Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Accord '04 Clutch/Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accord '04 Clutch/Transmission Issue

Hello all,

I've searched the interwebz far and wide, but I'm having a difficult time finding someone who has had my specific problem. I found a few similar issues on honda-tech and some other honda forums, but nothing quite like it. I'm a total noob when it comes to car maintenance, so please forgive me if I sound like a moron. I'll give you the specs, explain the problem, and let you know where my troubleshooting/searching has led me so far:

2004 Honda Accord V6 6MT. 160k miles. I have owned the car since 32k miles, and I have never replaced the clutch or any of the clutch's components. The only significant mechanical work that has been performed is a CV joint replacement, a motor mount, and a radiator replacement. Regular maintenance such as timing belts, oil changes, etc, has all been maintained as recommended. Everything is stock except for the exhaust, and the car is lowered about 1/2 inch (both mods were done before I bought the car.

My problem started off with a faint clicking noise when traveling in 2nd gear with the clutch engaged. The clicking would get faster as the vehicle accelerated, and it would slow down as the vehicle decelerated. The problem spread to also include reverse over time. A faint clicking noise when the clutch was engaged that got faster and slower depending on the vehicle's speed. If I depress the clutch, the sound will go away (even if it's still in 2nd or reverse).

Today, the problem has compounded. The faint clicking noise I once heard in 2nd gear has become quite loud, and I can now hear a click noise when in 2nd, reverse, and neutral. The clicking is still faint in reverse and neutral.

I have not noticed any difference in drivability. It's just a noise, at this point, but it's a noise that has me very worried.

I have had four different mechanics look at the car. Two of them said it was clutch related (clutch springs or throw-out bearing), two of them said it was transmission related (possibly a bearing, synchro, or fork). None of those mechanics looked at it since the noise has become more pronounced in second gear.

My research on the internet and honda-tech has mostly yielded the suggestion that it could be the throw-out bearing or input shaft bearing, but no one has had quite the same symptoms as me (most people only hear a clicking in neutral, or the clicking doesn't get faster/slower, etc.). Also, no one seems to have followed up with a resolution to their problem (which I intend to do, once this problem is fixed)

I'm really at a loss, and I'm hoping someone will have a good suggestion for me. My initial thought is that since I likely have 160k on my clutch, it might be clutch related (I'm hoping it's the clutch rather than the tranny), but I'm just clueless about this sort of thing. Any help is much appreciated.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Accord '04 Clutch/Transmission Issue

Update:

Surprised to see that no one had anything to add. No problem. I took it to a handful of places and received a different diagnosis from each place. Shifting forks, synchros, case bearings, flywheel, clutch springs... the whole gamut.

I would have liked to try to do the work myself, but I don't have the necessary tools or time for such a task, so I finally settled on a shop that recommended swapping the transmission and doing a clutch kit. They suspected it was the input shaft bearing, they thought 2nd gear was missing teeth (had been since I bought the car at 30k, I think), and the synchro for 2nd. It's being ripped apart and swapped as I type. If I get an update on what the ACTUAL problem was, I'll edit this post to provide that information.