Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Speedo Works randomly

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo Works randomly

At first I thought it was the cold weather hampering the speedo. But it was 55F today and it still worked sporatically. Im thinking it is the VSS.
How much do those suckers cost?
Old 12-27-2008, 07:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Speedo Works randomly

I wonder if there is a CEL?
I wonder WHAT YEAR?
Old 12-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShallot
At first I thought it was the cold weather hampering the speedo. But it was 55F today and it still worked sporatically. Im thinking it is the VSS.
How much do those suckers cost?
TAS gets 108$ for the puppy.
Majestic Honda may be cheaper (surprisingly).
Ebay is sometime an option, But I question the quality of many ebay items.
You'll find it under the distributor; mounted to the transmission case.
It looks like this:

P
Old 12-28-2008, 12:42 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

google honda VSA repair and try to fix it yourself first.....you can save yourself a big chunk of change
Old 12-28-2008, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by hondadude
I wonder if there is a CEL?
I wonder WHAT YEAR?

Is that your cute little way of asking a question?

If so no, no check engine light. Its a 1994 4-door with a V-tec

Maybe I can get one from a junk yard?
Old 12-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

def. the speed sensor. snag one from a junkyard or the dealer.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Probably not the VSS since there is no CEL. It may be the speedometer circuit board. You can just replace the speedometer printed circuit board (PCB) so that you retain the original odometer reading. Once you get the instrument cluster out, just gently pull the separate speedometer circuit board out by hand. There are separate PCBs in back of the instrument cluster.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:02 PM

Actually I can get a new VSS for $58 from this place http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...4,partGroup,18

Old 12-28-2008, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Probably not the VSS since there is no CEL. It may be the speedometer circuit board. You can just replace the speedometer printed circuit board (PCB) so that you retain the original odometer reading. Once you get the instrument cluster out, just gently pull the separate speedometer circuit board out by hand. There are separate PCBs in back of the instrument cluster.

CRAP!!!!!!!!!! Do I have to take the whole center console out to get to the cluster? Where do I get a circuit board??????? ARRRGH!
Old 12-28-2008, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^^^^^^
Old 12-28-2008, 12:09 PM

^^^^^^^^

Okaaaaaay...... but do I have to remove the center console to get to the cluster??? And how does someone get thier hands on a different / new board?
Old 12-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

CRAP!!!!!!!!!! Do I have to take the whole center console out to get to the cluster? Where do I get a circuit board??????? ARRRGH!

Yes, you have to remove it. But, it is not that hard, just a little time consuming. You can get the circuit board from a used instrument cluster for the same year, you do not to match the trim level such as DX, LX, EX. Here are links to the removal of the cluster:

http://ledautomotive.com/guide.php?id_cms=40

http://ledautomotive.com/guide.php?id_cms=44

If I get a chance, I'll try to take a picture of the PCB on the back of the cluster for you. Ignore part of the instructions in the links, as you do not need to remove the climate control, only the center console.

Last edited by redbull-1; 11-13-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Once you have the instrument cluster out, press the black clips (7 in total) to release, then remove the 4 philips screws holding the speedometer (first picture).

Second picture is removed speedometer. Just gently pull the circuit board off by hand.
Attached Images    
Old 12-28-2008, 12:41 PM

Thanks man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this a common problem?
Old 12-28-2008, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this a common problem?
Yes, with wear.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:10 PM

Yes, with wear.

The car only has 154K miles on it. Im starting to think thats not accurate.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The car only has 154K miles on it. Im starting to think thats not accurate.
The car would also be about 14 years old. The pictures are from my former 95, replaced 2-3 years ago. Vibrations, blown capacitors, etc. or poor or loose solder can cause this. You may even be able to fix it by re-soldering the the solder joints.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys,
Can this circuit board be repaired or must it be replaced? If it can be fix, what can I do to it to fix it? Capacitors replacement and resoldering points?
Thanks.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bad_dude
Hey guys,
Can this circuit board be repaired or must it be replaced? If it can be fix, what can I do to it to fix it? Capacitors replacement and resoldering points?
Thanks.
Anyone knows, please tell me before I order a whole cluster.
Thanks.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:55 PM
Trial User

Once you have the instrument cluster out, press the black clips (7 in total) to release, then remove the 4 philips screws holding the speedometer (first picture).

Second picture is removed speedometer. Just gently pull the circuit board off by hand.
This is the key!! My odometer/speedometer only worked intermittently and i read 169k. The guy who sold me the car already had bought an extra cluster (this odom read 250k) and vehicle speed sensor and left it in the trunk because he didn't know which was the problem. He did tell me there was a problem, though. So after reading this post I ripped apart my dash cluster and found that little memory board that slips right off of the back of the cluster and replaced it with the other circuit board from the other cluster. Presto! I haven't had a speedometer/odometer failure since. The speedometer is accurate and the odometer registers miles. Thank you REDBULL
Old 09-15-2011, 05:33 PM
Trial User

Here is a quick way to check if it is the vss sensor or the speedo circuit board. Go for a test drive and try to set the cruise control while the speedo is not working. If the cruise works then it is not a vss problem. The cruise gets its signal from the vss so if the vss is not sending a signal then obviously the cruise would not engage. I sell a lot of 1994-1997 Accords and this simple test has not failed me yet. Most of the time it is the speedo circuit board and I send them to a speedo repair shop in Richmond, VA and they rebuild it for around $100 and they keep the same miles on the odometer. Just to give you a heads up, once I did have a car that had a bad vss sensor and a bad circuit board but 90% of the time it is just the circuit board. I've tried using salvage yard clusters but in my experience 50% of the time they are bad too. I found it easier and more reliable to just go with a rebuilt unit, plus it has a warranty.

Last edited by hondadude1; 09-15-2011 at 05:46 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-15-2011, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondadude1
Here is a quick way to check if it is the vss sensor or the speedo circuit board. Go for a test drive and try to set the cruise control while the speedo is not working. If the cruise works then it is not a vss problem. The cruise gets its signal from the vss so if the vss is not sending a signal then obviously the cruise would not engage. I sell a lot of 1994-1997 Accords and this simple test has not failed me yet. Most of the time it is the speedo circuit board and I send them to a speedo repair shop in Richmond, VA and they rebuild it for around $100 and they keep the same miles on the odometer. Just to give you a heads up, once I did have a car that had a bad vss sensor and a bad circuit board but 90% of the time it is just the circuit board. I've tried using salvage yard clusters but in my experience 50% of the time they are bad too. I found it easier and more reliable to just go with a rebuilt unit, plus it has a warranty.
Well, if you're going to pay $100 for a repair of the speedo circuit board and want reliability and warranty, you might as well buy a new speedo from Honda, list price is around $100, and you can buy cheaper from an on-line Honda dealer. Then pull the new circuit board off the new one and place on old speedo to keep the same mileage. New speedo heads from Honda have warranty.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just want to confirm that the circuit board simply slides off the back of the speedometer and a replacement can then be slid back on?
Old 09-24-2011, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by flyjazz
Just want to confirm that the circuit board simply slides off the back of the speedometer and a replacement can then be slid back on?
Yep, it only goes on one way too, so you can't really mess up. You just pull it off by hand.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Trial User

Well, if you're going to pay $100 for a repair of the speedo circuit board and want reliability and warranty, you might as well buy a new speedo from Honda, list price is around $100, and you can buy cheaper from an on-line Honda dealer. Then pull the new circuit board off the new one and place on old speedo to keep the same mileage. New speedo heads from Honda have warranty.
Also, Pick N Pulls will have em. Just go rip out a gauge cluster and get your circuit board. Cost ya $20 Maximum, and a little time, totally worth it.

Quick Reply: Speedo Works randomly