Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

YEAAAA BUDDY!! Nice Score at the U-Pull-It Today! Auto-Manual Swap + SOHC Head!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YEAAAA BUDDY!! Nice Score at the U-Pull-It Today! Auto-Manual Swap + SOHC Head!

I'm so Happy! I just got back from spending 3 hours in the U-Pull-it yard. i originally went their to find just a F22A1 head to fix my spun bearing problem. ended up leaving with alot more than expected. Heres a list. i might be forgetting some.

1. F22A1 Head from smashed accord (285000K miles! but the only other one was 335000K)
2. Complete Dash trim, cluster trim, all vents and cupholder
3. Complete Climate control assembly
4. Manual transmission
5. Console Trim for Manual
6. Shift ****
7. Shift Linkage/Cables/Complete assembly
8. ECU From Manual accord
9. Clutch Pedal assembly W/Slave Cylinder assembly(Holy Crap was that hard to remove!)
10. 1 Corner Light
11. Flywheel in case i need it for the swap
12. Misc Bolts(i lose **** alot)

I went their with my girl and told her it would take maybe 45 min just to get the head off but once i seen the perfect donor car i couldn't resist! I went to town on this car. my girl is not exactly mechanically inclined but even she grabbed some tools and did whatever she could. We ended up spending a grand total of $98.20 on all the parts! Talk about a good day at the yard! We spent close to 3 hours getting it done and i was just finishing getting the last few odds and end out when the yard was closing.

Sooo.... Now I'm gonna finally ditch my auto tranny and swap to manual. Does anyone notice anything missing for the swap? What will i need to do to remove the TCU and use the manual ecu? i would have took the complete harness but someone snipped a few ends off so i decided to look around or modify mine.
Can i just use the manual Ecu and leave the other plugs unhooked?

Firstly i gotta pull the engine out and prep it. still need to grab a head gasket and put the New(old) head back on the block. i need to get a OEM clutch and pressure plate since the one at the yard was DEF not gonna be good so i left it.

I am excited to see how much of a difference my accord will feel with the Manual Trans and nitrous. The Nitrous felt like **** with the auto and the trans is about shot now so I'm glad i found this donor car. Another question....How do i know what tranny this is? I know nothing about accord trannys what models did they come in and how are the gear ratio? Is it possible i could have gotten a 4 speed or did accords only come 5 speed?

Thanks in advance for anyone who felt like reading and help me. i'm just excited to finally ditch the auto!

Old 03-19-2006, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: YEAAAA BUDDY!! Nice Score at the U-Pull-It Today! Auto-Manual Swap + SOHC Head! (Brain3208)

pull the tcu off and your gonna have to loop the wires so it will start with it being in "P" when you pull your auto shifter off...
Old 03-19-2006, 04:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: YEAAAA BUDDY!! Nice Score at the U-Pull-It Today! Auto-Manual Swap + SOHC Head! (g-wagon)

if it is a manual, it is a 5 speed
Old 03-19-2006, 04:27 PM

Default Re: YEAAAA BUDDY!! Nice Score at the U-Pull-It Today! Auto-Manual Swap + SOHC Head! (Brain3208)

Yeah your missing a few things.
#1 manual starter they don't inner change
#2 drivers side axel.it's differant
#3 new fly wheel and clutch.Although on my 5spd swap I used the flywheel and pressure plate from the junkyard just because they were in really great condition.

You were right about the ECU and TCU just unplugg the tcu and plugg in the manual ecu.

The trans mount is kind of a pain though.Between the auto and the manual they have differant mounts on the car you have to cut the mount off and reweld it to the car where it lines up with the trans mount.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1237137

heres the thread I used for info for my swap.

Old 03-19-2006, 06:26 PM

Default Re: YEAAAA BUDDY!! Nice Score at the U-Pull-It Today! Auto-Manual Swap + SOHC Head! (Dmc1)

Thanks for the link, I didn't know the starters were different. ok so know i know what else i need. just gotta hope the car i stripped it from is still their to get the stuff i left behind.

Old 03-19-2006, 09:58 PM

Yeah hopefully the axels are in good shape mine were new.Still had the napa sticker on them.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: YEAAAA BUDDY!! Nice Score at the U-Pull-It Today! Auto-Manual Swap + SOHC Head! (Dmc1)

Ha, great find indeed.

i went to couple of place in LA, all i found is some carb'ed accord and abunch of blew dsm and a switch blade knife
Old 03-19-2006, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

grab the halfshalft, clutch hydraulic line, tranny mount and rear mount and mount bracket (will be a bitch w/ the motor still in the bay, but can be done with some extensions and crowfeet wrenches) on your trip back. nice score!

and ya socal yards suck. all the good cars are stripped by dismantlers and sold for outrageous prices. i would be lucky if i could find anything honda 1990 and up at the yards around here.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (raceACCORDingly)

all we have in VA are 90 -93 accords at our pick apart place.. we never have anything higher..

ive gone every week for the past few months and when i finally see a 97 (i have been looking for a hood) the car looked like it went head on with a semi.. the only thing that was good was the trunk, and teh seats. lol i have no idea why it was even there.. litterally everything was smashed or dented beyond repair. i guess they like to give false hope to people like me that needs a few things off a 97

but great find
Old 03-20-2006, 07:15 AM

Default Re: (Honda_Accord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raceACCORDingly &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">grab the halfshalft, clutch hydraulic line, tranny mount and rear mount and mount bracket (will be a bitch w/ the motor still in the bay, but can be done with some extensions and crowfeet wrenches) on your trip back. nice score!

and ya socal yards suck. all the good cars are stripped by dismantlers and sold for outrageous prices. i would be lucky if i could find anything honda 1990 and up at the yards around here.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok I'll Grab all the engine mounts from the car. i took the cylinder head off so it shouldn't be too hard to get to the mounts now. i'm worried about getting the half shaft though with my limited tools. i was in junkyard mode borrowing tools and scavenging stuff to pull the head off. Do i need the axle assembly that bolt to the tranny(like the intermediate shaft in a B16 Civic) or is it just the one axle? if it's only the one axles i need i may just buy a new one cause the car was pretty tore up it came from. i remember seeing the axles ripped out from someone taking the front hubs. I noticed for the passenger side mount people are drilling out a hole right next to the stock on on the frame were some people are just re-welding it. i would rather just drill the hole out but if i do that do i still need to grab the mounts? I'll get everything i need next weekend or maybe stop at the yard before work tommor morning. i don't wanna lose anything.

The Clutch Line was broken and bent up before i got to it but i think i may use some stainless lines just to clean up my bay.

Our yard around here usually are stripped to death also on anything honda related. I got lucky when i seen this car. I went to work on one and then in another my girl found all my dash trims that were busted up in my car. saved me lots of cash on that since they were $125 on ebay and only 6 bucks at the u-pull-it.

I'll be updating this post with pictures prolly tommorow to document my Conversion to manual.

Brain
Old 03-20-2006, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Brain3208)

cant wait to see the pics
Old 03-20-2006, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Honda_Accord)

halfshaft = intermediate shaft. you just need a ratchet and a set of sockets.

with the head/intake manifold off, the rear mount shouldnt be a problem then.