Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Turn Signal Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 05:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Signal Problem

Have a strange problem w/ my '94 Accord. When turn signal is first put on, either left or right, nothing happens for a second or two. Then I hear a fast ckicking noise like the signal wants to work, but there's no flashing light. Then after a second or two, the blinker actually starts working properly. This behavior is especially bad when the weather's cold (a frequent situation in upstate NY), and the problem is most noticeable after the car's been sitting all night. It only rarely happens during the day after it's been driven some.

Dealership recommended most obvious solution which is to replace the flasher relay. Did that, but problem continues. I'm guessing a loose connection or frayed wire is to blame, but I'm not anxious to pay the dealer $65/hour to trace the wiring.

I'm on my own for this one, so if anyone could point me in the right direction as far as where I might look for the source of the problem, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:55 PM

Default Re: Turn Signal Problem (dbest1)

check your combination switch
Old 05-15-2004, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is your hazard light switch connected, i know when mine is not connected my turn signals don't work (or at least don't display on the gauge cluster)
Old 05-15-2004, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dbest1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have a strange problem w/ my '94 Accord. When turn signal is first put on, either left or right, nothing happens for a second or two. Then I hear a fast ckicking noise like the signal wants to work, but there's no flashing light. Then after a second or two, the blinker actually starts working properly. This behavior is especially bad when the weather's cold ( </TD></TR></TABLE>
Sounds like a bad turn signal switch, i've seen a few doing that.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:32 AM

Default Re: Turn Signal Problem (Chiovnidca)

Thanks all.

OK, here's where I show my newbie colors (I always say I know enough to be dangerous........)

What's a "combination switch" ? Where is it ? How would I go about replacing it ?

Emergency flashers are connected and working properly.

Bad turn signal switch ? I assume you mean inside the steering column. I know, a dumb question, but can the steering wheel be removed safely, without setting off the airbag ? I'm used to working on older cars without airbags..........

Thanks again.

Old 05-17-2004, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 'combination switch' is Honda's name for the turnsignal/headlight switch combined together.

I don't have a '94, but you can probably take off the plastic shrounds around the steering column, & remove the switch without removing the steering wheel.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turn Signal Problem (JimBlake)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JimBlake &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The 'combination switch' is Honda's name for the turnsignal/headlight switch combined together.

I don't have a '94, but you can probably take off the plastic shrounds around the steering column, & remove the switch without removing the steering wheel.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
The combination switch is Hondas name for the turnsignal/ headlight switch combined with the wiper switch. They've been nice on the newer cars allowing just the individual switch to be replaced instead of the whole assembly.

The h/l switch can be replaced without removing the steering wheel on 94 models.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chiovnidca &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The combination switch is Hondas name for the turnsignal/ headlight switch combined with the wiper switch.</TD></TR></TABLE>On my '95 Integra the Helm book calls the turnsignal/headlight switch the 'combination switch', & it can be removed separately from the wiper switch. So some of them are all 3 in one, huh??
Old 05-18-2004, 03:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turn Signal Problem (JimBlake)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JimBlake &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> So some of them are all 3 in one, huh??
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yea, used to be that was the only way to get them.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:51 AM

Thanks everyone. I'll try replacing the combo switch...........