Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

RPM Won't Go past 4000 RPM 00 Accord Coupe 4 cyl F23a1

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 RPM Won't Go past 4000 RPM 00 Accord Coupe 4 cyl F23a1

I have a 00 Accord manual coupe 4 cyl which has the f23a1 motor. I'm having an issue with my engine and it will rev limit at 4000 rpm. It's supposed to be at around 6200 RPM. There is no CEL or an obvious clue to start with. I'm also experiencing a sluggish low end power with the engine ever since this happened. Apparently I've heard that the engine is in "limp mode". What can be triggering this issue? I've went to multiple mechanics and I've been told all sorts of things. One said the timing belt needs to be replaced, another said there's a Vtec solenoid issue. And one said there is something wrong with a sensor or a bad ground. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what needs to be replaced or repaired? I'm so frustrated and cannot seem to pinpoint what's truly wrong. Thank you
Old 01-02-2017, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RPM Won't Go past 4000 RPM 00 Accord Coupe 4 cyl F23a1

If you go to a place like AutoZone they can scan the car for problems for free but it sounds like a clogged EGR system to me, which these cars are known for. EricTheCarGuy and Scotty Kilmer both have YouTube videos of how to clean out the EGR system yourself - it is really the passages in the intake after the EGR that clog up, usually, not the EGR itself. Watch the videos and you'll see. There is also a possibility that it is the catalytic converter clogging up (if the engine can't breath out it can't get enough new air in to go fast) and the fuel pump (weak fuel pump doesn't deliver enough fuel to go fast). Scotty Kilmer has YouTube videos on how to check your catalytic converter, and how to test your fuel pump.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Delight Galore
I have a 00 Accord manual coupe 4 cyl which has the f23a1 motor. I'm having an issue with my engine and it will rev limit at 4000 rpm. It's supposed to be at around 6200 RPM. There is no CEL or an obvious clue to start with. I'm also experiencing a sluggish low end power with the engine ever since this happened. Apparently I've heard that the engine is in "limp mode". What can be triggering this issue? I've went to multiple mechanics and I've been told all sorts of things. One said the timing belt needs to be replaced, another said there's a Vtec solenoid issue. And one said there is something wrong with a sensor or a bad ground. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what needs to be replaced or repaired? I'm so frustrated and cannot seem to pinpoint what's truly wrong. Thank you

Before anything I'd just like to say that I've never know an EGR blockage to cause a rev limiting issue..? I personally have deleted my entire EGR system, just saying.

At any rate could you plz be a bit more specific in regards to exactly what's happening when you're hitting this "rev limit"? Also DO NOT TRUST the mechanics (except maybe the last one you mentioned?) I highly doubt it's the timing belt, VTEC solenoid IS a possibility but VERY unlikely, and lastly it may be a sensor but the most probable out of all of those "diagnosis'" is the bad ground. And it's also something very easy for you to check on yourself. Let me know some more specifics though on what's happening when you try to rev it out?... like, does it break up around 4000rpm or is it bouncing as if hitting an actual rev limiter? Can you rev through it?...or are you immediately letting off of the throttle? Does this happen in ALL gears? Can you duplicate the issue while parked and in neutral? etc...etc... etc... I need ALL the details even the seemingly insignificant ones. I know you mentioned NO CEL, but do any other lights come on, blink, flash, anything, while this is happening? Lmk? I'll do my best to help you through this as I just recently sorted out a very similar problem on my own vehicle (for me it was the alternator) only after, literally, running through the ENTIRE gamut of possibilities. So yea give me the specifics and I'll try to get you sorted out. OH! And feel free to look up my threads on the subject also (there were several) I believe there were 3 in total including my build thread all of which addressed this exact issue.

I forgot to ask also; is there ANY mods to the engine/electrical system (anti-theft device, stereo, cold air intake, remote starter, etc...etc...) and if so plz list them also?
Old 01-02-2017, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by user456101
If you go to a place like AutoZone they can scan the car for problems for free but it sounds like a clogged EGR system to me, which these cars are known for. EricTheCarGuy and Scotty Kilmer both have YouTube videos of how to clean out the EGR system yourself - it is really the passages in the intake after the EGR that clog up, usually, not the EGR itself. Watch the videos and you'll see. There is also a possibility that it is the catalytic converter clogging up (if the engine can't breath out it can't get enough new air in to go fast) and the fuel pump (weak fuel pump doesn't deliver enough fuel to go fast). Scotty Kilmer has YouTube videos on how to check your catalytic converter, and how to test your fuel pump.
I have just taken a look over their videos on a clogged EGR and a bad catalytic converter. It seems convincing and a simple fix to me. But what has me questioning is why does the engine speed specifically limit it's self at 4000 RPM? I'll definitely look at the EGR and converter and reply back when I get the chance as I'm quite busy these days. Also this morning was quite strange when I was driving. I turned on my car and let it warm up for a few minutes like I usually do when going to work. Then as I was accelerating, this time the engine just rev limited at 3000 RPM. It was like that until I turned it off the car back on again. Then of course it went back to the frustrating 4000 RPM limit. This was the first time I experienced something like this.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LeeMajors19082
Before anything I'd just like to say that I've never know an EGR blockage to cause a rev limiting issue..? I personally have deleted my entire EGR system, just saying.

At any rate could you plz be a bit more specific in regards to exactly what's happening when you're hitting this "rev limit"? Also DO NOT TRUST the mechanics (except maybe the last one you mentioned?) I highly doubt it's the timing belt, VTEC solenoid IS a possibility but VERY unlikely, and lastly it may be a sensor but the most probable out of all of those "diagnosis'" is the bad ground. And it's also something very easy for you to check on yourself. Let me know some more specifics though on what's happening when you try to rev it out?... like, does it break up around 4000rpm or is it bouncing as if hitting an actual rev limiter? Can you rev through it?...or are you immediately letting off of the throttle? Does this happen in ALL gears? Can you duplicate the issue while parked and in neutral? etc...etc... etc... I need ALL the details even the seemingly insignificant ones. I know you mentioned NO CEL, but do any other lights come on, blink, flash, anything, while this is happening? Lmk? I'll do my best to help you through this as I just recently sorted out a very similar problem on my own vehicle (for me it was the alternator) only after, literally, running through the ENTIRE gamut of possibilities. So yea give me the specifics and I'll try to get you sorted out. OH! And feel free to look up my threads on the subject also (there were several) I believe there were 3 in total including my build thread all of which addressed this exact issue.

I forgot to ask also; is there ANY mods to the engine/electrical system (anti-theft device, stereo, cold air intake, remote starter, etc...etc...) and if so plz list them also?
Basically what would happen is when you reach the rev limiter on any car. It would just bang/bounce on 4000 RPM like it normally did at 6200 RPM. It does this on all gears and when in neutral. Doesn't matter what speed I'm going and what gear I'm in. No light comes on (low oil, CEL, maintenance required light etc.) at all. There is nothing unusual engine wise except of course for the 4000 rev limit. Also I would like to mention even though this may not be relevant. The interior lighting for the HVAC randomly turns off and on. Also the modes for the ventilation (floor, front defrost, rear defrost etc) wouldn't work if the lighting went out. It would flicker with like a 5 second interval. Sometimes I have to turn off the car and turn it back on to use the HVAC. I don't know if this has anything to do with our topic though.

All the mods I have are HID headlights, Megan Racing exhaust manifold, aftermarket muffler, aftermarket touch screen display for radio, mp3, aux and bluetooth etc and lowering shocks and springs. I had a colf air intake but I it back to stock because it was too low to the ground and was risky if it rained.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Basically what would happen is when you reach the rev limiter on any car. It would just bang/bounce on 4000 RPM like it normally did at 6200 RPM. It does this on all gears and when in neutral. Doesn't matter what speed I'm going and what gear I'm in. No light comes on (low oil, CEL, maintenance required light etc.) at all. There is nothing unusual engine wise except of course for the 4000 rev limit. Also I would like to mention even though this may not be relevant. The interior lighting for the HVAC randomly turns off and on. Also the modes for the ventilation (floor, front defrost, rear defrost etc) wouldn't work if the lighting went out. It would flicker with like a 5 second interval. Sometimes I have to turn off the car and turn it back on to use the HVAC. I don't know if this has anything to do with our topic though.

All the mods I have are HID headlights, Megan Racing exhaust manifold, aftermarket muffler, aftermarket touch screen display for radio, mp3, aux and bluetooth etc and lowering shocks and springs. I had a colf air intake but I it back to stock because it was too low to the ground and was risky if it rained.

I had this issue where I was stuck in limp mode. The issue was that I had a leak between the engine block and the distributor. There was enough oil to where the light didn't come on, but not enough to engage VTEC at 4000 RPM.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:22 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by qwazzy
I had this issue where I was stuck in limp mode. The issue was that I had a leak between the engine block and the distributor. There was enough oil to where the light didn't come on, but not enough to engage VTEC at 4000 RPM.
Thanks for posting this info. VTEC does have a lower threshold for oil pressure so it makes sense that an oil leak at the distributor could cause limp mode issues. This could help others.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

2 things; first, when you say it's "bouncing" like a rev limiter that immediately makes me think it's a limp-mode scenario, so I'd definitely look into the vtec solenoid and pressure switch ( as stated by qwazzy). Second, although it MAY not seem connected/related, the intermittent lights in the HVAC controls tells me there's an electrical/GROUNDING issue behind the dash, which in-turn could very well be affecting your speed-sensor/tachometer (and a multitude of other things)... So IF the vtec stuff doesn't pan out, then THAT would most definitely be the next place I'd go in my search to sort this out. So in short, 1st test the vtec system... and IF that doesn't fix it, start testing ALL of your grounds behind the dash and in the engine bay.

Originally Posted by qwazzy
I have to agree this is good info. Iirc it's possible to bypass the vtec pressure switch though, w/o going into limp mode..? That may just be in OBD1 situations though? Definitely worth looking into either way. Because that particular oil leak, from the distributor, has a tendency to run down on a large portion of the wire harness, along with quite a few sensors, which can all get a bit finicky when covered in oil.

Last edited by LeeMajors19082; 01-15-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LeeMajors19082
2 things; first, when you say it's "bouncing" like a rev limiter that immediately makes me think it's a limp-mode scenario, so I'd definitely look into the vtec solenoid and pressure switch ( as stated by qwazzy). Second, although it MAY not seem connected/related, the intermittent lights in the HVAC controls tells me there's an electrical/GROUNDING issue behind the dash, which in-turn could very well be affecting your speed-sensor/tachometer (and a multitude of other things)... So IF the vtec stuff doesn't pan out, then THAT would most definitely be the next place I'd go in my search to sort this out. So in short, 1st test the vtec system... and IF that doesn't fix it, start testing ALL of your grounds behind the dash and in the engine bay.

I have to agree this is good info. Iirc it's possible to bypass the vtec pressure switch though, w/o going into limp mode..? That may just be in OBD1 situations though? Definitely worth looking into either way. Because that particular oil leak, from the distributor, has a tendency to run down on a large portion of the wire harness, along with quite a few sensors, which can all get a bit finicky when covered in oil.
I found out the issue. When I took it to a mechanic it was showing the P1259 code. It was a VTEC solenoid malfunction after all. Thanks for the help though
Old 02-07-2017, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I found out the issue. When I took it to a mechanic it was showing the P1259 code. It was a VTEC solenoid malfunction after all. Thanks for the help though
That's GREAT man! I'm happy you got it sorted out... my rev issue was the worst experience I've had thus far with my Honda. That said though, it could've been worse.
Old 06-20-2023, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my car is doing the exact thing but it’s an 01 4dr accord with the f23a4 instead of the f23a1 (mines California emissions rated). I can’t figure out what’s wrong with it and it’s really starting to **** me off. I just got a cylendar misfire code and have heard pops recently.