Notices
Honda / Acura Appearance related discussion for Honda / Acura vehicles

Flat black paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat black paint

I've decided to paint my car in flat black. The has severe rust on the doors which has been ground down and sprayed with rust converter. I have a WW 6 piece kit that will cover the rusted areas of the doors and have bondo glassed to smooth out any rough spots that are seen on the car, so it is ready for paint.

My question is do I just sand over the existing paint and spray over it. Also on the body kit(urethane) do I need to primer it first and put flex agent in it. Or can I just spray the urethane with the flat black. Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:25 AM

Default Re: Flat black paint (90-CRXSi)

ttt, already did a search, just need to know how to paint the urethane
Old 01-20-2003, 07:39 AM

scuff the car lightly just so the paint sticks. you dont need to sand it down, jsut enough to get through the clear coat.

i priemered my WW RS bumper the first time and it held up well, i ended up stripping it a year later and just painting it with out primer, i didnt notice a difference.

just use a good paint (krylon) i reccomend krylon ultra flat, or flat black, semi flat is ok too but takes a while to dull out.

Old 01-20-2003, 07:42 AM

semi-flat black

flat black

ultra flat black

Old 01-20-2003, 07:48 AM

Default Re: Flat black paint (Atari)

looks really nice, the ultra flat does look the best. Any problems with rust coming through the paint if you don't primer over that. It didn't look like the car had any rust but has any one else heard of the paint not sealing by itself.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:58 AM

the paint holds up fine, you just need to apply a good 3-4 coats, and then finish off the final coat with a fat tip , let the car ist in the sun, heat helps paint bond, over a week or two the paint bonds really well, jsut dont spill any gasoline on it.

i had my car spraypainted for almost 2 years. held up fine, the paint on the bumper chipped ina few spots from hitting a 2x4 on the freeway, but i just stripped it down and repainted it.

anytime you get a scratch or something happens you jsut respray the area or the car.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Flat black paint (Atari)

Don't flat black it. Use a semi-gloss...
Old 01-20-2003, 08:18 AM

Default Re: Flat black paint (Nameless)

Man spray painting your car is so cool. Dammit if you want it flat black at least do it right. If you ever want a nice paint job in the future at all the person that you pay to prep your car is gonna charge you more to get rid of all that shitty *** spray paint on it. It would all have to be stripped off for paint in the future. If you have to have it flat black, sand the whole car with some 320 wet or dry paper with plenty of water. Make everything as smooth as possible. The by yourself a nice filler\primer like sherman willams 2k prim. I dont condone priming your whole car cause its kinda of silly. (ask anyone with a painting background and they will tell you why). General rule of thumb with primer is that you shouldnt use it unless the area has been to or is bare metal or you are trying to fill deep sand scratches. No need to prim over an area that is nice and smooth. Just takes away from the chances of excellent paint adhesion. Oh and if you do prim the whole thing make sure that you wet sand it after wards with some like 800 to a 1000 grit with lots of water so its nice and smooth. Good luck with all that.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:42 AM

Default Re: Flat black paint (jDmDxTuRd)

I don't think I ever plan on getting a really nice paint job. It already has a decent amount of rust on it and I don't see any point to painting a car that probably has a 95% chance of the rust coming back. Or I could spend a couple grand in replacing the doors and welding in new quarter panels but it just dosn't seem worth it to me. Thanks for the info though.