Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Used Accord Purchase Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 08:14 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Accord Purchase Advice

Hey guys,

First post here, looked around and didn't find anything similar to this, so here it goes.

I am looking at used cars and 2003 Honda Accord is one of them, probably the EX option considering that I've been driving an older Volvo and now life without leather seats and all the other stupid comfort options will be difficult. I am not a big fan of the Honda style, but its reputation for reliability during a student's lifetime is more important.

I realise that this is the first year of a new generation Accord so I expect some stupid problems. Could someone please tell me what I should expect and whether a purchase of used 4dr or coupe (v6) will be worth my time. I will be in 3rd year of college and I need something that will not break the bank.

What are some common problems and when looking around what should I check for so that I know I will not be hit with repairs in the future.

Thanks
Old 06-26-2009, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Used Accord Purchase Advice

I have an 03 EX V6 Sedan. Some people have had problems with the V6 automatic transmission. There was a recall on it, but mine had the recall done at 15k miles, and I haven't had any problems with it. It now has 66k miles. The only problem I had with the car is the radio screen went out. Just so happens, Honda extended the warranty on that part so I didn't pay for it. I change the transmission fluid often, just because I want to be on the safe side, changed the brake pads recently, but that's about it. The engine runs smooth as silk, and has plenty of passing power. It doesn't have the highest quality leather on the seats, but nothing I can really complain about. Let's just say, I would buy it again (maybe not in Black, that color is Hell).
Old 06-27-2009, 06:33 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Why do you want a V6?

Have you driven an EX-L 4-cylinder at all?
Old 06-27-2009, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 2 2003 Accords.A V6 Coupe HFP and a V6 Ex Sedan with Nav.

Both are great cars and are awesome values at the current market prices.As others have stated the Auto Transmission on the V6's is the biggest problem.My wife's V6 sedan has 115,000 miles and has never had a problem at all.My coupe had the tranny replaced at about 75,000 miles but Honda did chip in and pay for 75% of it and it's been great ever since.

Before buying get the VIN and check with Honda to see if the tranny has been replaced and if the oil squirter recall has been done.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Targa250R
Why do you want a V6?

Have you driven an EX-L 4-cylinder at all?
Why not? My last Accord was a 4 cyl., and the V6 is just so much smoother, and more powerful. It's like a higher class of car. Now that I'm used to the V6, I could never go back to wimpy again. I like having passing power to spare, not slamming the pedal to the floor and praying. For my needs, the 7th and 8th gen Accords are too big and heavy for 4 cylinder power.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BLKFLSH
Why not? My last Accord was a 4 cyl., and the V6 is just so much smoother, and more powerful. It's like a higher class of car. Now that I'm used to the V6, I could never go back to wimpy again. I like having passing power to spare, not slamming the pedal to the floor and praying. For my needs, the 7th and 8th gen Accords are too big and heavy for 4 cylinder power.
Yep after having the 06 that's a V6 I would not want to even think about going back to the 4cylinder.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:46 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKFLSH
What you've described is nothing close to the driving experience of an '03+ Accord 4-cylinder. It sounds a lot to me like you're comparing an '03+ V6 to an F-series 4-cylinder from older generations, which is not an apples-to-apples comparison.

I drive both on a regular basis and find the V6 to be rather useless and wasteful. It's more expensive to drive and maintain without any real benefit over the K24 model other than highway onramp tomfoolery - and I don't know about you, but I wouldn't buy an automatic Accord for the sole purpose of running it at the drag strip. Add the questionable transmission on '03 and '04 models into the mix, and I find the EX-L 4-cylinder to be the smarter bet.

Most people who write off the K24-powered Accord haven't actually driven one to know. It's absolutely nothing like the F22 or F23 engine from older Accords. Most people can't even tell the difference between the K24A4 and the J30A4 until they get into the meat of the midrange past 4000 RPM, where you won't be doing most of your driving anyway.

I've had people come back from a test drive of a K24 Accord and unknowingly ask me what size V6 engine it had in it. It's that good.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When we got the 06 I test drove both a 4cylinder and the v6. The v6 felt like it had quite ab it more power. The 4cylinder wasn't some slow gutless thing. Don't get me wrong it was decent but I liked the V6 much much better power wise. Not much else I don't like about it either. We get great gas mileage in ours so I can't complain there. Better than the 96 4cylinder we have and have way more power. If I had to do it over again I'd never even think about getting the 4cylinder. Can't hurt to test drive both but if you do and want power you will more than likely end up with the V6 like me.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The 92 Accord I had was 140hp in a much lighter car than the 7th gen. I think the get-up-and-go was comparable with the 7th gen 4 cylinder. Where the 4 cylinder fell short was passing power on the highway (60mph and above range). I have never drag raced my car, and I see no reason to go full throttle from a stop. Loaded with 4 adults, I don't think the K24 is comparable at highway speeds. Also, I live next to a pretty busy road, and I can easily tell when an Accord is accelerating by. The 4 cylinder is noisy, and the V6 is silent. Not a big thing, but just another way the V6 shines. Even when just cruising around town, the v6 is better IMO.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep I love how quiet the V6 in our Accord is compared to the 4cylinders which even stock seem to be quite noisy.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Trial User

Thanks for the replies. I keep hearing transmission and brakes issues in V6 Automatics, how common are these. I will be looking at a 2003 Accord V6 EX Automatic Coupe. Its got 66K and they want $10,000 for it, but I'll talk them down if I like the car. The car looks awesome, and has been dealer maintained. Front pads & rotors were done at 60K. Any advice on what to look out for?

EDIT: I heard there is also a recall for the tranny, what up to what mileage does that apply to?

Last edited by SlavaD; 06-28-2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not sure on a 03 although I will say I'm not all that impressed with the brakes on our 06. The reason I say that is around 30k or so I had to change the front ones. The pads had plenty of life left but the rotors were warped and caused shaking. Now at 58k if they get hot like driving in mountains or something like that they seem to slightly shake like they are getting warped again. I'm not sure if they are or not but for normal driving it's fine so I hope they last a while longer.

The 96 Accord has always had a problem eating rotors too. Must be a Honda thing. other than that both have been pretty great cars. I can deal with rotors warping.

As for the automatic I can't comment on it. I don't like the automatic in the 96 Accord a whole lot and am very glad I got the 6speed in the 06.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Go for the used 4dr.