I replaced that and I get the error code 1/2 hr after I install it. still getting very good mpg and nothing seems to be running rough. Could it be something to do with the automatic engine swap I did or could it be something else? My mechanic also took apart the intake manifold to make sure everything looked ok there and it was and he says he doesn't know what else he can do because everything looks fine and it should work, which is why it makes me think that it could be the automatic engine being swapped out for the ruined manual engine. Please help. I'm going crazy and inspection is next month.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:04 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Automatic engine into a Manual car?

Originally Posted by DavidDand
Hey all,
I know this is a dumb question but in Dec I hydrolocked my 2005 Honda Civic LX engine and destroyed it. Had to get a whole new engine. My mechanic told me he put a automatic engine into it and it should be fine. Well, it runs well but I have the P0401 error code pop up on my computer (insufficient egr flow). Mechanic said it's usually the egr valve so I replaced that and I get the error code 1/2 hr after I install it. still getting very good mpg and nothing seems to be running rough. Could it be something to do with the automatic engine swap I did or could it be something else? My mechanic also took apart the intake manifold to make sure everything looked ok there and it was and he says he doesn't know what else he can do because everything looks fine and it should work, which is why it makes me think that it could be the automatic engine being swapped out for the ruined manual engine. Please help. I'm going crazy and inspection is next month.

nothing to with the automatic engine, engine is an engine, just different transmissions. EGR flow code? there is a EGR position senor right on top of the egr. have to checked that or replaced it? make sure all the pins in the electrical connector are good. maybe doing engine replaced they wires got pulled and making a bad connection. but i would start from the egr position senor and go from there. pm me if you need more help
Old 02-26-2012, 09:57 PM
Plead da Fif

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by vtech0010
pm me if you need more help
Would it not be better if the tips and resolution were posted publicly where people could see it and use it? (if need be)
Old 02-27-2012, 11:45 AM
Trial User

tried to PM you but sent it the wrong person. But I checked the connections and everything seems fine. No rust, no loose wires, everything seems right there. I replaced the whole EGR valve already. could it still be the sensor? Where should I go from here?
Old 02-27-2012, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know the TPS sensor on automatics and manuals are different, but I can't see that affecting the EGR.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

insufficient lift codes are typically the egr valve.
insufficient flow is a port blockage, still have your ruined manifold / egr port? try swapping those onto the "new" engine