Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

2005 Civic losing coolent

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 05:07 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 2005 Civic losing coolent

I am loosing about a quart of coolent every month. I haven't been able to resolve.
Other than that the car has been working fine. No leaks on the floor.
Any suggestions?
Old 12-03-2016, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 2005 Civic loosing coolent

Pressure test the cooling system. If you have a leak, it won't hold pressure.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would say a quart a month is quite a bit. If you can find no evidence of leak somewhere., soggy carpet inside usually indicates a leak in the heater core. Most common is a leaking water pump......which indicates a pump seal going bad.. Only other alternative is leaking into a cylinder and going out the exhaust. If a leak into a cylinder is large enough and you are still running the motor......a super clean , very white looking spark plug tip will be found. in the leaking cylinder or cylinders.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There are many things that could cause this. I've listed a few below. You might check out the STICKY on overheating/coolant loss for additional steps. Is it overheating?

1. Check your oil. If it's milky you are losing coolant into the engine oil. That's usually caused by a bad head gasket or, less likely, a crack in the block.. These engines are prone to head gasket failures. I have replaced 2 since my son bought his 4 years ago.
2. Is white smoke coming out the tailpipe? Could also be a head gasket issue.
3. Bad heater core. Pray its not this!!!! if your carpet is soggy, as bandit67 said, then it's your heater core. But like I said...PRAY TO A HIGHER POWER THAT IT ISN'T THIS!!!!
4. Check your overflow reservoir. Is it at the proper level? If its full you have an issue.
5. Check every nook and cranny on the left side of the head by the Evap solenoid. Sometimes leaks develop in that area and aren't easily spotted.

That's about all I can think of now. Like I said, there is a STICKY note on the cooling system. Check it out for some awesome information. You'll learn a lot. Good Luck!!!
Old 12-15-2016, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure you get all the air out of the system. It's not hard to do but it is VERY time consuming. One trick I was told was to remove the temp sensor at the top of the thermostat housing while filling the radiator (with the engine off). It's the highest point where you can bleed the system. Make sure you use a funnel to fill the radiator also. If you can afford it, buy a Lisle funnel. They are specifically designed to fill/bleed radiators. They cost about $25, but well worth it!!! After you've filled it and have a steady stream of coolant coming out the hole of the sensor, screw the sensor back in and hook up the electrical connector. Then fire up the engine, let it get to normal operating temp and keep putting coolant into the funnel. Air bubbles will keep coming out, You can help the process by squeezing the upper and lower radiator hoses several times. Just make sure your funnel has a good seal in the hole and that you keep coolant in it. If you let it go down, it might suck in more air.

Another thing to buy or rent to help you is a radiator pressure tester. It has several radiator cap adapters that seal the radiator while it pumps air into it to help locate leaks. I bought mine at Harbor Freight for $39. Worth every penny. I found a leak in the bottom of my sons radiator in seconds.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2005 Civic losing coolent

THANK ALL OF YOU HAVE TAKEN YOUR TIME TO HELP OUT, HAPPY AND A PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU! ! ! ! !
Old 01-01-2017, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can borrow a pressure tested at autozone and try that. You can also add a dye to the coolant that will glow under UV light. There a few things that have already been mentioned that are easy to do. Check the oil to see if it looks like coffee with cream in it. Hope you find a leak and not milky oil. I just went through this for a 2001 Civic. Ended up being the radiator leaking, replaced it with a Denso (which the car came with) I bought on Amazon. Honda wanted almost 300 for the denso radiator, got a denso radiator for 45 bucks. Good luck.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rodav8
There are many things that could cause this. I've listed a few below. You might check out the STICKY on overheating/coolant loss for additional steps. Is it overheating?

1. Check your oil. If it's milky you are losing coolant into the engine oil. That's usually caused by a bad head gasket or, less likely, a crack in the block.. These engines are prone to head gasket failures. I have replaced 2 since my son bought his 4 years ago.
2. Is white smoke coming out the tailpipe? Could also be a head gasket issue.
3. Bad heater core. Pray its not this!!!! if your carpet is soggy, as bandit67 said, then it's your heater core. But like I said...PRAY TO A HIGHER POWER THAT IT ISN'T THIS!!!!
4. Check your overflow reservoir. Is it at the proper level? If its full you have an issue.
5. Check every nook and cranny on the left side of the head by the Evap solenoid. Sometimes leaks develop in that area and aren't easily spotted.

That's about all I can think of now. Like I said, there is a STICKY note on the cooling system. Check it out for some awesome information. You'll learn a lot. Good Luck!!!
oh my. i seen that i have been losing coolant and my carpet is always soggy. How worried should i be and what should i do if this is the case?
Old 01-04-2017, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Carpet wet under dash on passenger side is leaky heater core. Get coolant leaks fixed ASAP! One overheat and you'll be replacing the head gasket.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by prodjay10
Carpet wet under dash on passenger side is leaky heater core. Get coolant leaks fixed ASAP! One overheat and you'll be replacing the head gasket.
my carpet is wet on driver side under dash, been like that for a while since summer of 2016, still is. It had overheat once and replaced headgasket. You think itll happen again?