Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Acura 1.7EL (Honda Civic) D17A2 - very weird intermitent problem and no CEL

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 08:58 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Acura 1.7EL (Honda Civic) D17A2 - very weird intermitent problem and no CEL

So I still cant seem to find the problem with my honda (acura).
I got a 2001 Acura 1.7EL (D17A2 Vtec). All OEM... not even a cold air intake or exhaust.
I'll try to describe the problem the best I can.
So... there's actually like 3ish problems, and they're all sorta related and the same thing.
Before you ask... it doesnt pop any CEL. the only CEL I have is like a canister evap thing... no big deal there.
1st symptom: Sometimes I start the car in the morning, let it warm up, and out of nowhere, the car will shut down. Not really any warning or anything, its just like I would have turned the key off. I'll restart it, its gonna run a little rough but then it will get fine.
2nd symptom: If I take the car for a drive, and like stop somewhere for a good 15-20mins enough for the engine to cool down a little, when I start the car and start going, the car will search to stall, buck and run like crap for a good 15-20 seconds. BUT, if I open the throttle all the way (WOT) then the engine will pull and do its job. If I let it idle when its going that, its gonna burp, run rough and all but not enough to turn off. After a couple seconds tho, everything is fine.
3rd symptom: Some days its gonna run rougher than some other days, but I mostly blame the cold for that because most of the warm days the engine runs and I cant even feel it. When its cold I have heater on, heated seats, defrost, etc... so...its not really a symptom but its still a little weird how rough it runs sometimes and then suddenly smooth.
4th symptom: This one is a bit more recent.... sometimes I take the car for the first time of the day. Its gonna drive fine for the first couple seconds/minutes then lets say I stop at a light or something, its gonna start doing the same as 2nd symptom. Its gonna run rough, hesitate unless WOT, etc...for about 10-20secs. Sometimes I'll just press the clutch and rev the engine to redline 2-3 times and it will fix it.
Soooo..... here's what i've done so far to try to fix/find the problem::
New sparkplugs - inspect coils.
Injector cleaner, water remover, supreme gas once or twice.
Look at air filter, vaccum leaks, disconnected sensors, etc..
I redid the grounds and positives.
I cleaned and finally replaced the MAP sensor.
I cleaned IAC valve, throttle body, Vtec solenoid, EGR, etc.
Thermostat has been replace cause it was leaking but its not really related. Tho its still leaking somewhere >_>
I looked at pretty much everything around when I inspected the timing belt, considering that I had to remove everything on top to access it.
It doesnt show any CEL when the problem happens.
Only CELs I have is a Evap canister one (cant remember the code).
It showed me a p0132 the other day about O2 sensor high voltage bank1 sensor1... so the one at the header... but its also the one I had to unplug to play around the T-stat so maybe its just a fault on my side for not replugging it well or something. CEL hasnt come back yet.
I also cheked the Voltages of my O2 sensor with my obd2 reader live datas and all seems fine.
Eventually, what I wanna do:
empty my CAT maybe...?
replace o2 sensors...?
maybe replacing the TPS (throttle position sensor)...?
I dont really know where to look anymore... other than that the car runs fine and pull like its brand new.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Acura 1.7EL (Honda Civic) D17A2 - very weird intermitent problem and no CEL

What did the spark plugs look like? Also, check fuel pressure. It should be around 40-45 PSI.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:55 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Acura 1.7EL (Honda Civic) D17A2 - very weird intermitent problem and no CEL

Originally Posted by lazlong
What did the spark plugs look like? Also, check fuel pressure. It should be around 40-45 PSI.

Plugs are brand new, good gap and color is fine too..

As for fuel pressure I'll have to borrow a gauge but considering its intermitent problem im not too sure its fuel related but its indeed something I still need to look at.

I replaced the throttle body today with another TPS too. got it free in a junkyard so was worth a try.
Problem came back so... i dont suspect my TPS or MAP sensors really anymore.

I noticed my coolant leak seems to be coming by the whole coolant module that bolt into the head.... maybe its making a bad EGR leak or something?

I'm getting pretty tired of this car.... so far one of the weirdest and worst car I've had...

If only it could pop up a good CEL :-/
Old 03-28-2015, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by da-fox
Plugs are brand new, good gap and color is fine too.
Seriously? Why would I ask about the new plugs?

Also, did you re-check your timing?
Old 03-29-2015, 03:44 PM
Trial User

Update: Sold the car and went back with Mazda.
Not my problem anymore